About 24 shots

energizer

For the second time now i have discovered that after about 24 shots (one box of shells) my R1 starts to jam up. First it will begin by not fully loading the first shell when you put in a full clip. The shell will get half way out of the clip and stop. I have to then pull back the bolt and release it again. After 3 or 4 more shots it will then fail to pick up the next shell after ejection. One box seems to be the majic number before a complete take down cleaning and oiling.

Is this similar to your experiences or is there a trick to keeping this thing rolling a little longer. Or, dare i say it, is this an exeptional problem experienced by myself alone.

P.S. It still filled both of my whitetail supplimental doe tags today.

I have not had any problems but I load the chamber, release the bolt, and than I take out the clip and load the clip, and throw it back in.

Also, I let the bolt slam, I don't release it gingerly, although maybe I could in fact. That is something I'll have to test, but I let the bolt slam and it works every time.

Umm, what else. Yeah, use a sling, and I've shot 50 in a day before, but lately I just shoot a case of 20 (maybe it is 24 in the USA but not in Canada).

I always test my scope so I load the first round into the chamber and shoot without loading the clip, and if it is accurate than I might go to loading the clip so I can have more shots. Oh and I'm not sure how I want to do the shooting in groups because I've still working on getting an accurate 5 shots while standing, but I think that I've figured out something recently that will help, but this part is where the marksman comes in and I'm too new to shooting. I'm going to try out a better scope for one thing and delegate my lesser scope to a mini rifle like the MR1.

Unless you are talking about drinking two cases of beer, like 24 beers instead of cartridges....

Make sure that the safety is on before you load and turn it off after you shoot the last round. I sometimes forget, but I always look before I load.

Edited by Tinsel

Not sure what's in a box (reload) but as far as droping the bolt goes. I don't put a cartridge in the chamber. Just 3 in the mag put in the mag and push the release. This releases the bolt at max velocity i would asume. Once i tear her apart and clean her up she works well again for a box or so.

Try putting one in the chamber and let the inertia system do the reload from the magazine. There is less chance of an accident.

One probably does not need to let the bolt slam on the cartridge in the chamber, but I usually let it slam. Anyway it is my first rifle, but I'll ease the bolt closed next time I shoot. I've only shot 140 rounds or so. A few didn't fire, probably including that one that was aimed at myself!

I've put 140 rounds through mine so far and I've had it for about four or five months. It is fun to shoot with since it is powerful and at the same time it can be accurate. I figure that I'll buy another R1 when this one looks worn, or say after a certain amount of shots, than I'll just retire it and use a brand new one. Some of the Benelli guns are somewhat difficult to buy in Canada but you can get them. I'll have to wait for a MR1 for example because I called a couple of places and they are on back order. A super black eagle II on the other hand is easy to find. The R1's are available but not plentiful, yet I can get another one. I'm not sure why R1's are not easy to find. Yeah well this is a strange setup with all of the people in these countries, I'm not sure if it is actually true that there are so many people because they keep so quiet.

I might not use the R1 as much when I get an MR1 if the MR1 is fun to shoot with. At any rate, the R1 can handle quite a bit of shooting. I feel the barrel to see how hot it gets. It is hot after shooting five rounds so let it cool down for a few minutes at least.

There was one place that I called and they had 15, R1 rifles on back order.

Edited by Tinsel

My new R-1 300 WinMag has has 140 rounds through it consisting of Federal factory, W780 handloads (150s, 168 & 180s), A4350 150s, H4831 150,168 & 180. Bullets have been Barnes, Hornady, Sierra & Nosler.

Still have yet to clean it and it has yet to malfunction.

If you want a malfunction, ease the bolt closed. Just like any semi auto, you gotta let the operating system close the bolt.

I also own an MR-1 that has seen 500 plus rounds of whatever I can get the cheapest (no steel case).

Just goes bang everytime I pull the trigger and has never been apart since the initial tear down, cleaning

and lubrication.

It is amusing that all the AR boys are rushing to create piston guns. Guess what the OS on the R-1 & MR-1 is ? AND it is a shorter stroke system (cleaner)!

An issue with no evidence to support it. As I recall the USMC 12 bore Bennelli (which uses the ARGO system) passed the 5000 round test, the mud test and water immersion test without a hiccup.

The one fault the R-1 has is that it is tough on case rims. They still seem to work fine but look a bit ratty after 5 reloads. I do not full length size as all 300 Winmag fl dies set back the shoulder which contributes neither to accuracy or case life.

Only new factory Winchester brass is used for hunting loads after neck sizing, trim to square up and chamfering.

Just an aside, but still waiting for my Winchester National Match M-1 to malfunction...and it's on its second barrel !

several have mentioned it and i agree, let the action strip the shell and close the bolt. using that i have never had a problem with mine. try to ease the bolt closed (to be quiet or for whatever reason) and it will need to be opened up, remove the shell with fingers. With mine this is every time!! i have never successfully been able to get a shell properly chambered by easing it closed.

• 4 weeks later...

I have not been able to quietly and carefully close the bolt unless I purposely want the gun to be loaded but unable to fire!

Typically load the magazine, put it in, release the bolt, then pull the mag and put a round in it to be full. (mine is .300 WSM so that is 4 total, one in chamber, 3 in mag)

if anyone has come up with a quiet and reliable method to get the gun loaded and ready to fire, it would be nice to read.