Benelli M4 - Sling?

wave

If you drop an M4 it might shoot accidentally, but if you drop a Super Nova, than it is safe because you need to close the action manually.

I have a sling for the Super Black Eagle II and it is awesome, same with any rifle like the R1 rifle, you need a sling and you need it to fit tight. I shot recently with the R1 and the sling wasn't tight enough so it wasn't fully effective.

I don't think that the tactical shot guns are as nice to shoot long distance as say a Super Black Eagle II or the slug gun, so I'd maybe put one slug in, and the rest buck shot or lighter shot depending upon where you are shooting.

The thing is, with the tactical shot gun, you can pull it up to the shoulder and hit a target 600 feet away, so that is nicer to use than a hand gun.

Edited by Tinsel

All slings suck but some suck less than others. They have a habit of getting in the way or otherwise wrapping around body parts.

Single point slings look kool and have application if you're on a SWAT or military entry team but are otherwise (as noted) a Pendulum of Pain. You have no control of a single-slung weapon (shotgun or carbine) during movement unless you use your hand(s) which negates the major purpose of the sling which is to free your hands.

Modern two-point slings have quick set/release buckles to secure the weapon tight to your body during movement or when using your pistol. Three-point slings like the Giles Sling (named after Giles Stock) offer superior retention in combat situations at the expense of complexity.

My preference is a two point sling with the aft attachment between the receiver and stock and the forward attachment at the end of the forearm. Doesn't get in the way under most conditions. Secondary aft position toward the rear of the buttstock as the M4 Shotgun comes stock.

Most training courses require a sling as they teach transition to the pistol and don't want you dropping your primary weapon too often. Since you need professional instruction you should see what sling they prefer and start with that.

-- Chuck

I have a specter gear 2 point sling. It's in my gun bag waiting for it's day. When will it's day arrive you may be asking.... there will be a day when carrying a gun becomes necessary. I'll put my sling on and I'll put my 6 shot side saddle on. Otherwise my M4 is just a grab and go HD gun and I like to keep it as simple as possible. Some may argue that having a sling will keep an intruder from stripping you of your gun. That is true, a sling could keep your gun on you rather than somebody else. But personal preference would rather not have a sling, but that's just me.

By the way, I put the sling and side saddle on often when shooting to get the practice that is NECESSARY to be as effective as I can be should the need arise. And I will not throw my M4 to the ground unless I'm dead beside it.:cool:

Actually a sling, multiple point, does work for the M4 because it is sort of like a rifle, point and shoot, but with a Super Nova Tactical it might not work as well because you have to operate the pump action. That is what I'm thinking now.

I could probably transition to a hand gun using my left hand since I'm multi dexterous, which is an oddity.

• 1 month later...
I have the VCAS sling with push-buttons, I used a Daniel Defense sling adapter for the front attachment point to the Brugger & Thomet rail assembly and a Mesa Tactical rear QD sling adapter for the Benelli C-stock.

DSC02911.jpg

DSC02910.jpg

Good gravy... I love it, you are well prepared. There is not much else you could hang on there, well done!

I have the VCAS sling with push-buttons, I used a Daniel Defense sling adapter for the front attachment point to the Brugger & Thomet rail assembly and a Mesa Tactical rear QD sling adapter for the Benelli C-stock.

DSC02911.jpg

DSC02910.jpg

What type of side saddle is that?

NO, the Mesa Tactical QD mount doesn't interfere at all. Installation of their kit is a pain in the ass though. I've done a few, they all fit perfect and tight with enough time filing and fitting.

Thanks for the heads up, that will definitely help! Just ordered one. :D