Need help re --> SBE II

FISH-ON

Hey guys, need your help/advice. I have the above 12gau shotgun and went for deer this week for the first time. Now last month I went up north for some grouse to break her in and fired a box of target load threw her. Had no problem hitting a few birds during that weekend (using Federal ammo). However my buddy who is fully licensed purchased the ammo (as my Firearms license is still in the process) and purchased Winchester slugs 2 3/4 1oz, Supreme I believe, the problem is the ammo I was using costed me my first 2 does (40yd shoots) sitting position as I found out later it shoots 2ft high and to the left at 50 yards using a make shift bullseye out of cardboard and this was validated by 2 different hunters I was up there with and they were shooting from the kneeling position. I was using improved mod. choke, is this possibly certain ammos react differently. I was told Rottweil is the ammo I should be using for this shotgun, could it be anything else???....any info./advice will be appreciated

As well the only place in Toronto that carries the rifled/slug barrel for the above wants $700+, does anyone know of any other places cheaper (ie. Amazon, ebay etc) and if you have a part# that would be great as well

Thx

Edited by FISH-ON

First of all, I would use the cyl. choke tube rather than the imp. mod. The more open the choke, the better. Second, make sure you are shooting ball slugs of some sort, not the sabots. Third, I would sight this in on a bench or solid rest so you know exactly where it is shooting. Fourth, You may need some sort of sighting device, i.e. a conventional scope, red dot, or just plain open sights. Shotguns are not known to be tack drivers out of the box. You may have to work a little bit to figure out how to get the gun to shoot close enough to point of aim so that you can hit a deer with it. Smoothbore shotguns can be fairly accurate up to 100 yards, but you will have to do some homework. As far as the rifled/slug barrel, you won't be finding that on ebay. They are anti-gun, big time..Gun Broker may be your best bet, but they are not cheap, anywhere. Hope this helps some. Good luck, hey..Mike

I noticed on the SBEII that it has the holes pre-tapped up top for a scope....my question would be how difficult is it to mount a scope on the gun for deer season only and then remove it for small game and vice-versa....any possible problems? what is an accurate estimate on range with a scope, 100yds? no wind consistenetly shooting 2" dia approx?

Would it come in handy for turkey having the scope on?

Sorry about the questions....new to hunting

Been an avid angler most of my life and decided to take up another hobby

Thx

Optics would be necessary for accurately shooting slugs, and helpful for turkey hunting. However each would require their own zero. A nice red dot would cover both, but again, the zero would have to be corrected for whichever type of hunting you will be doing.

I would remove the base for wing shooting.

I wouldn't trust a mount to return to zero after removing the base and then reinstalling it. It will be close, but I'd still want to check it at the range.

Quick release rings would help.

• 4 months later...

Hey guys, I was wondering if you can help me out. I finally was able to verify that my shotgun (Benelli SBEII-Max-4) is firing high 14"-16" dead center @ 50 yards which was verified @ a shooting range with different ammo (2 3/4" slug) from a still/sit position with various shooters. When I spoke to Benelli the CSR explained cause its a European gun that it does fire slightly higher and suggested trying to add/remove the shims to help compensate. I asked some other veteran hunters and told me that changing the shims will have nothing to do with the gun firing high, 1 suggestion was to buy a higher (elevation) front bead/sight so as to overcompensate my target...any thoughts/suggestions

Now call me nieve/ignorant but were your spending that kind of $ on a shotgun should it not fire as to were you point your target, as well is there any possibility the gun is defective?

First of all, putting in the thickest shim will, in fact, lower your POI. It will not lower it 16''. I would put the shim in and see what happens. A taller front sight will help, also. If you are shooting slugs out of this thing, put a scope of some sorts on it so you can adjust it to your needs. Take it off when you bird hunt. It is that simple.

I agree with that. Different ammo can make a difference, as will a different choke. I would try and find the ammo that I wanted to shoot, and if it did not shoot to POA, scope the gun, or put some sort of adjustable sights on it. Kentucky windage is the only other option. And that's not a good one..