Benelli Tactical

Tinsel

I see that there isn't any hand guns but there is an MR1 and a M4 tactical shot gun. So I have a beginner question:

1) Is the MR1 easier to shoot with as far as having less kick than a M4. That is what it looks like, but maybe someone can verify. I'm thinking that in a tactical situation that aiming and firing quickly several shots on target is ideal. I suppose that if a person were strong enough than they could do the same thing with an R1 rifle but the R1 is also probably noisy compared to a MR1.

Not sure what your question might be. Check the specs.

The MR1 is 5.56mm and will have the same "kick" as the US M4 Carbine.

The R1 is a large caliber game rifle that Benelli claims has "half the kick" of the same caliber in other rifles because of proprietary recoil reduction. .30-06 kick is pretty stout, for example, especially without a butt pad.

Any 12 guage shotgun, including the Benelli M4 Shotgun, has in my experience, more kick than a .30-06 rifle.

Benelli makes some premium firearms, but there are better 5.56mm NATO and 7.62mm NATO weapons available from dozens of manufacturers all based on the ubiquitous M16 system . Not sure the niche of the R1 at all. The MR1 seems to be a high end hunting rifle and neither is a "tactical" weapon.

-- Chuck

The R1 30-06 is nice and easy to shoot. It has some safety features, I have noticed! The thing is that when shooting the R1 it makes quite a loud noise and it is fairly tough to shoot say a batch of 5 rounds with accuracy while standing. It takes a while to get off 5 with accuracy.

Now I see the MR1 and it looks like it might be easier to handle and I see that the cartridges are 55 grain (as opposed to the R1's 180 grain). How much noise does the MR1 make compared to the R1?

How much lighter is it (I will look at the specs but I have to run at the moment).

The only way you can compare a MR1 to an AR platform in terms of durability or otherwise is to use a piston driven style AR. The piston driven AR and MR1 stay much cleaner than a Direct Impingement AR. As for kick my MR1 had a hair less recoil than my Smith & Wesson M&P15.

• 2 months later...
The only way you can compare a MR1 to an AR platform in terms of durability or otherwise is to use a piston driven style AR. The piston driven AR and MR1 stay much cleaner than a Direct Impingement AR. As for kick my MR1 had a hair less recoil than my Smith & Wesson M&P15.

Having both the MR1 and the M&P15, I tend to agree about the kick from a 'force' standpoint, but I do feel that the MR1 cushions it quite a bit resulting in a quicker recovery and less muzzle lift. The M&P15 takes a bit more time to get back on target as a result.

Having both the MR1 and the M&P15, I tend to agree about the kick from a 'force' standpoint, but I do feel that the MR1 cushions it quite a bit resulting in a quicker recovery and less muzzle lift. The M&P15 takes a bit more time to get back on target as a result.

It's also nice that the MR1's sights are much closer to the bore.

Factory to factory set-up, to be sure. But, change the compensator/flash hider/ {insert tact-ti-cool word here} and it can dramatically decrease muzzle rise on the AR platform. I have used the PWS 556 and the Battlecomp and they both push the rifle straight back vs. the 1 or so inch of muzzle rise.

I almost hesitate to use the word "recoil" with an AR since it's so non-existent. muzzle rise though, certainly a valid concern for follow-up shots.

Ultimately to answer the original question. . get the rifle that fits you best, in the caliber you can afford to shoot regularly to maintain your weapon skills.

good luck! either way, you're getting a gun. that's awesome!! :D

the only 30 06 I have shot is a Garand and it kicks like a mule compared to a Benelli M4 or a .223.

A .223 or 30-06 is good if your 100 to 300 yards out which is not normal self defence.

for self defence a M4 with 7 to 9 rounds of buck shot is devestating esp considering that is up to 81 30 caliber pellets in 9 pulls of the trigger.