elk hunting

elkmaster101

• 2 weeks later...

I too love to hunt elk! It's been awhile since my last big bull was taken but I still love those rocky mountains and being out there doing so.

I have used several calibers during those years, everything from a 25-06, 270 Win, 30-06, .300 Win mag, .338 Win mag and .375H&H

I don't advise anything smaller than the 30-06 for bull elk and 180 grain bullet.;)

• 5 weeks later...

Saw your message, I have done 6 trips to Colorado over the past 12 years, one to New Mexico. Elk hunting is like nothing else I have done. It is everything Whitetail hunting in the midwest is not. Its always nice to get one but usually just as fun even if I don't.

It is a bunch of fun and if you have 3 hanging in camp you are in for a workout with the knife and diamond sharpeners! I usually use 3 separate blades and it takes about all day to prep 1 big old cow! It depends on the outside temp but the longer you can let them age the better they taste, but you take a chance of the spoiling in the early hunts by letting them hang too long! Taking them to a meat locker that is temp controlled is the best option and let them hang for days, the longer the better! I normally make sausage with most of the cuts except the neck meat is used for jerky and the back straps and loin are for frying! Everything else is sausage material! Did not draw this year but i will start next year with an oryx application that has to be submitted by 2 Feb on White Sands Missile range! Then i will put in for Elk draw in NM & Co, also have 2 points for mule deer in Colorado and will put in for another point next year! But Will try the draw for NM on Elk & Deer also! Too many new Weatherby's to let them collect dust in the gunsafe! We picked up some Army Field freezer's that work really nice and 3 big cows filled them both to the top with ice added! These were some really great finds at the local DRMO at the USAF base here in Nm! Really cheap and really nice for storage in the camp to keep critters from keeping you awake all night!

Guest financialguide

Hi,

This is the burning question many out-of-state hunters want to know. There's two different types of hunts in Utah for elk. There's the 'any bull' hunt then there's the 'spike only.' We'll talk about where to go for both of these hunts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I did a little bit of elk hunting one season. I didn't have much success unfortunately. My buddy had a clean shot on one and blew it. We kid him that he's too soft and missed on purpose haha. He's a real softie. God bless him.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If any one has knows of any discounts, coupons , bargains or sales on hunting gear please let me know. My gear is getting old and my boys need some too. Thanks.

Edited by admin
Removed Valpak link

Make sure you have your hunters education card and no optic on you rifle! Bow and Muzzy hunting is the best way to hunt Colorado but they have guidelines they are passionate about!

Big snow storm coming in a few days so bring plenty of warm clothes and plan for success! What unit you hunting?

• 2 months later...

I started elk hunting a couple of years ago...I'm fortunate enough to have married into a family of elk hunters! My uncle has a cabin and we stay there for 10 days during elk season. Call it beginners luck but both years I've bagged a bull! First year I shot one in the neck with my 270 win and killed in the spot. Last year I hit one broadside while running at 100 yards. I had to track it for 1/4 of a mile before hitting him again in roughly the same spot. Elk are tough critters and when they get their legs under them they can go a long way.

I upgraded to a 338 win mag R1 for this year... I'm already working on getting into shape for this falls hunt! I tend to hike 10+ miles a day and lay awake thinking about bagging another bull.

Elk hunting is by far my favorite thing to do with my free time!

We have been hunting Elk for two years now in TN. 4 bull tags for the general draw and 1 up for auction to put money back into wildlife resources. Anyone can enter. I believe it is a $10 application fee. Check with TWRA (Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency). I've hunted Elk in ID, MT and CO. DIY and Guided. IMHO, guided is the way to go unless you really know the area, where the Elk go after the first day of pressure (archery too) and have good friends that will sacrifice their hunt to help you cut up and haul out an Elk.

• 5 months later...

Been on two trips to Colorado for elk. I love going out.The first year we had either sex tags. Said I wasnt going to shoot a cow. The first cow I saw dumped. Not 30 seconds later a nice bull came up through the woods and stood 50 yards broad side in a field. A buddy of mine was on a hillside and saw the whole thing go down. I was sick at first. I picture the bull standing looking at me every day. Guess thats what makes me wanna go back. My biggest advice to anyone going out,GET IN SHAPE.No matter how mcuh you prepare it is not enough !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 7 years later...

I hunted deer for 2 times. We usually went to my friend's hunting lodge. It was southern Canada, I don’t remember exactly the address. There were really many deer and few hunters. My friend insisted that we abide by all the rules and laws of hunting, you can read more about this on the Internet. You will need a special vest for hunting deer or elk. Also I don't advise to hunt in the dark. Usually a friend for a good hunt lures deer for a week. He says it helps a lot to make the hunt more successful. Here https://hikezone.org/8-best-deer-feeder-reviews-top-picks-of-2018-and-useful-buyer-s-guide/ is an article with reviews of different deer feeders, My friend chose gravity deer feeders amazon. I would also advise you to go hunting with experienced hunters for the first time. I don’t remember exactly which ones, but my friend did a lot of tricks to make our hunt interesting. 

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

We are just planning an elk hunting trip in the future with a couple friends. We all three are whitetail hunters so don’t necessarily have the proper gear at the moment. My main concern was clothing and pack size. I've allready found some helpful tips on the hunting site. For clothing, comfort is a big deal. Pack size: we will likely hike in off a trail and set up a small base camp and hunt from there. Likely be a 3-5 day hunting trip. 

Edited by WayneBaker

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...