Screw JB Weld...I tigged my SBEII

tucker301

I took the bolt to work and was going to do the JB Weld thing on it at lunchtime.

The head machinist saw it asked what I was doing. I told him and he asked a couple of questions about it. In a few minutes, I had the bolt stripped down and in his hands. A few minutes later, he returned with the finished product.

A little touch-up cosmetics and you can't even tell this one ever had a groove in it!

Test fired today and it cranks through four like it was made to do it :D

It's nice to work with people with skills!

[ 02-23-2005, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

This has been discussed here and on other forums at great length. The general consensus is that the gun would only be considered as illegal if 1) the user were caught with 4 shells in the gun, or 2) the user were witnessed firing four shots without reloading, and the gun was proven to hold four shells.

I did the mod because I wanted the option to float the extra shell when hunting snows.

I know this has been covered elsewhere but I thought I'd jump in anyway. Here's the rule directly from the USFWS site under "What hunting methods are illegal [for migratory birds]?"

" (b) With a shotgun of any description capable of holding more than three shells, unless it is plugged with a one-piece filler, incapable of removal without disassembling the gun, so its total capacity does not exceed three shells."

Then it goes on the list the exceptions for the special snow goose seasons tucker301 mentioned.

I guess the key word is 'capable', if an officer knows to check an SBE for the mod and finds it while you are hunting ducks or doves or whatever then you're busted whether or not you had 4 shells in the gun at the time.

Anybody know what a spare bolt for an SBE costs? That way you could have a legal gun when you wanted/needed to.

Since many, many, guns float a shell on the carrier, I doubt that feature alone will ever render a gun de facto illegal.

It's the act of loading and shooting 4+ shells that may be illegal.

On another site, one guy mentioned that the wardens in his area now ask for the gun to be handed to them before unloading.

Tucker accurately states what I have heard about getting cited for 4 shells.

mudhen - CA

Originally posted by IdahoDucker:

I know this has been covered elsewhere but I thought I'd jump in anyway. Here's the rule directly from the USFWS site under "What hunting methods are illegal [for migratory birds]?"

" (b) With a shotgun of any description capable of holding more than three shells, unless it is plugged with a one-piece filler, incapable of removal without disassembling the gun, so its total capacity does not exceed three shells."

Then it goes on the list the exceptions for the special snow goose seasons tucker301 mentioned.

I guess the key word is 'capable', if an officer knows to check an SBE for the mod and finds it while you are hunting ducks or doves or whatever then you're busted whether or not you had 4 shells in the gun at the time.

Anybody know what a spare bolt for an SBE costs? That way you could have a legal gun when you wanted/needed to.

[ 02-24-2005, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: OldFlick ]

Originally posted by tucker301:

Here they simply ask us for three of our own shells.

The game Warden that I ran ito here this winter had a delrin ( kinda like teflon but more durable)rod that he inserted into the magazine to check to see how many shells it would hold. It had markings on it for different shell lenghts.

He was more interesteds in my new Benelli M2 than in checking things out.

Mike :D