Need help with purchase

johnspies

I'm left-handed and want to hunt turkey, dove and duck. I've been told to get a leftie gun and that I need 3 1/2" shell capability by my duck-huntin' machine brother-in-law.

Really wanted a supernova because it seems to do everything I need and is something I can afford....but, it's not leftie, so I guess it's out.

After getting hot brass down my shirt a couple times firing the M-16 in the Army, I'd sure like to not spend $700 on a shotgun that burns me too!

Any advice? thanks, John

No, I don't suppose so. I just want to get it right the first time and Benelli seems highly regarded. Mixed reviews on the 11-87 Remington or I'd get that one. I saw someplace that there was an accessory you could put on the shotgun to force the ejected shell away from you....opinions on that?

I'm used to a right-handed rifle so it's not that...just the hot brass or gunpowder.

I'd get a left handed Wingmaster (magnum receiver) and shoot that for a season or two, it will do it all just fine..if you still want the spendier Benelli later on down the road sell/keep the Wingmaster and get you the benny...

I still have the Wingmaster that I bought when I was 17... its taken Doves, rabbits, Geese, and Ducks wonderfully and has been a pleasure to own.

My son is right handed left eye dominate. I got him a Browning pump shotgun as it is a bottom eject so you can shoot it left or right handed (it has a tang safety so no issue there either). I am not sure on the availablity of 3.5" Browning pumps though....never looked.

Pat

Ive hunted with a leftie shooting a right handed semi auto, and he said once he got used to it the shells flying across his face wasnt a big deal. The problem I would see comes in the ease of the activation/deactivation of the safety. Righthanded benellis and leftie benellis are opposite in the safety activation. My advice would be either a browning bps, which ejects the shell out of the bottom, or a left handed pump gun from another manufacturer. You really cant go wrong with an 870 remington. Later on down the line if you decide you want to spend the coin pick up a left handed m2 or Sbe2. As far as the 3.5" shell goes. Ive always kind of seen it as an answer to an unasked question. In my opinion, if ducks and geese are decoying, the 3" does the trick, everytime. Ive killed both ducks and geese with my m1 and never was I looking for a bit more shot. If you want to sky bust and put little dents in the bottom of airplanes flying at 20000 feet, by all means get the 3.5"

If you find your really hung up on the 3 1/2" shell you might really want to consider an autoloader over a pump, the recoil out of the pump shotguns might be a bit more than you bargained for. As for which brand well you decide, but stick to one of the major manufacturers.........so dont skimp on quality......and get the one that fits you the best.