Optics and Co-witness?

twowheelhooligan

Is anyone running an optic on their 'Nelli M4 (or even M2) that allows for co-witness of sights?

I recently came across a Trjicon RMR and was mock-mounting it on my M4. IT doesn't appear as thought I'll have co-witness with either the RM33(short) or RM34(tall) mount!??

I hadn't been too sold on an optic for a shotty, but thought the tiny size of the RMR might just be unobstrusive enough to try. Welllllllll, then not having co-witness just got kinda frustrating. :mad:

I guess worst case scenario, I put it on my DPMS LR308 as a CQB sight on top of the 4-16x! BUT, that's NOT what I had planned for it.

Any input, insight or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

2wheel

I use a FFII on mine. Works great, don't care about co-witness on a shotgun -- that's good because nothing goes that low. They cut a notch in the RAIL to see the front sight. Doubtful anything on the rail will co-witness. Not going to happen with any optic and the stock sights.

Edited by BigHat

Co-witness is important if you don't have a reliable optic. With 5-year constant-on battery lives on some, or no batteries at all on others, that problem becomes moot.

If you still want the easy option of using iron sights than consider a quick-detach mount for the optic, that's what I did.

There are plenty of throw-lever system that are solid.

C97

I kinda feared that would be the CW response.

I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something obvious. The only obvious thing I was missing was it isn't possible.

C97, I'm going to take your input. I see that American Defense has a quick-detach mount for the RMR sight. I asked them to see if they've done any testing with their mount on the Benelli and/or Mesa Tac rail systems.

I believe some on here have posted some disappointment with the LaRue mounts on the factory Benelli rail. *NOT* due to LaRue, but the quirkiness of the Benelli rail. I'll see if the A.D. mount is a tad different.

I understand the thing about co-witness on a shotty, but I like to live by "Two is one, One is none." the best I can.

Thanks again, I'll keep ya'll posted!

2-wheel

I kinda feared that would be the CW response.

I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something obvious. The only obvious thing I was missing was it isn't possible.

C97, I'm going to take your input. I see that American Defense has a quick-detach mount for the RMR sight. I asked them to see if they've done any testing with their mount on the Benelli and/or Mesa Tac rail systems.

I believe some on here have posted some disappointment with the LaRue mounts on the factory Benelli rail. *NOT* due to LaRue, but the quirkiness of the Benelli rail. I'll see if the A.D. mount is a tad different.

I understand the thing about co-witness on a shotty, but I like to live by "Two is one, One is none." the best I can.

Thanks again, I'll keep ya'll posted!

2-wheel

Replace the rail and open up your options.

I use a FFII on mine. Works great, don't care about co-witness on a shotgun -- that's good because nothing goes that low. They cut a notch in the RAIL to see the front sight. Doubtful anything on the rail will co-witness. Not going to happen with any optic and the stock sights.

IDK, I think the notched rail thing is overstated. I replaced my rail with Carriercomp's rail (which doesn't have a notch) and the irons are not obscured in any way. So I'm not sure why the factory decided to put that notch in there. It isn't needed.

An Aimpoint Micro on the standard factory mount (NOT a LaRue mount--as much as I love em) is an extremely low optic. I wish I had one but I don't yet. I'd be surprised if it didn't afford SOME degree of cowitness, even if it was lower 1/3. A lot of people prefer that anyway.

Hello-first post here: I have tried the "Contact" and "Sign In" at Carrier Comp and it won't work. Probably my problem-govt. computer. I want to purchase the M4 Picatinny rail (BM4PIC) and the Magazine tube (BM4-TIFLMT+S-DG). Please provide a phone number for Kip. Thanks in advance.

ME163,

Here is the contact info from his webpage.

Kip Carrier

(850) 516-1901

Here's a link to the "CONTACT" page of his site;

https://www.shop.carriercomp.com/contactus.sc

I ordered an American Defense RMR quick-detach mount. It should be in by end of the week. :cool: NOt sure I'll have time this weekend to sight it in, but I may be able to on Monday.

I'll keep ya'll posted.

2-wheel

Can someone with an Aimpoint T-1 or H-1 please mount it directly to the Benelli rail (or Sidearmor/Carriercomp rail) without the use of a LaRue (or other) riser and let me know if the iron sights are visible through the tube? I'd like to know if you can co-witness the irons or not. Can't find any definitive info. Thanks.

Can someone with an Aimpoint T-1 or H-1 please mount it directly to the Benelli rail (or Sidearmor/Carriercomp rail) without the use of a LaRue (or other) riser and let me know if the iron sights are visible through the tube? I'd like to know if you can co-witness the irons or not. Can't find any definitive info. Thanks.

Asking over and over again isn't going to change the facts. Nothing sits lower than a Burris FFII that I've ever seen and it doesn't co-witness. Not only that, if you look through the rear sight you cannot see the front sight, PERIOD. You're staring at the back of the FF. While it was a waste of time to do so just mounted a T-1 on a LaRue that's just the mount (see their site w/it on an M4, no riser) and it's not even close. Even the AP T-1 std mount elevates it a bit as well, Fact of life.

