The NEW 2010-2011 Waterfowl Pictures Thread

tucker301

Tons of birds in our area, I mean tons, but they are just potted up, happy as clams, not flying much.

For me, this is about the time everything winds down anyway. It's duck season on the calendar, but these birds are tired of being chased, and will sit with live birds 23 hours a day now. They can be shy of everything. I'll still hunt hard through the close, but I've had a good season, and the blood-lust is starting to fade for me.....

Wish this guy had more of a bald pate:

2011birds3011.jpg

Shot the shoveler so I could head to work:

2011birds3003.jpg

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a feeling you were going to get into them...again :cool:

Im just disappointed in the lack of birds that are in the grasslands right now. In years past, the ducks may be wary but you still end up seeing a huge number of them and it takes some skill to pull them in.

But this year im not seeing the numbers anywhere down there. I hunted Volta NWR yesterday and every drake that buzzed around pond #23 I was able to pull into my dekes and kill. There was a good number of guys hunting yesterday and I heard very few shots.

My club backs up to the southern close zone of Kesterson NWR and usually that place is stacked with ducks and geese right now but that's not the case yet. So we'll see how Saturday goes.

Hey I guess some years you get into'em and some years you dont...

Edited by duckht183

Well season ended for us Sunday. Last three weekends were the best. Got my widgeon for the wall. Finished the season with 3 greenwing out of one volle. Nothing the rest of the day, but I was happy. Sorry no pics, didnt take camera with me. Total for the year was 37.

Thanks to all for the great pics of birds, support and advice. :cool:

The Snow's have finally arrived down here! My dad's buddy hunted the club Saturday afternoon and he said those geese were stacked in there. He unloaded his gun 4 straight times (12 3.5" shells total) at geese that were 35 yards above him and he did not drop A SINGLE ONE!

Lets just say he's gonna here about this one for a very long time...

I'm guessing this will do it for us this season. The last weekend is usually slow, and we just pick-up decoys, and hang out a bit. Good time to look at new clubs, just drive around, clean up the trailer, etc.

But this hunt should hold me for awhile, probably into next season :D

2011birds5023.jpg

wow that`ll do!

Friday nite and should be loading up.............is it duck season yet!!!!!!!!

Oh well, got one more layout to grass up then put away for what always seems like forever.

already got the other layouts and the dekes stowed..... :(:(

thanks for pics

Edited by dukaddict

can anybody tell me what type of duck this is? it was about 14" from head to tail..

161geug.jpg

used a standard 2 3/4" 7.5 birdshot on it out of my supernova tactical.. is there any way to prevent this from happening again? this is the entry side.. the exit side of it is pretty much destroyed.. i can provide a picture of it if wanted

and i did end up cooking it and eating it so it wasnt a waste.. wasnt much but it was still an alright meal

Edited by Alpengeist

i got one that lloked similar to that this year. we think mine was a hen goldeneye if that helps.

That's no goldeneye.

It's a hen Hooded Merganser.

It's a fish eater. Thus the saw-toothed bill.

Trust me. Destroying it to the point that there were no edible parts was a blessing. :D

thanks guys.. it was bugging me not knowing what it was.. i figured it was a hen of some sort but thats about all i knew.. and when i shot it i just had to laugh since it pretty much exploded

and tucker, seeing youre from central va as well, where do you shoot/hunt at?

Edited by Alpengeist

@Alpengeist

Im gonna call bullsh!t on your question about preventing that from hapening again.

7.5 birdshot? No way unless you were 5yds or less.

Lead or steel? They make 7.5 steel but is rare to find.

Ive swatted birds at 10yds with no.2 with no major damage. I shot, out of the air, a pintail about 10yds from the tip of my barrel this year with no2 with less damage.

Last but not least.

Why are you shooting at birds you cant i.d. IN HAND, much less in flight?

@Alpengeist

Im gonna call bullsh!t on your question about preventing that from hapening again.

7.5 birdshot? No way unless you were 5yds or less.

Lead or steel? They make 7.5 steel but is rare to find.

Ive swatted birds at 10yds with no.2 with no major damage. I shot, out of the air, a pintail about 10yds from the tip of my barrel this year with no2 with less damage.

Last but not least.

Why are you shooting at birds you cant i.d. IN HAND, much less in flight?

it was probably ~7yards away at most

as for the ammo it was federal field and target multipurpose

and i shot it since my friend that i was out shooting with told me to take the shot since we had the chance and nothing else was out there that day. and as yall have already noticed im new at this stuff. just about everyone starts the same way..

Edited by Alpengeist

You are old enough to read and to learn the laws. I can forgive a new hunter shooing a duck and not knowing what it is.

It happens.

But you should know the basic rules, and one of them is that you can only use non-toxic shot on waterfowl.

Also, duck season closed in VA today. So don't shoot anymore this winter!

That's no goldeneye.

It's a hen Hooded Merganser.

It's a fish eater. Thus the saw-toothed bill.

Trust me. Destroying it to the point that there were no edible parts was a blessing. :D

i said i got one that looked SIMILAR. and we THINK MINE was a hen goldeneye. im no expert and its no surprise i was wrong. i too am new to this sport. this was my first year. that was the only duck other than drake mallards i got this year. it amazes me how people can ID ducks in flight. i guess thats something that takes time. i havent been in a situation that i had a chance of takin over my limit on a certain species so if it was a duck i pulled the trigger.

bigkuntry72, hang in there. Pay attention and you'll eventually be able to identify just about everything. Watch them in flight, wing beats, size, wing position, habitat and how they fly...it'll all come together over time. It also helps to hunt with a veteran that can point out the little nuances of ducks.