M2 Tactical Shotgun Question

Airplaneguy

I recently purchased an M2 Tactical shotgun with Comfortech stock for home defense. It is a fine-shooting gun for the purpose I bought it. But, as I was shooting clays with my trusty Browning A-5 last weekend, I wonderered if it would be possible and/or practical to buy an additional barrel for the tactical model in order to shoot clays. It is such a fine shooting gun, I would love to extend its capabilities.

I think the barrels are interchangeable, and the front ghost sight would thus be eliminated, but I would still have the tactical rear sight on the reciever end. How would I deal with that?

I will always want to be able to return the gun to its intended purpose when not on the range - i.e. a home defense.

Has anyone tried to modify the tactical for trap shooting? Is this a ridiculous idea?

I can hit clays with my M2 tactical PG with ghost rings all day long. I can out shoot my brother law when he uses his mossberg 500 28" vent rib barrel with bead sight. Its so nice having a semi that can get 3-4 shots off in the same time he can only get 1 maybe 2 at the most.

I can hit clays with my M2 tactical PG with ghost rings all day long. I can out shoot my brother law when he uses his mossberg 500 28" vent rib barrel with bead sight. Its so nice having a semi that can get 3-4 shots off in the same time he can only get 1 maybe 2 at the most.

Thanks Guys for your comments. I'm new to this Web game, so please forgive me if I'm not following protocal by responding to the correct message in order.

I think I was swayed by the guy who sold me the M-2 tactical. He said it was excellent for home defense, but he might shoot turkeys with it. He said it was foolish to buy this gun thinking I could buy another barrel to shoot anything else

My primary idea was home defense. But the more I practice with it, I think it is going to go to waste sitting in my closet waiting for the hopefully never-to-happen event that someone breaks into our house in the middle of the night.

After your comments, I will try shooting clays in the tactical configuration first, since that is the easiest thing to do. I thought it might work, but I was afraid that all of that ghost ring hardware might get in the way.

If that does not work, then buying a second barrel and sometimes removing the rear sight when I shoot clays sounds like a reasonable alternative.

I'm just glad that I am not alone in thinkng that this is such a wonderful gun to restrict to a single use.

Thanks again.

I find the ghost rings very easy to use because I have used them on rifles both growing up and in the military. I never really got used to the bead sight or the blade type sights on shotguns. For some, mostly old school shotgun guys, they cant seem to use the ghost rings for clay or trap use because the rear sight "gets in the way". Its second nature to me, as soon as I shoulder the weapon I dont even see the rear sight, and I focus on the front sight post. I use the protective side ears as a reference point to lead the target if needed.

A fun drill (only allowed if you are at a real range :)) is to have one round of skeet loaded in the chamber followed by a slug in the tube. Have a buddy throw a clay for you and take it out with the trap load or birdshot of your choice then use the slug to hit any target from 50-100 yards (I use a 32oz gatorade bottle at 100 yards). I fill the tube 8+1 alternating between bird shot and slugs and go from clay to bottle, clay to bottle until the tube is empty. This will really improve your ability to get the sight picture fast, and on target.

Good Luck

A fun drill (only allowed if you are at a real range :)) is to have one round of skeet loaded in the chamber followed by a slug in the tube. Have a buddy throw a clay for you and take it out with the trap load or birdshot of your choice then use the slug to hit any target from 50-100 yards (I use a 32oz gatorade bottle at 100 yards). I fill the tube 8+1 alternating between bird shot and slugs and go from clay to bottle, clay to bottle until the tube is empty. This will really improve your ability to get the sight picture fast, and on target.

Hey Stompy,

Your drill sounds like fun!

I'm going to give that one a try

Later,

Hookster :)