Kips's rail is awesome, watch out for this

squawberryman

I got Kip's rail Saturday. More machined coolery. Upon removal of the five flathead screws that hold in the factory turd rail, I discovered the italians devised a conical, helically notched lock washer to be lost upon the removal of each screw. BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU REMOVE THE FIVE SCREWS. I normally perform items such as this on a thick carpet padding that protects from bouncing srews, pins, detent balls, etc. I didn't on this, pay attention.

Guest cleefurd
I got Kip's rail Saturday. ...... BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU REMOVE THE FIVE SCREWS.

Very good advice. Aggie Phil suggested an install note be furnished to point this out. Shame on me for not doing it sooner.

The tiny lock washers are so small that they elude casual detection and NEED to be mentioned by any reputable vendor who sells items requiring they be removed.

Let me know how many you lost and I'll replace them.

Guest cleefurd
ah, thanks for the info! found them btw, didn't use them on my sidearmor rail, i guess they are not necessary with the sidearmor system?

Take both the OEM and SA rails, side by side introduce factory screws.... if they both protrude the same distance out the bottom side, then use the washers.

If sidearmor supplies their own screw and makes no mention of the washers, then I would ask them to clarify.

Tolerances could become an issue in either case so it is important to ask the specific rail manufacturer for their recommendations.

The carriercomp rail is designed to use these washers due to their inherent quality, being tempered and fine-serrated, which makes them uniquely compatible with aluminum as a low torque screw retention/lock, without the fuss of loc-tite in the comparatively weak realm of aluminum threads.

Hope this helps.

The mailman just dropped off my rail. What material is this made from? Probably be a while before I can find the time to do the install. The wife didn't appreciate me penciling in "gun fun" to the honey-do list. Can't wait for the muzzle brake (when is this coming?) and the bolt handle.