How difficult is it to remove the M4 Magazine ?

saym14

yes, I have read the instructions and did search, I am pretty mechanically minded. but it looked pretty complicated and I dont have a heat gun. I dont have my M4 yest so having it in front of me would help visiualize the process. any hints or clues to do this right ?

If you had a heat gun it would be very easy!! I stripped down the gun and removed barrel and follower and focused the heat on the bottom of the receiver where the mag screws in.. I held the heat on there for about 3min and then grabbed the far end of the mag and unscrewed it, it came off easy.

maybe I need to borrow or buy a heat gun. not usre a hair dryer would work ? :(

hey saym14,

A hairdryer won't help you, not enough heat. You can find heatguns fairly cheap and make life much easier. My tube removal wasn't too bad, about 10-15 minutes of heating before I got it to turn a little and then it was heat a little/turn a little for a while until about one third out and then I unscrewed it the rest of the way in one shot. Most of the threadlocker stayed on the old tube threads and the receiver threads were pretty much clean and ready to go.

Later,

Hookster :)

Guest cleefurd
yes, I have read the instructions and did search, I am pretty mechanically minded. but it looked pretty complicated and I dont have a heat gun. I dont have my M4 yest so having it in front of me would help visiualize the process. any hints or clues to do this right ?

Been there.... also mech-inclined... why do we shudder? Knowing full well we will mock the mouse within when the trial has passed.

"Buy the heat gun, and the extra rounds will come."

Guest cleefurd
I did it using a gas stove to heat the magazine to receiver junction. Of course I held the shotgun high above the burner to avoid excessive heat. It worked just fine. Having a handheld heat gun would be better but I was trying to do it cheap.

Words fail me.... rhymes with "admiration" to be honest. Seriously.

I did it using a gas stove to heat the magazine to receiver junction. Of course I held the shotgun high above the burner to avoid excessive heat. It worked just fine. Having a handheld heat gun would be better but I was trying to do it cheap.

Wow. The biggest risk I took with my M4 is not telling the wife how much it REALLY was. I don't understand how somebody could go "cheap" over a few bucks for the correct tools when they went not cheap when they bought the gun.