Best Way(s) to Perform a Slug Changeover with the M4

AggiePhil

A thread on another message board got me thinking about this and I wanted to see what you guys thought. What are the best ways to perform a slug changeover on the M4? Just to be clear, this would be where you have one type of shell (other than a slug) in the chamber and then suddenly decide that you need to have a slug in the chamber.

The M1014 manual recommends...

The free carrier in the M1014 Combat Shotgun allows the chambered round to be removed or exchanged with a different round without the need to first unload the magazine tube. This allows the weapon to be "half unloaded" for safe tactical handling of the shotgun (handing it onto a roof or over a fence). In addition, the operator can quickly remove the round from the chamber and replace it with a different round that is more appropriate for the target at hand.

1. Grasp the forearm of the combat shotgun firmly with the non-firing (weak) hand.

2. Remove the firing hand from the buttstock and secure a round of the preferred type from the ammo pouch. Hold this round between the thumb and index finger of the firing hand with the rim or base of the shell pointed towards the palm.

3. Use the edge of the firing hand below the small finger to push smartly rearward on the bolt handle and hold it open. This will cause the chambered round to eject from the shotgun.

4. While holding the bolt open, insert the new round into the weapon through the ejection port.

5. Release the bolt handle to chamber the new round. Do not ride the bolt handle forward.

Now I don't know about y'all, but when I attempt this maneuver, it requires some gymnastics that I don't think have a place on the battlefield. It essentially boils down to a human not having enough hands to hold the gun up AND accomplish all these tasks at the same time. With a pump it isn't too bad cause the bolt stays open on its own but with the semi-auto, it ain't staying open unless the gun is empty. So I'd rather keep it simple and stick to only loading shells into one place--the mag tube.

Seems that with the M4, if you're down at least one round in the mag tube, it's very simple and doesn't require anything crazy. Simply load the slug into the mag tube, hit the shell release lever, and run the bolt. Your slug will now be in the chamber and ready to go.

If the mag tube was full on the other hand, I guess I would hit the shell release lever, run the bolt twice, load the slug into the mag tube, hit the shell release lever again, and run the bolt again (??).

I don't know...what do y'all think about the different ways to do this? I'm sure the Magpul guys will shed some light on it when their Art of the Dynamic Shotgun DVDs come out here in a few weeks. That's actually what prompted the other thread I mentioned.

I use the back of my thumb to do this. Hold round in hand, push carrier back with back of thumb, insert new round.

Then again, I've only done it a few times and never really have had to practice it.

People also use the weak hand bolt carrier group underhand racking technique quite well, I imagine you could throw a round in while doing that with a little bit of practice.

Long story short ... use a rifle, not a shotgun, if you think you'll need distance.

I've been practicing this. I have a six shell holder on my receiver, I keep a few slugs towards the front of the gun. It's pretty much exactly what the Benelli manual says, I find it pretty easy to do and very effective.

1. Grab a slug from the holder with the thumb and forefinger of the right hand.

2. While holding the slug, pull back the bolt handle with your pinky of your right hand so the palm of your hand is facing upward.

3. After the original shell ejects pop the slug in just before releasing the handle.

I've tried different ways and this is what I've settled on. I don't think it's a good idea to mess with the magazine when trying to change your load, there's too many variables at play. Keep it simple and repeat it until it becomes a reflex. I can swap out a buckshot with a slug in 2 seconds. 2 seconds might sound pretty fast but it's actually not.

I just don't like the fact that it isn't all that stable and seems very difficult to do while moving. Seems easy to screw up if you were to trip or be bumped. Since movement is important in a gunfight, I don't want to rely on a technique that is dependent upon standing still. Standing still in a gunfight will get you killed. That's why I might be more inclined to use the method that loads into the magazine tube which is mechanically very simple and hard to screw up. Then again, I'm always open to new methods of trying things and will practice other techniques. Either way, the slug changeover is an important technique for the shotgun operator to have in his toolbox. Slug capability is one of the strong points of the shotgun.

Well I don't know if this will work while "on the move" but thisis what I do. Skip to the 2:36min mark. I believe it is an M4.

I've practiced this method and it works pretty well standing still. You do lose the good round doing the change over but it works for me.

Best thing to do is to try it several times. Not just once but a lot. You might get the feel of it. Practice practice practice. Using the magazine method could get you killed. Let's say you have 7 in the tube and 1 in the chamber. Now you have to eject that first shell and load the next shell only to eject that one too. All this to have room in your magazine for that slug. Now you have to move that slug to the chamber. All this could take a while. Don't forget to boost up your margin for error. Okay so there's a shootout and you've been firing rounds and re-loading when you get the chance. You want to switch to a slug and in the heat of battle you don't know how many rounds are in the tube. Are you gonna eject an extra round just to be safe? Are you gonna debate this in your head when you shouldn't be?

I can swap buck for slug in the manner described above while walking, kneeling, standing. Never tried running. But practice was a HUGE part of this. I suggest eliminating the multiple processes that could be involved at any given time with the magazine method and keep it simple with 1 reflex style shell swap that's fast and consistent no matter what the circumstances are. It's always the same and requires almost no thought after the initial decision has been made. I say almost no thought assuming the shooter has been practicing.

THE absolute hands down best way to do a slug changeover is:

NUMBA 1: Make sure the chamber is unoccupied to avoid doubledeckers

NUMBA 2:Make sure you have actually grabbed A SLUG and not jus sommo bkshot

NUMBA 3:Make absolutely sure SLUG does not go in BACKWARDZZZZ

NUMBA 4:Have you been scannnnning your surrrroundings...?

NUMBA 5: Do not jump back on target too quick or SLUG may FALL OUT of chamber before action closes

THE absolute hands down best way to do a slug changeover is:

NUMBA 1: Make sure the chamber is unoccupied to avoid doubledeckers

NUMBA 2:Make sure you have actually grabbed A SLUG and not jus sommo bkshot

NUMBA 3:Make absolutely sure SLUG does not go in BACKWARDZZZZ

NUMBA 4:Have you been scannnnning your surrrroundings...?

NUMBA 5: Do not jump back on target too quick or SLUG may FALL OUT of chamber before action closes

NUMBA 1: Are you serious?

NUMBA 2: Seriously?

NUMBA 3: What? Really??

NUMBA 4: OMG hahahah

NUMBA 5: What?