Considering a Benelli M4... or a Fabarm SAT8

His Divine Shadow

So I'm looking for a semi auto shotgun come spring 2011 and I think it's gonna be either the Fabarm Sat8 or the Benelli M4.

Both are gas operated and both have screw in chokes and both are self-regulating so they can fire a wide amount of ammunition. I do want a versatile gun, not just a purely "tactical" gun for 3-gun and IPSC style sports. Being able to break clays for fun or possibly a bit of hunting would be nice additional abilities to have.

I am located in Finland so I can get either the M4 or Fabarm equally easily. Fabarm is 1400 (euros) and the Benelli is 2000-2100.

The Fabarm has a longer barrel which I like, I want a versatile gun. But I understand that you can get extended choke tubes for the benelli which pretty much has the effect of extending the barrel and giving a superior pattern so maybe the 18.5" of a Benelli does not have to be a big deal? You tell me, I'd like to see a picture of an M4 with extended choke tube but have not found one.

Reliability wise the Benelli has a better rep but I haven't really seen anything bad about the Fabarm either. I believe the Benelli probaly wins the fit & finish part though.

So... any comments and suggestions are welcome. Given that I am on benelli forum I do expect a bit of bias :p

If money is an issue, keep in mind you're probably gonna want to alter your gun at least a little. Aside from the relatively high price of the M4, the aftermarket parts are also pretty expensive. If price isn't an issue you can't go wrong with an M4. Maybe go to the gun shop and get some hands on and see what feels better.

I'm not a rich guy no but if I save for a long time and am patient I suppose I should be able to afford either of them come 7-8 months from now.

Sadly no local shops I know of has the Fabarm or the M4, there is one shop in Finland that has the M4 and another one that has the Fabarm, both are far away from me. I held a fellow club members M4 once a few years ago but I have no solid impression of it as I only held it briefly and never fired it.

I'm not a big fan of pistol grips on shotties so the Fabarm might a little lead there in that it can be had with a regular stock from factory. I haven't seen this for the M4 as a factory option in Finland, but I know the stock exist because I saw one on a german webshop, but that particular model also had a barrel without swappable chokes, while the models with PG stocks had swappable chokes for some reason.

I have some questions, for instance what kind of front sight does the Benelli come with? Is it a fiber, plain iron post or tritium insert? Are the posts easily swappable?

Also I'm seeing some mention of +1 and +2 extensions. I though the M4 took 7+1+1 if you used the ghost load trick. Can you further extend it to take 8 or 9 in the tube, or are these people using versions of M4s that have had magtube limitations imposed on them?

All the M4s available where I would buy them have no mag limitations so I am thinking maybe this whole +1 and +2 extension biz would be of no use for me.

HDS, I note you said you would like a versatile gun and you would like to shoot some clays. Well the M4 is NOT versatile, it is purely tactical. I have both a M4 and a Benelli Vinci. I've use the Vinci for trap, 5 stand, skeet and it was great. I tried the M4 once for clays. Yes it worked but it was not nearly as good or easy as the Vinci. With the ghost ring sight it is just not that easy to hit flying objects. Shooting clays is not what the M4 was designed to do. Also it does not cycle very light loads. The M4 was much better at shooting slugs at targets 50 - 100 meters away. If you want a really versatile shotgun that can shoot everything from 7/8 oz 2 3/4 inch shells to 2 oz. 3.5 inch shells consider the Beretta A400. Or if you never want to shoot 3.5 inch shells Beretta is making a A400 "Lite" which only shoots 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells, like the M4. And the Beretta is a few hundred dollars less than the M4. Finally the M4 comes with a magazine which holds 5 rounds (5 +1). A full length tube holds 7 + 1 but you would have to spend another ~$200.

Well I am looking at a tactical gun for IPSC and such, it's more that I would like a tactical gun that can do more stuff, in addition to being that. It's why I place an importance of the model having swappable chokes, also found out Briley sells barrel extensions that should fit an M4 amongst other models (screws into the barrel like a choke, sounds interesting).

I know the Fabarm Sat-8 has them and if I cold get my hand son a UK model I'd have one with a 24" barrel, that'd be quite versatile. Also here in europe the M4 models all come with the full tubes standard, no 5 rounders exist AFAIK. If there are any limitations (for hunting and such) guns are usually shipped with an easily removeable block in the tube.

I'm honestly not sure what to expect this gun to cycle though, some say their benelli cycles everything, even skeet loads.

Another gun I just started looking at was the Benelli M2 Practical, it's 1950 euros vs. 2070 for no M4 so no big difference in price here as there is in america. It also comes with ghost ring sights.

I also understand that the ghostring sights are inferior at close range, but I expect some slug shooting to be done, both for fun and in ranges (but I expect most targets will be up close).

Edited by His Divine Shadow

Yes the M4 cycles skeet loads: 1 1/8 oz. will work fine, 1 oz. will fail to cycle occasionally, 7/8 oz. will fail to cycle all the time. But like I said, if you ever want to shoot clays then you will not want to use a M4. If you only want to shoot targets and hunt non flying animals then you will be very happy with the M4. Also the barrel length 18" vs. 24" should make very little difference in accuracy. Longer barrels are better for skeet/trap because they "swing" better, are more stable for aiming at moving, flying targets. If most of your targets are fixed and/or closer than 50 meters then the M4 with its 18" barrel is very accurate, no need for an extension.

Well I talked to a shop who has a Benelli M4 and it's got swappable chokes and a telescoping pistol grip stock. 2050 euros, thats a pretty good price over here. I'm not sure if it'd be illegal or not for an american to buy the stock if I wanted to swap it later for a regular non-PG stock.

Also somebody wondered where in europe I am, I'm in Finland to be more precise. I can't answer PMs yet as was mentioned.

BTW has anyone done anything like this? In order to get 8 in the tube:

28s1tsj.jpg

Edited by His Divine Shadow

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21803&highlight=xamoel&page=2

see the first pic. be aware that this is NOT my gun, i have the telescoping stock (and i love it) and this is the OEM benelli +2 extension, the nordic components looks and feels MUCH better quality wise. it sticks out a little, but with the Trulock choke (which i have as well) it's really no problem.