USMC manaual on the M4 and questions of 5+1+1 and sights?

saym14

I am reading the USMC M4 manual which says the mil spec M4 can hold 7+1+1. will the civilian M4 also then hold 5+1+1 and funtion?

also the manual says the slot in the rail should co-witness with the sights so that one could still use the iron sights under an optics. my rail seems to be much lower and I dont think would allow this. is the Civi M4 top rail different ?

Manual refers to the M1014 JFS, not the Benelli M4 Tactical. There is a slight difference between the M1014 JFS that the Marine Corps purchased and current-production M4 Tacticals.

My understanding is that slight modification would have to be made to newer M4 Tacticals to "float" a round on the elevator. I think there was a thread showing how to do that, but I haven't done it myself.

As far as I know, the rail that is on a civilian M4 Tactical is the same as what is on the M1014 JFS.

Also, since I'm in "a mood" and being nit-picky--not your fault; someone just made me do work today--the "M4" is a carbine based on the Stoner AR rifle system. The "M4 Tactical" is a 12-ga. autoloading shotgun from Benelli.

I tried this at the range, using buckshot and slugs.

I only tried it 3 times, but it worked each time without any problem.

I also have some snapcaps for drills and practice, and the shells cycle manually without a problem when I have 5+1+1 (with one in the carrier).

If anyone here did have a problem doing it, please post here so we can know if it's a reliability issue with the weapon, the ammo type, or something else.

Ghost loading takes practice. Once you practice it enough you'll be able to get it every time without fumbling around with the bolt and all that. One thing I've noticed is when you put that shell on the rail you want it pushed back as far as you can get it. Otherwise when you pull the bolt back and eject that first shell the bolt might stick and not want to go forward on it's own, requiring a little bump. I've only had this issue when cycling manually, never when actually shooting.

And from what I've seen, they put that channel in the rail so it doesn't intrude in your ghost ring sights when you're aiming;).

Ghost loading takes practice. Once you practice it enough you'll be able to get it every time without fumbling around with the bolt and all that. One thing I've noticed is when you put that shell on the rail you want it pushed back as far as you can get it. Otherwise when you pull the bolt back and eject that first shell the bolt might stick and not want to go forward on it's own, requiring a little bump. I've only had this issue when cycling manually, never when actually shooting.

agreed - if you dont push the ghost round down and back it will try to feed on top of the chambered round.