Pump or Autoloader

adharford

Ok so I've been looking for a shotgun and I am very interested in the American Benelli M2 but, I have looked at the Benelli Supernova in the past and im having trouble deciding pump or auto? What are your opinions? And bear in mind I will be using this gun for all types of wing shooting (Dove, Duck, Geese, Pheasant).

This is absolutely, positively, a matter of personal preference.

Most semi-autos are pretty reliable, though there are a few more things to go wrong when compared to a pump gun.

Pump guns are very reliable, and if you practice a lot, you can squeeze off shots almost as fast as an autoloader.

Whatever you get, the most important thing is GUN FIT!!! The gun has to fit you. This is critical if you want to hit what you are shooting at.

Good luck.

This is absolutely, positively, a matter of personal preference.

I agree with tim on this one, it is completely up to your preference/experience.

That said I prefer semi-autos above all else. I have an M2 and I can count the number of malfunctions outside of the initial break in on one hand. Also I think it helps me "concentrate" more on shooting than on thinking "hmm I'm pretty sure I didn't short stroke...I guess we'll see..."

Plus I'm an engineer so the "how" a semi auto works is interesting to me :p

Let's cut to the chase... Auto-loaders are fun !! Blam, Blam, Blam... I own quite a few pump .22's, but pump shotguns belong in the Smithsonian Museum in a display next to Cavemen learning about fire exhibit. You haven't lived until you shot a Remy 1100 in .410. Is their anything sweeter? Rack open a Browning A-5, then push a shell into the magazine. Watch that shell get whisked away at lightning speed directly into the chamber. Like watching an older locomotive running down the tracks. A-W-E-S-O-M-E !! And don't even, get me going about that slick little 20 guage Monty of mine or maybe my work horse S90 M1 Defense shotgun (7+1+1). Pass the AMMO please !

Word of caution. You will need a second job to pay for all the extra shotgun shells you'll be shooting, but when you're at the range and that elbow twisting, pump shooting, neanderthal humanoid next to you hits a clay pigeon and you blast off 3 quick ones to powderize the larger chunks of his clay... well...then you'll understand. Satisfied smirks on the shooters with autoloaders, do not come off!

Everyone above has responded wisely and with some passion.

Fit, gauge, barrel length.

Keep a semi lubed and maintained, it'll function fantastic if you use heavy enough load to cycle the action.

Whatever you get, train TRAIN TRAIN!!!! Know your weapon inside-out, function, mal-function(however rare they are) and practice! Have any activity become second nature. Shotty goes "click" instead of "bang" don't sit there and stare at it, FIX IT!!!!!!!! That should come as natural to you as breathing if you train.

Best of luck. Get a Semi! ;)

2-wheel

Ok so I've been looking for a shotgun and I am very interested in the American Benelli M2 but, I have looked at the Benelli Supernova in the past and im having trouble deciding pump or auto? What are your opinions? And bear in mind I will be using this gun for all types of wing shooting (Dove, Duck, Geese, Pheasant).

Can't decide?:(

Buy a Benelli M-3!!

Now you have both in one.:D

You may want a pump gun if you are comfortable using a pump-action gun (that takes considerable practice if you are new to this type of gun), do not mind the greater recoil, and want more reliability.

People choosing a semiautomatic gun appreciate the lowered perceived recoil, multiple shots without working the fore-end (pumping), and better target tracking while firing the gun.

If reliability is essential (i.e., law enforcement), the pump gun is the best choice. If comfortable shooting and better target tracking is the desired feature, a semiautomatic gun is the better choice.

--Spike

Let's cut to the chase... Auto-loaders are fun !! Blam, Blam, Blam... I own quite a few pump .22's, but pump shotguns belong in the Smithsonian Museum in a display next to Cavemen learning about fire exhibit. You haven't lived until you shot a Remy 1100 in .410. Is their anything sweeter? Rack open a Browning A-5, then push a shell into the magazine. Watch that shell get whisked away at lightning speed directly into the chamber. Like watching an older locomotive running down the tracks. A-W-E-S-O-M-E !! And don't even, get me going about that slick little 20 guage Monty of mine or maybe my work horse S90 M1 Defense shotgun (7+1+1). Pass the AMMO please !

Word of caution. You will need a second job to pay for all the extra shotgun shells you'll be shooting, but when you're at the range and that elbow twisting, pump shooting, neanderthal humanoid next to you hits a clay pigeon and you blast off 3 quick ones to powderize the larger chunks of his clay... well...then you'll understand. Satisfied smirks on the shooters with autoloaders, do not come off!

Are you serious?...Ohhh wait,.. you must be cause you own and shoot pump .22s..now thats modern technology at its finest...:rolleyes:

Pumps work despite what you may think, (Police and Swat teams prefer them over autos when the SHTF so what does that tell you ?) their sales numbers speak for themselves..if you have to have the latest and greatest auots than thats fine. Some folks prefer pumps, some prefer O/U's, some prefer autos...each are merely a tool we use and each have thier pros and cons..the most important part is that we use these tools proficiently whatever they may be.

Edited by hunter2678

Pumps work despite what you may think,

I don't think he was saying they don't work.

(Police and Swat teams prefer them over autos when the SHTF so what does that tell you ?)

That police and swat use beanbag/teargas and other low power rounds that it would be difficult to build an auto with enough range to handle at the same time as high-power rounds.

But if you wanted to use examples the military prefers semi-auto rifles, semi-auto pistols, and semi-auto shotguns what does that tell you :p

their sales numbers speak for themselves..

