Coyote Hunting!

Uriah Wurst

Why hunt coyotes? There is a whole list of reasons to hunt coyotes. Some items on the list would be what I call "logical" reasons, such as coyotes are destructive to other game species. My favorite reason would be listed as more of an "emotional" reason. It's fun, it's why spring turkey hunters out number the fall turkey hunters, it's why hunters pick up a bow and hike the mountains for bugling bull elk, putting their selves at a huge disadvantage. It's the a lure of calling animals to one's self. To fool a critter into thinking you are what it is looking for, and then pulling off the shot undetected. Any other coyote hunters hanging around here?

The main thing when hunting coyotes is being sneaky. Sneak into your set up, and hide the best you can. Try not to skyline yourself. If they get down wind they are gone, but they will normally try to see you as they circle down wind, use it to your advantage. Carry a shotgun as well as a rifle, it's a pain but it's the only way to go. Every time I get lazy and leave the shotgun one will come flying past me at the speed of light! lol The ones that come in on a dead run rarely stop to give you a shot with a scoped rifle. The front shoulder is the shot placement, most I hit right behind the shoulder run a ways before they crash. Hope this helps!

I shot one a few days ago with a pheasant in her mouth. I have a feeling that the lack of pheasants to shoot is due to the abundance of coyotes in the area. They also love small dogs and cats... I look for signs saying Fluffy is missing and know what has happened..... get out the caller and go to work.

They eat anything and everything! They eat fawns, calves, turkey nests, and peoples pets. They are truly natural born killers, as hunters if we can help control numbers it saves ranchers a lot of money on airplanes shooting them. Once the airplanes shoot out an area it takes a long time to get the numbers back up to where a guy can call in a few. In some parts of Colorado they eat watermelon crops, they dig into a melon, if it ain't ripe they go to the next. One farmer said they ruined several hundred pounds a day.

Why hunt coyotes? There is a whole list of reasons to hunt coyotes. Some items on the list would be what I call "logical" reasons, such as coyotes are destructive to other game species. My favorite reason would be listed as more of an "emotional" reason. It's fun, it's why spring turkey hunters out number the fall turkey hunters, it's why hunters pick up a bow and hike the mountains for bugling bull elk, putting their selves at a huge disadvantage. It's the a lure of calling animals to one's self. To fool a critter into thinking you are what it is looking for, and then pulling off the shot undetected. Any other coyote hunters hanging around here?

Uriah you're the guy who makes the Bucking the Odds videos on youtube with your buddy Lance right? **** you guys were the ones who got me hooked on coyote hunting so when im not out in the duck blind im usually chasing dogs.

I'll let you know if I happen to pull off a triple...

The main thing when hunting coyotes is being sneaky. Sneak into your set up, and hide the best you can. Try not to skyline yourself. If they get down wind they are gone, but they will normally try to see you as they circle down wind, use it to your advantage. Carry a shotgun as well as a rifle, it's a pain but it's the only way to go. Every time I get lazy and leave the shotgun one will come flying past me at the speed of light! lol The ones that come in on a dead run rarely stop to give you a shot with a scoped rifle. The front shoulder is the shot placement, most I hit right behind the shoulder run a ways before they crash. Hope this helps!

yes that helps thanks

Guest cleefurd
I dont hunt them but my buddys grandpa has a huge problem with them and wants us to go hunt them. i dont even know the first thing about hunting I shoot paper,lol

can you give me any tips. like what gun to take any secrets how to get even close to them?

In areas where food is scarce, they'll scale a 6 foot fence, latch on to a small pet, and scatter its bones within a quarter mile of your house sharing with his buddies. They are why nomadic sheep tenders are still employed domestically, to guard the herd. They anhilate quail, grouse, and pheasant.

It is practical to despise them, killing them just transforms the practicality into fun:D

You can't get close to them, they have to come your way. Where they aren't hunted you can call one in with such vigor that you have to wave yer arms and holler to keep him from bowling into your shins, but in well hunted areas, you need a flat shooting rifle mostly to minimize ranging requirements. When I was a kid the wrinkles on an outstretched thumb were the only range-finders we had, so a wounded rabbit call and a 22-250 were the dinner bell and laser used. Now you see fellas with ranging devices, taped game calls, look like they're headed to the Sea of Tranquility for 3 days.... still fun though. They are wary of human scent as bad if not worse than most North American game. Adjust accordingly

While turkey hunting last spring I had one come in while I was calling. I heard something coming through the brush, but I was so set on seeing a turkey that it surprised me when I realized it was a 'yote. By the time my brain screamed, "Shoot it stupid!," it was already gone.