First few months with guns

Tinsel

Now that I have had my license for a few months I was able to try out some guns and I also purchased some. Now, I see that there is quite a difference between a rifle and a shot gun and than there is even some more differentiation based on each type. Well I didn't know anything about shooting until I started trying them out. Now I have a bit of knowledge and it continues to expand. Here is what I feel. I probably have a couple of guns that I do not really need. I might not use them very much in other words.

Either I'll hold on to them or else I'll sell. It does not hurt to hold on to a gun that fits into a category, for example, long range, or mid range, or short range accuracy. I have enough money that I can just hold on to a gun that I don't use very often. What I am saying here however is that if I actually knew what these guns were capable of, than I wouldn't have bought certain ones because I only wanted perhaps one or two types which is plenty because they are what I now believe are the ones that I would go with, having tried an assortment of them.

When I started out, I just wanted to try out a gun, plain and simple and I just went to the store and bought one which seemed to look awesome. When for the first time I heard the instructor shoot my rifle, I was amazed that it was so loud. That was unreal. I thought to myself, why am I doing this. This is crazy. Anyway, now I can handle it.

I have not gone too far overboard here, BTW. Yet, there is a large variety to chose from. I think I'm done now. I believe that I have now exhausted the possibilities by the end of this month. I graduated it appears in general firearms training/experience.

A few thoughts on your post:

1. The day you think you think you really have something "figured out" is the day you have made a mistake. You'll soon learn that you don't even know yet what you don't know. This applies to everything in life, not just firearms.

2. Never sell a gun. You may not need it today. But you might later. Or it'll fall into the category of, "man, I wish I'd never sold that gun." Which tends to happen 10 or 20 years from now, and the reasons are myriad (sentimental, the value went waaaay up, now you have a need, etc.)

3. You are new to the whole firearms ownership thing. Once the "shine" wears off, you will recognize firearms for what they really are. Tools. Mechanical devices with a specific purpose. They're not magic. They're not scary. They're neither good nor bad. They're just a tool.

4. You never graduate in firearms training/experience. You just learn more. Like the old saying goes, "its a journey, not a destination." If you think you've graduated, then you might think you don't have more to learn. I've been around firearms nearly all my life. I learn something new all the time. In fact, I enjoy learning new things.

5. Practice, practice, practice. The best way to become not only proficient with your guns but safer with your guns is to use them, regularly, at the range until they become an extension of yourself when you have them in your hands.

6. Never, never, never take them for granted. Always respect the gun for what it is capable of, if misused or abused.

7. Remember, YOU are responsible for the bullet/shot until it stops, when you have control of the gun. Not the manufacturer. Not the person who got in the way. Not the safety because it malfunctioned. Not the rock because the bullet ricocheted. YOU.

Never forget the rules of safe gun handling, especially the top three:

Always maintain muzzle control.

Treat every gun as if it was loaded, even if you are 100% sure it is not. And even if the action is open.

Never point the gun at anything your don't want to shoot or kill.

Welcome to the world of responsible gun owners!

A few of the things that I wanted to accomplish is that if I were faced with a situation in which a gun was presented to me in some way, form, or circumstance, than I should be able to handle the gun safely rather than see it as a dangerous object that I did not understand.

I also wanted to see what it was like to shoot them, and it is also fairly normal for where I live to have a long gun, at least.

I'm slightly older in life now, not ancient, but a little bit of shooting is acceptable risk, and I'm past the point of relationships, family building, etc. It is a hobby with some fire contained in it, along with my other less tense hobbies.

Now it is not all good, this gun conscience is now ever present, however it must mean that I need to do more practicing as you said, so that it is solved; my conscience that is...and the reminders.

Oh yeah, but these guns are just fun and games in fact. So I can keep plenty but I started out of the gate too fast here, yet they make it that way, they force you to. Anyway, I did alright, that is the point. I'm satisfied, and I went with Benelli. They have almost all of the bases covered I think. Where are their hand guns...and not this one handed shot whatever it is.

A few thoughts on your post:

1. The day you think you think you really have something "figured out" is the day you have made a mistake. You'll soon learn that you don't even know yet what you don't know. This applies to everything in life, not just firearms.

2. Never sell a gun. You may not need it today. But you might later. Or it'll fall into the category of, "man, I wish I'd never sold that gun." Which tends to happen 10 or 20 years from now, and the reasons are myriad (sentimental, the value went waaaay up, now you have a need, etc.)

3. You are new to the whole firearms ownership thing. Once the "shine" wears off, you will recognize firearms for what they really are. Tools. Mechanical devices with a specific purpose. They're not magic. They're not scary. They're neither good nor bad. They're just a tool.

4. You never graduate in firearms training/experience. You just learn more. Like the old saying goes, "its a journey, not a destination." If you think you've graduated, then you might think you don't have more to learn. I've been around firearms nearly all my life. I learn something new all the time. In fact, I enjoy learning new things.

5. Practice, practice, practice. The best way to become not only proficient with your guns but safer with your guns is to use them, regularly, at the range until they become an extension of yourself when you have them in your hands.

6. Never, never, never take them for granted. Always respect the gun for what it is capable of, if misused or abused.

7. Remember, YOU are responsible for the bullet/shot until it stops, when you have control of the gun. Not the manufacturer. Not the person who got in the way. Not the safety because it malfunctioned. Not the rock because the bullet ricocheted. YOU.

