Best Quail Gun

SgtCathy

Quail season opens for me this coming Saturday (Oct 16th). What are some of the shotguns you folks use for your Quail? I start the morning of with a Browning Citori Upland Special, with the English stock, in 20 guage. After a couple of hours, I'll take a break, maybe grab a quick nap. (Don't laugh, those fields and woods seem to get longer and bigger every year). Then spend the rest of the day with my little short stock Monty in 20 guage. I use the promo shotshells from Wally-World either Remington or Winchester in 7+1/2 shot. That little Monty just loves those cheapy shells. Four more days until Saturday !!

My favorite for quail is my 20 gauge SKB side-by-side double barrel with a straight grip and splinter grip. But that is pretty much for esthetics.

The best solution is a 20 gauge Benelli Montefeltro. The low recoil allows easy doubles, and you have the extra shell if you are going for a triple.

I use 7 ½ shot for quail.

--Spike

Edited by Spike100
Experimenting with text sizing... I thought that it was auto

• 4 weeks later...

I also use a Remington 11-87 in 20 gauge when I hunt Quail by myself. It has the English straight stock and short barrel. Use cheapy 7+1/2 shot with a Imp Cylinder choke.

When I with friends or I know there may be many hunters in the area, I use A Browning Citori Upland Special in 20 gauge. It has a straight English stock with short barrels . I have it set up with an Imp Cylinder on the top barrel and full choke on the lower barrel. I shoot top barrel first. This combination of choke has been a winner for me for many years. I use the Citori O/U with other folkks around for two reasons. First, I would like to pretend I'm a really "cool" Quail hunter using a "double" shotgun. And secondly, sometimes you stop and chat with everybody. You just have to compare shotguns, discuss hunting strategies, shot pellet size, chokes, brag about some awesome next to impossible shot you made that day and other neat stuff, and it's easier just to break open a double ( for safety) while you chat.

^^ I do the same (lower barrel first) when I shoot an O/U when hunting, for the reason you mention.

When shooting a side-by-side (S/S), I fire the outside barrel (the right hand barrel) first. I do this is simply because my two-trigger S/S is setup so the forward trigger fires the right side barrel. My SKB side-by-side has a selective single trigger, but I still fire the right barrel first for consistency.

When shooting a S/S, and if you are a right-handed shooter, firing the right barrel produces slightly less perceived recoil since the gun tends to move away from your face. Some S/S shooters prefer the gun moving inwards, and they fire the inside barrel first thinking that provides better control by keeping the gun tight to the side of their face for a better second shot.

A straight grip or “English grip” (vs. a pistol grip) provides a more comfortable angle for your wrist when carrying a gun in the field, and that’s one reason many hunters like this style of stock. A straight grip is certainly better for a two-trigger gun.

The Prince of Wales Grip is somewhere between a straight grip and a pistol grip. The Prince of Wales Grip is thin and less angled than a pistol grip, but still allows enough “play” for your rear hand to provide a comfortable carry and operate two-triggers. It’s a good compromise for shooters who prefer the precision of a pistol grip but want the comfortable carry of a straight grip.

With this said, I favor an auto-loader for quail hunting (or any hunting with the opportunity for shots on multiple birds. The advantages of an autoloader:

-Three or more shots

-Less recoil allowing the shooter to remain on a single target or pickup the next target

When I shoot my Montefeltro, my hunting companions who use two-barrel guns accuse me of being a “meat hunter” or “machine gun hunter.” But, when the day is done, I always do much better (more birds) with the Benelli.

--Spike

• 2 weeks later...

With great saddness I announce the end of upland bird season for this year. During the last week of this year's season, I stayed with my Remy 1100 in .410. I just love how you can swing on a Quail and if you miss, the gun doesn't jump at all. Got 4 Quail this last week and that includes another double using the .410. See you all next year...

Sorry, no dogs for me. I just bust through all those briars and thorn bushes. Ouch !! I'm an extremely slow walker and don't miss much plus I'm good with my Quail whistle. Saw a couple of guys last week working dogs. The dogs were ranging long and flushing birds wild. Also saw a guy working a Springer upclose. Thats what I would like if I had a dog.