M4 choke for coyotes

squawberryman

I don't know what you want me to say ... do you want me to name off every brand of choke manufacturer?'

Some people find that their buckshot actually patterns the tightest with a mod choke ... a tighter constriction doesn't ALWAYS mean a smaller group, if the lead shot is getting deformed or deflected on the way out, it may be off target.

As always, the best way to find out which choke patterns best is to test it for yourself using your desired ammo. Sorry, it sucks I know, to not be able to simply buy something that is universally the best ... but that's kind of the nature of the game with chokes and ammo variances.

I entirely agree with what Duggan said (and not because I happen to manufacture chokes)! Most often a change in ammo will do the trick, but that can be expensive too. Patterning the gun/choke combination is the only way to find out how your gun will shoot.

GTPSC

the problem I'm finding is that there are chokes for evey camo benelli out there but not specifically listed for the M4. Thanks to the last few posters I think i've got a lead. The area where we shoot lends itself to a close shot if I'm lucky (AND FAST). I don't want to have a coyote run up on me at 30 yards with a scope on 10 power. I want to have a tighter choke to start out with right off the bat to check choke/shot combos. Thank you gentlemen.

the problem I'm finding is that there are chokes for evey camo benelli out there but not specifically listed for the M4. Thanks to the last few posters I think i've got a lead. The area where we shoot lends itself to a close shot if I'm lucky (AND FAST). I don't want to have a coyote run up on me at 30 yards with a scope on 10 power. I want to have a tighter choke to start out with right off the bat to check choke/shot combos. Thank you gentlemen.

I wasn't aware Coyote's generally rushed people. Every story I've heard paints them as giant cowards that are afraid to do anything without someone else doing it first.

That said, I totally agree that you want backup ... I always am amazed at the amount of stories I hear about people bow hunting that run into bears, wolves etc and don't even have a pistol or something.

I wasn't aware Coyote's generally rushed people. Every story I've heard paints them as giant cowards that are afraid to do anything without someone else doing it first.

That said, I totally agree that you want backup ... I always am amazed at the amount of stories I hear about people bow hunting that run into bears, wolves etc and don't even have a pistol or something.

They don't rush people. If your a good hunter they don't know your there. There rushing the call. It's what there designed to do. If you do your part, a shotgun is all you need. There not as dumb as you would think. Bobcats and coyotes are some of the hardest hunting. It takes a true skill to get them into 40 yards. Anyone can shoot them out in the open at 400 yards.

As far as backup, many states don't allow "backup guns" such as pistols. If your scared, then don't hunt. If you don't have the skill, then leave it to the men.

Just saying.

They don't rush people. If your a good hunter they don't know your there. There rushing the call. It's what there designed to do. If you do your part, a shotgun is all you need. There not as dumb as you would think. Bobcats and coyotes are some of the hardest hunting. It takes a true skill to get them into 40 yards. Anyone can shoot them out in the open at 400 yards.

As far as backup, many states don't allow "backup guns" such as pistols. If your scared, then don't hunt. If you don't have the skill, then leave it to the men.

Just saying.

I don't care if the state "allows" it or not, my CCW permit doesn't get suspended when I step in the woods. I'm bringing a pistol ... you'd be crazy not to if you have the ability.

Anybody know where to get a full type choke for one? I'm using it as a backup to a 204. All suggestions welcome, pics too.

A little off topic but........

Are you hitting the coyotes at 400 with your 204 and dropping them reliably?

If so that might have to be my next rifle.

What glass are you using?

Edited by cksh8me

the "I can" 400 comment was a response to a "playa hayta". My CZ 204 will stretch to 300 with no hold over out to 300. Past that I'd need more maginification than the 4-14 Valdada i have on it. Yes, this is an endorsement for IOR Valdada products. I have six of them from a fixed 4 on a 22 mag to a 9-36 on an AR10-T in 300 RSAUM.