Never forget the rules of safe gun handling, especially the top three:

Always maintain muzzle control.

Treat every gun as if it was loaded, even if you are 100% sure it is not. And even if the action is open.

Never point the gun at anything your don't want to shoot or kill.

Welcome to the world of responsible gun owners!

Well said. :)

Uhhhhh..........guns are cool.

Well said. :)

I went slightly too far but not to insane with buying them. The problem was that Benelli is not that easy to get, for example, I still can't get an M4, although I only tried so hard. I checked with about three popular gun shops and one out of the way one. The result was that I was able to get most of the main feature guns, not that I bought them all, but I could get them, however there is not a large supply, for example, if I wanted another R1 rifle, I could get one from a couple different sources, but they don't have a whole bunch of R1's lying around.

This is how I figured out how this whole thing works. There is plenty of differentiation among the family of Benelli guns, as well as among the super family of firearms, not just Benelli. These guns present different possibilities and I bet that over time, I might want to use one type over another depending upon what mood I am in. Well, so my plan is to be able to grab the gun that I want and head over to the gun range or where ever (at some point I will probably take the hunters education one day course and then get a hunting license). I liked shooting the hunting rifle, but now the tactical shot gun is interesting (you can add night vision), and there are other guns, not just for shooting clay, but there again, that is a different gun. What I should be able to do, now that I have a firearms license, is to be able to grab whatever gun that I want and go shooting and than forget about it, just enjoy the temporary high that I get after.

I'll buy all of the guns, but they have to be purchased over time. You see, all of the guns add up to less than twenty thousand dollars. Well a car costs more than that. Over four or five years that is pocket change, lol. Otherwise I'll buy about four or five primary guns and buy replacements for them every five years. The point is that these guns are not very expensive, and if they are purchased slowly than they cost almost nothing, but here is the final blow. I might have solved the riddle. These are not guns, they are a hobby and simply food for the imagination. My perception is changed from what it was before because I thought that these things might be useful. I'm not a gun collector but more like someone who is proficient at using the different types of guns, yet it feels like I already robbed the bank, and found out that what I need the money for is a mystery. The guns are good to have, although with a few other hobbies, it was worth taking the firearms course. I'm glad that I did it.

Edited by Tinsel

I'm not completely certain that it is a must have gun since I have the Super Noval Tactical, but than again it sure is popular, isn't it (the M4)?

It is a gun that I think that I could put the brakes on for, however one day when I am sitting there with a few bucks, than I could spring for it, or if the Super Nova Tactical does not hold water, or some good reason. I quickly tried the Super Nova Tactical and it was alright, but I don't like the plastic pump part, it seems that it should be more solid, like metal rather than plastic. This would not be an issue with an M4.

I'm a little bit better with my guns. I was a bit rough on my R1 rifle, yet it can handle some roughness. It is doing fine. Next one, if I need to rely on a big rifle, I'll treat it with experience. It is one heck of a powerful gun, yet nice and compact. I'm generally more aware now in all kinds of ways when handling any rifle. A few months ago, the rifle was the same as a shot gun, as far as I knew.

I am now heading into some tactical guns, which feel nice and it helps to have used the hunting guns. You know, I went into this place today and did some shooting, but I asked them if they had a tactical sling, such as the two or three point type, and they did not have any of those slings. Is that ever insane. What in the world is going on. Two days ago I was in another gun shop and it was the same story, no slings.

Boy is this ever nuts. I'm almost forced to open my own gun shop here. Anyway, it is just a hobby and I am getting mixed results, some good things have transpired. I'm not ready to shoot up any store.

The last thing that I was going to say, is that I really am using my guns. They are not for display, but I want to see what kind of proficiency that I can develop over the next few years. I think that the Benelli guns are fairly tough. I wish that there were just a few more available, but at the moment I'm done shopping, at least until after Christmas.

I probably have a few questions about specific guns. Here is the thing though. I'd like to be able to get any one of these Benelli products and not worry about supply. I don't want to be forced to act like a criminal because there is a certain gun that is rare. The prices on these guns are not all that substantial but they are the guns that I want to use. I wonder why they are so rare, other than the Super Black Eagle II, that is. I shouldn't complain too much however. I'm stacked up for a while, and satisfied. It will keep me busy for the months ahead. I'm sure that I can wrestle up a sling somewhere. I have not tried that hard even though they should be prolific. I get tired sometimes after say four or five shots during one turn, and the sling keeps the barrel level. I think that I ripped one or two off the ceiling accidentally right at the end. By the powers, was it done on purpose, that is the question.

Edited by Tinsel

I have a picture of a Benelli gun on my photo album. That there is the only gun anyone ever needs unless they get into guns for a specific purpose.

The way that it should work is that if I needed a certain gun than I could get it but it would help to know which ones I wanted in the first place. Don't you think. That there answers all of the questions.

Now, make sure to disassemble, think safe, etc, lol.

I like being on the offensive with fire power for a couple hours during whatever day of the week it is, because I often remain defensive at other times. It is a good outlet for sure.

I shoot them in a very specific way, although sure, I've blasted a dozen or so bird shots at the air with some less care, but I have shot the serious fire power only under strict conditions. It is the only way.

I hate these guns until I am familiar with them. They are a burden and there is no sense regarding them because there is no understanding based on what these news agencies dish out to the dogs. So I know each gun according to my own purpose which I am working on fulfilling.