A Good Morning in the VA Woods

tucker301

I got this one about 10 minutes after I got to the stand.

IMAG0097a.jpg

Called my buddy up and told him that I got one. Needed help, but no hurry. Take your time and hunt.

He said he'd just rattled up a nice buck, but the deer saw him before he saw the deer and he slipped away.

30 minutes later, he called me and said that he managed to move around in front of the buck and rattled him in again.

This time, he didn't get away.

IMAG0098.jpg

Edited by tucker301

Muzzleloaders.

We went back out this morning and I got this little 6 pointer.

He was about 100 yards from where my buddy got his on Saturday.

He also saw two more bucks chasing does about a 1/2 mile from me, but he couldn't get a shot.

This one didn't even twitch when the 250 XTP drilled his neck and cut through his vitals. Dropped in his tracks.

Deer11-8-2010.jpg

I hammered this guy this morning at ten yards, hunting from the ground in the oaks.

Watched him eat acorns for five minutes before dropping him.

11-12-2010-6point.jpg

I went back out this afternoon in hopes of filling a doe tag, but instead had a black bear, maybe 350-400 lbs. slip through a thicket at about 35 yards.

I couldn't get a good shot one him, so I passed him up.

That would have been nice!

The Savage has been flawless this year!

And the heavy mast crop hasn't hurt either.

acorns.jpg

Thanks Mike.

Yeah, that's the smokeless Savage.

The contract with the designer is up at Savage and there are no plans to continue production after current orders are filled.

It's a shame, because it truly is the best mass-produced muzzleloader out there. They just don't have Greg Ritz shooting fenced in deer on tv to promote it.

This one is mine forever!

That one was shot with a 25-06.

I went with the club today and killed a big old doe on a damage tag and my buddy got an 8 pointer, but it wasn't real big.

I seem to be a deer magnet this year.

I was at home last night just after dark and I turned on the floodlights to the back yard. A nice 8 pointer was standing under my willow oak, about 19 yards from the den window.

Unfortunately, I live in town, so there's no hunting him.

Going duckin' in the AM. I'll probably see plenty of deer. ;)

Nice deer.... I have to wait until this Monday for gun season to open. Archery is open right now but I have been after pheasant and only scouting for the deer. Have seen the same buck 4 times in the past few weeks and 2 nice does a couple of times. Soon as the season opens I will probably see nothing.... got my spots picked out and stands in place...

Thanks for posting the pics...

I hammered this guy this morning at ten yards, hunting from the ground in the oaks.

Watched him eat acorns for five minutes before dropping him.

11-12-2010-6point.jpg

I went back out this afternoon in hopes of filling a doe tag, but instead had a black bear, maybe 350-400 lbs. slip through a thicket at about 35 yards.

I couldn't get a good shot one him, so I passed him up.

That would have been nice!

The Savage has been flawless this year!

And the heavy mast crop hasn't hurt either.

acorns.jpg

Congrats on the bucks tucker. That is an awesome looking gun. I've read about some problem with them blowing up. What are your thoughts? How long have you had it and how many times have you shot it.

Congrats on the bucks tucker. That is an awesome looking gun. I've read about some problem with them blowing up. What are your thoughts? How long have you had it and how many times have you shot it.

Thanks, Doug.

This will be my second season with smokeless Savage ML's. My first one wasn't drilled quite straight on the receiver, causing some scope cant, so it went back to Savage after last year's season.

The replacement was perfect. They even shipped a test target to prove the full range of adjustment.

I have shot the two of them a total of perhaps 75 times with load development, practice and hunting.

Never had a problem with pressure at all.

I have seen what I'm pretty sure are some of the same accounts of the exploding rifle as you. Other boards have pretty much discounted it as negligent use by the shooter, either overloading or double loading.

I got most of what I know about them from a place called "Doug's Message Boards". Lots of good and helpful folks over there.

If you're considering getting one, you should go ahead and make your move pretty soon. Savage was building them on a contract of the license from the guy who invented the system. They are letting the contract expire with no apparent plans to replace them or continue production.

Give me a shout if you want to test drive mine. I'll be glad to loan it to you and give you a quick course on the operation.

Sorry I was slow getting back to you. Been working on blinds. ;)

ultimatemancave.jpg