m1014 only 4+1

bryanter1

I just picked up a M1014 and found that the tube only holds four 2 3/4 shells rather then five. Before I disassemble anything I figured I would post here to see if anyone could provide some feedback. I recall hearing that sometimes there is a limiter installed in the tube that prevents getting a full load. Thanks

Hi Bryanter and welcome to the forum.

You might check your capacity with another brand of shells, some brands are slightly longer (up to 1/8" or so) when you times that by the number of shells in the mag tube you can end up a little shy of getting in the last round.

Later,

Hookster :)

if you go to the specifications page of the m4, it lists the capacity as 4+1. I think most people add a full length tube anyways. There have been a lot of discussions lately also on different manufacturers having different length 2 3/4 " shells....so trying a shorter brand may let you fit 5. You can also float or ghost load a round.....

here is a link of ghost loading and fitting 5 in the tube

I noticed federal tactical buck runs a little longer than say fiocci and some other brands. I pulled my spring and cut 2 or three coils off so i could fit 7 of the federal loads in my full length tube. and it functions fine. I also ordered an extra spring with my titanium fl tube in case cutting the spring caused any problems....but it didnt, and now i have an extra spring for the future. If you dont want to cut coils, Fiocci makes pretty affordable and decent performing nickel plated buckshot that tends to run pretty short in overall length. Hornady TAP buck also runs short enough to fit 7 without cutting the springs

Edited by tinman1975

The M1014 should only fit 4+1. I have an extended mag (+2) that I would be willing to straight trade for your stock mag tube. I also bought an M1014, but with an extended mag. In NY they aren't legal, so I'm willing to trade. It'll save you a few bucks and me a few headaches with the ATF in my area.

It makes the M1014 6+1 using 3" shells or 7+1 using 2 3/4" shells.

I just picked up a M1014 and found that the tube only holds four 2 3/4 shells rather then five. Before I disassemble anything I figured I would post here to see if anyone could provide some feedback. I recall hearing that sometimes there is a limiter installed in the tube that prevents getting a full load. Thanks

Exactly what shells were you using? Hookster's right, different shells are often a hair longer than others. Even within the same brand. So a Federal OO buck is a little shorter than a Federal OO buck with flight control by 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch, that's enough to make a difference when adding up the total and you may not be able to fit that last one in. Some shells are much longer, like Rio. I use standard Federal OO buck and slugs (127). They work great for me.