Carrier Comp Just Listed M4 Picatinny Rails on Website

OhioM4

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edit; These torque values are 'safe' starting points. The member's example of 30 in-lbs represents a safe value for applications where all fastener and host strengths are known to be compatible... perhaps steel on steel etc. It is likely that the M4's receiver threads will handle 30 in-lbs without blinking providing they are in good shape to start with. Proceed w/ caution.

The 30 in-lbs was for steel to steel mounting. Agree, it's probably too much and based on how easily the stock rail comes off unlikely to be what the OEM rail was torqued to.

The 30 in-lbs was for steel to steel mounting. Agree, it's probably too much and based on how easily the stock rail comes off unlikely to be what the OEM rail was torqued to.

When I was a machinist the rule of thumb for torquing fastners was to tighten them until they snapped off and then back off a quarter turn!:rolleyes:

Guest cleefurd
P.S.-I'm assuming that I was supposed to re-use the little lock washers or whatever those little rings were around the factory screws, right?

Yes that is correct. Just ensure they are not upside down. They are funnel shaped and need to be inserted in the funnel-down orientation during re-assembly.

They are actually really neat little washers, with hardened serrations in a radial 'starburst' pattern that impart a 'grip' under pressure to keep the screws from backing out with minimal torque requirements. Also they do so without shredding the aluminum like split lock-washers tend to do.

Order placed!

I'm proud to have been the inspiration for such a needed part. One of the M4's few weak links has finally been fixed! Thanks for making this possible.

I wish you the best of luck in all future endeavors Kip, and keep your chin up when the naysayers / entitlement crowd start whining and doubting you. Godspeed!

From what I understand, the tubes are a separate production line from the rails. As of at least a few days ago, the first batch of 90 top rails was in stock and ready to ship. I doubt that will last long. Like I said, if you want a rail, I'd order it now, irrespective of your tube order. I also have a Ti tube order pending. But the rail will not ship with the tube anyway. So I went ahead and ordered the rail and had it within about 3 days. Perfect!

I just ordered my rail. Was going to wait but said to **** with it. Even though I have my Side Armor rail/shell holder I also wanted the option of running just the rail and I don't mind supporting Kip in the process. Heal and get back to doing what you do bro! :cool:

Would you sell your side armor rail/shell holder?

Guest cleefurd
Can you share? I've been waiting on one of these as well.

We (Fastenal and 'carriercomp') had been on an 8 month long rollercoaster ride with Dorian Tool, during which I almost drove to their facility in SE Texas to discuss the shortcomings of my KTW109 knurling tool, not to mention the fiasco of waiting for diagonal knurling arms which NEVER materialized due to an oversight in their engineering department where-in the special order status was "moot" since those parts were discontinued 2 years before I ordered them, ....fruitless/frustrating delays :mad:, and the associated knurling wheels I had scarfed up also became frivilous to the cause.

Recourse;

Sold/selling all Dorian tooling and switched to another line of tooling which is now in-house in order to resume production. Beginning Monday we will be re-writing programs and tweaking tooling to properly interface with the improved knurling process for the long awaited production run.

By end of October we will list some non-coated (naked titanium) bolt knobs in the store, with Tialn coated variants available as soon as November.

Thanks to all for the continued interest.

Right arm is still in cast following Sept 9th surgery, broken vertebrae seems to be about 90% healed. Left wrist is out of cast/splint and 100%

Found out Loritabs made me puke so Aleve is my only pain med.