By the way, I do agree the full rail doesn't obscure the sight, but Sidearmor sells their rail with the cutout option under the rationale that it offers more space for sighting.

Of course, why the heck you want to co-witness an optic and iron sights on a combat shotgun still puzzles me.

Edited by BigHat

Even the lowest LaRue mount does raise the Aimpoint Micro up more than if you mounted it with the factory Aimpoint mount that it comes with. I don't have a good photo comparing them but suffice to say, even the low LaRue mount does add some height.

Best I could find...

Factory Aimpoint mount:

4221014778_6e6eb88499.jpg

Aftermarket LaRue mount:

771-2.jpg

Phil,

I know this is your new "hobby" but do yourself a favor, run a piece of fishing line, etc through the rear sight to the top of the front sight and see for your self. Your height distinction between the AP and low LaRue mount is a meaningless one.

• 11 years later...

With a mlok forend and dueck defense rapid transitions you can have what you want. They won't sit super close to the barrel because you will have to have a m-lok to picatinny to mount the irons but it'll work for sure if shit hits the fan. Not ideal to shoot any shotgun at a cant but I bet you'd rather be sore than dead. You'll want to mount the rapids on the right side if you're right handed but when you order them, you'll have to order the left handed option. When you think about how it will work after looking at the forend and the rapids you will get why. They typically sit on the top picatinny on an ar but for this config it'll be sitting on the right side picatinny.  I will link the forend and the rapids below and also some mlock to picatinny rails. You will want the 15 inch forend so you can spread your irons a bit. I also linked the rapids with the trijicon night sights but Dueck Defense has a regular version for cheaper as well. I do not like a co-witness of any sort for any configuration on any weapon. Pistols of course really do not leave you an option but anything else you can pull it off. Having irons in the sight picture ruins the point of a red dot period in my opinion and in my experience at the range. I like to just put them in their own places so when using either of them I will only be focusing on what I am using. Some people love a co-witness on ar-15 platforms and that is fine, I just know myself and how I perform with it. I do better when I only have one or the other in my view to focus on rather than so much to see when at aim. And for the M4, this is about the only option I could think of for solid back up irons when your red dot fails.

Forend -  https://www.mesatactical.com/products/truckee-forend-for-ben-m4-12-ga-m-lok-15-in.html

Rapids - https://dueckdefense.com/shop/rifles/rapid-transition-sight-with-trijicon-night-sights-set-front-rear/

mlok to picatinny - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LISR2YU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

On 6/3/2022 at 8:23 PM, tbt613 said:

With a mlok forend and dueck defense rapid transitions you can have what you want. They won't sit super close to the barrel because you will have to have a m-lok to picatinny to mount the irons but it'll work for sure if shit hits the fan. Not ideal to shoot any shotgun at a cant but I bet you'd rather be sore than dead. You'll want to mount the rapids on the right side if you're right handed but when you order them, you'll have to order the left handed option. When you think about how it will work after looking at the forend and the rapids you will get why. They typically sit on the top picatinny on an ar but for this config it'll be sitting on the right side picatinny.  I will link the forend and the rapids below and also some mlock to picatinny rails. You will want the 15 inch forend so you can spread your irons a bit. I also linked the rapids with the trijicon night sights but Dueck Defense has a regular version for cheaper as well. I do not like a co-witness of any sort for any configuration on any weapon. Pistols of course really do not leave you an option but anything else you can pull it off. Having irons in the sight picture ruins the point of a red dot period in my opinion and in my experience at the range. I like to just put them in their own places so when using either of them I will only be focusing on what I am using. Some people love a co-witness on ar-15 platforms and that is fine, I just know myself and how I perform with it. I do better when I only have one or the other in my view to focus on rather than so much to see when at aim. And for the M4, this is about the only option I could think of for solid back up irons when your red dot fails.

Forend -  https://www.mesatactical.com/products/truckee-forend-for-ben-m4-12-ga-m-lok-15-in.html

Rapids - https://dueckdefense.com/shop/rifles/rapid-transition-sight-with-trijicon-night-sights-set-front-rear/

mlok to picatinny - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LISR2YU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

This is a very old post and alot has evolved over the years, but co-witnessing is very doable with micro red dots with the factory iron sights still usable if dot fails. Crappy pictures but you get the idea.

20220605_110334.thumb.jpg.c0541dd8678ef24a2f985e571e33b0d7.jpg20220605_110221.thumb.jpg.cdc1aa4b22e2efb579283d939bce364e.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ButchP said:

This is a very old post and alot has evolved over the years, but co-witnessing is very doable with micro red dots with the factory iron sights still usable if dot fails. Crappy pictures but you get the idea.

20220605_110334.thumb.jpg.c0541dd8678ef24a2f985e571e33b0d7.jpg20220605_110221.thumb.jpg.cdc1aa4b22e2efb579283d939bce364e.jpg

i see thats a scalar works mount but what red dot is that? and which scalarworks mount is that on?