They are really cheap, make them the same price as autos and I think the numbers would level out.

Some folks prefer pumps, some prefer O/U's, some prefer autos...each are merely a tool we use and each have thier pros and cons..the most important part is that we use these tools proficiently whatever they may be.

Agreed. :)

I don't think he was saying they don't work.

That police and swat use beanbag/teargas and other low power rounds that it would be difficult to build an auto with enough range to handle at the same time as high-power rounds.

But if you wanted to use examples the military prefers semi-auto rifles, semi-auto pistols, and semi-auto shotguns what does that tell you :p

They are really cheap, make them the same price as autos and I think the numbers would level out.

Agreed. :)

Not to get off topic but Im pretty sure that Mossberg just recently secured a major contract with the US Army for their Tactical Pump 535s.

Edited by hunter2678

Pumps work despite what you may think, (Police and Swat teams prefer them over autos when the SHTF so what does that tell you ?) their sales numbers speak for themselves..if you have to have the latest and greatest auots than thats fine. Some folks prefer pumps, some prefer O/U's, some prefer autos...each are merely a tool we use and each have thier pros and cons..the most important part is that we use these tools proficiently whatever they may be.

Not to get off topic but Im pretty sure that Mossberg just recently secured a major contract with the US Army for their Tactical Pump 535s.

Oh, but we are WAAAY off topic. OP was looking for a gun for "wing shooting" ...

The Army's standard shotgun is the M1014, as it is for all other US military branches. That they still have need for a large quantity of pump shotguns speaks more to the versatility requirements of the Army, than the gun's suitability as a fowling piece versus an autoloader. Ultimately, the preferences of military/police units has little relevance to the preferences of bird hunters. (Most Special Forces units rock the pumps for their better reliability, compactness, and reduced weight; not for their hunting capabilities.)

1. Most police departments carry pump shotguns because that what the chief ordered. And the chief before him and the chief before him and the chief before him....

2. Most police departments carry pump shotguns because they cost less and their supplier cuts them a big savings.

3. Most police departments carry pump shotguns because their chiefs hate new modern gadgets like auto-loaders, computers, practise ammunition.....

4. Most police departments carry pump shotguns because it's a lesser complicated piece of equipment compared to auto-loaders and most police officers are firearm neophytes.

5. Don't pick on M1014's safe queens or he'll post your picture on this sight... geez....

^^ Very well stated… you obviously understand and know well what you are talking about. My compliments on your excellent rebuttal combined with accurate and informative details.

I’m a little surprised that M1014's gf (who is obviously not SgtCathy) allowed posting her picture here. ;)

--Spike

Edited by Spike100

The pump action is less accident prone and a tactical pump has features that allow a shot gun to be used for combat. Now the semi automatics are more powerful but they are not required in most situations, so they have a special team that uses them. Now a police officer has the ability to carry a shot gun and a shot gun has more stopping power than a hand gun. You can shoot open a door and other things as well with a shot gun (at least in the movies). Yeah, a shot gun is great to use as the primary weapon.

An officer could carry a few slugs and use the feature of the Super Nova Tactical that locks the magazine, than throw in a slug in the chamber and have a short distance rifle shot right there (100 - 300 yards), say at someone attempting to run away from a crime otherwise they should use shot. That is what I think anyway.

Edited by Tinsel

The pump action is less accident prone and a tactical pump has features that allow a shot gun to be used for combat. Now the semi automatics are more powerful but they are not required in most situations, so they have a special team that uses them. Now a police officer has the ability to carry a shot gun and a shot gun has more stopping power than a hand gun. You can shoot open a door and other things as well with a shot gun (at least in the movies). Yeah, a shot gun is great to use as the primary weapon.

An officer could carry a few slugs and use the feature of the Super Nova Tactical that locks the magazine, than throw in a slug in the chamber and have a short distance rifle shot right there (100 - 300 yards), say at someone attempting to run away from a crime otherwise they should use shot. That is what I think anyway.

100 to 300 yards is really stretching it. 100 yards is max for average Law Enforcement. Most states have done away with the "Fleeing Felon" laws. So if you are shooting at someone fleeing from a crime, UNLESS he is firing at you, or actively endangering an innocent, then you are the one in trouble.

Let's cut to the chase... pump shotguns belong in the Smithsonian Museum in a display next to Cavemen learning about fire exhibit.

I have to say I laughed several times at this. I own a pump, an auto loader, and O/U. I'll grab the auto loader first shooting for score, the O/U I love the look and feel of, the pump - ha, I gotta say I love the "elemental" feel of the pump. The mechanical "rack, rack" of the slide. It's purpose built and feels like a good 4x4 truck in that it'll take any abuse I can dish out. I love it as much as my Montefeltro, . . . but the Monte goes with me anytime I shoot and it's usually the first gun I grab.

Thanks for the post Sgt!

Dear DoctorLivingstone,

I came down pretty hard on pump shotguns to honor a friend who passed on to that great Pheasant field in the sky. We used to argue the merits of pump verses auto all the time with many laughs and jokes thrown in. He used to end all those conversations by reminding me that "when men go hunting for a week and they don't shave and the only thing that gets washed is their hands, it's the old tried and true pump gun they take along". I think your second and third sentence sums up his feelings exactly.

A few days ago, I took out my Remy 1100 in .410 guage and after 7 shots, 3 hours in the field and bagging 4 Quail, I'm sure my old friend was looking down on me and saying " if you had used a pump .410, you wouldn't have missed three times"!