B&P Light Pheasant Loads

JSM

I have a few Benelli's, including a 12 ga Legacy Sport and a !2 ga Super Sport. I usually hunt Pheasant with pointers and have no need to pound my shoulder into jello. The question is this...B&P make a 1 oz, 2-1/2" Pheasant load at 2-3/4 Dram and 1160 fps. I know from experience that light loads like this will cycle my guns, but what about the 2-1/2" length??? Any B&P fans out there?

If your hunting with pointers then your shots are about 20 yards or less right? I use 1oz 6 shot w/ modified choke when hunting with dogs.

I probably should have been more clear. I know my guns will cycle light loads, and I know I can kill Pheasant with light loads. The question is, will my Benelli's cycle 2-1/2" light loads? I've never shot anything bu 2-3/4" shells.

JSM

I probably should have been more clear. I know my guns will cycle light loads, and I know I can kill Pheasant with light loads. The question is, will my Benelli's cycle 2-1/2" light loads? I've never shot anything bu 2-3/4" shells.

JSM

O sorry, I thought you meant 2 1/2 oz. I was thinkin, o crap, there must be some big bird where you live!!:cool:

First I ever heard of 2.5" shells. Where I'm from, I can only buy 2.75", 3", and 3.5".

Are you sure those are 2.5"?:confused:

I'm only sure of what I saw on the B&P website. 12 ga 2 1/2" listed as "High Pheasant" I think it's accurate. I've never shot 2 1/2" shells, hence the question. Maybe they're big sellers in Italy!!!

JSM

Its specifically for 2.5 German Geha. Its mauser converted to a shotgun. They have such a lite load becuase the shotgun is prone to having problems with todays powder.

There were also shotguns built to shoot 21/2 brass blackpowder shells. These will accept 23/4 but will be big problems. The brass shell will expand to be 23/4, so when you put a new 23/4 shell in it has no room for the shell to open.

This is why the shell you are looking at has such a low dram, it is a replacement shell for older guns.

Your gun also says on it "for 23/4", 3", and 31/2 shells. So 23/4" sounds like the shortest they are SUPPOSE to shoot. (probably wont shoot 33/4"or 4" shells either)

Edited by Scotty82

I love people who can distill a question down to a simple answer. Apparently 2 1/2' shells are very popular in english upland guns. You're right about the barrells though. Both of my newer Benelli's call for 2 3/4" or 3" shells. Probably best to leave it at that. Thanks fo the reply.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am using Bachieri & Pellagri and Eley which is both short shells in my own Benelli M2, without any problems. The Italien made shells are cheap here in Denmark compared to Federal which is my favorite for hunting goose and roedeer, but for pheasants and ducks B&P is a good choice in my opinion.

Best regards Stoffer

I have one of the early imported H&K M1 S90 Benelli's in "Defense Configuration". All black, pistol grip, rifle sights, 7+1 rounds.... designed for 2+3/4" and 3" shells. Bought this fantastic Benelli back in 1986 along with the 28" ribbed barrel and 4 chokes.

About the same time I bought an entire case of English 2+1/2" shot shells (shot size #6) from a company in N.H, back before Mass. banned all that sort of stuff.

Spent many afternoons at the skeet range showing off my Benelli by mixing up the shells, 2+1/2 inch plus low brass 2+3/4 inch and high power 2+3/4 inch plus 3 inch magnums. That beautiful Benelli would pump out all 8 rounds in any order with out any hiccups ever. I would shoot from my shoulder, then against my right side, tucked in tight. Not one single failure to fire or feed in all those years.

I've owned that Benelli now for 24 years and although I've read that some people have had issues, especially with the SB II's, you won't hear any complaints from me. So blast away with those English rounds and have fun.