It happened again!

duckht183

I was out training my dog this morning, and I was simulating a duck hunt by popping off a few 1 oz loads with my Franchi I-12 and having her retrieve some spoonies that I keep during the season...

Things were going good and then all of a sudden I heard a ping noise after I shot. So I glanced down at my bolt (because i've heard this sound before) and my bolt handle was gone... again!

So Benelli will be getting a phone call from me Monday morning

I assume this is at least the second bolt handle that has fallen out. If that’s the case, it’s probably the not the bolt handle that is the problem. It must be the bolt-receptacle for the handle that is not maintaining the proper amount of friction-grip. You might need a new bolt.

I’ve never experienced the problem you describe, so please post back to this thread when you get it fixed. That helps us learn. I dunno?

--Spike

I was out training my dog this morning, and I was simulating a duck hunt by popping off a few 1 oz loads with my Franchi I-12 and having her retrieve some spoonies that I keep during the season...

Things were going good and then all of a sudden I heard a ping noise after I shot. So I glanced down at my bolt (because i've heard this sound before) and my bolt handle was gone... again!

So Benelli will be getting a phone call from me Monday morning

Ive got to know, how old is is your I12?

Mine is 3 yrs old and has not had this problem, but the bolt seems to come out easier every time I clean it.

It might be that you are gaining debris or crud build-up inside the bolt handle’s insert (the space inside the hole in the bolt receiving the bolt handle’s shaft), crud on bolt handle’s shaft, or deformation of the bolt handle’s shaft.

The reason the bolt handle stays inside the bolt is based in a mechanical principle, specifically the “Morse Taper.”

The Morse taper, a precise 4 degree taper of the shaft on the bolt handle, produces a considerable amount of frictional retention between the bolt-handle’s shaft and the corresponding hole inside the bolt with the same taper.

Lateral forces won’t loosen the two pieces connected with Morse taper. That’s why the bolt handle won’t come loose when firing the gun (and while the bolt slides violently back and forth), and why wiggling the bolt handle does not loosen the bolt handle. To remove the bolt handle, you must pull straight out to overcome the friction fit of a Morse taper.

If the bolt handle’s shaft and the insert hole in the bolt are clean and have no debris or build-up, and there is no deformation; you can expect the bolt handle to remain in place, held there reliably by the Morse taper.

If the bolt handles loosens or falls out of the bolt (or even if the “… the bolt seems to come out easier every time I clean it.”), you are experiencing a failure of the fitment design (i.e., the Morse taper).

Hope this is helpful,

--Spike

Ive got to know, how old is is your I12? :confused:

Mine is 3 yrs old and has not had this problem, but the bolt seems to come out easier every time I clean it.

I've had mine for 3 1/2 years, I lost the first one mid-December of the 08-09 season when I had 3 mallards lock up on me. Last season I ran an 870 Super Mag, which worked well, but this year I went back to the I-12 and this morning I lost that bolt handle again!

Whenever I hunt with it I always check after I shoot but I didn't expect it to come out when I was shooting 1 oz #8's.

I keep my I-12 pretty damn clean for a duck gun so a build-up of dirt or anything shouldn't be an issue...

I dont really think a shotgun should be spotless in order for it to work properly but thats just me. I should be able to do anything to it and it should continue to work.

Edited by duckht183

It might be that you are gaining debris or crud build-up inside the bolt handle’s insert (the space inside the hole in the bolt receiving the bolt handle’s shaft), crud on bolt handle’s shaft, or deformation of the bolt handle’s shaft.

The reason the bolt handle stays inside the bolt is based in a mechanical principle, specifically the “Morse Taper.”

The Morse taper, a precise 4 degree taper of the shaft on the bolt handle, produces a considerable amount of frictional retention between the bolt-handle’s shaft and the corresponding hole inside the bolt with the same taper.

Lateral forces won’t loosen the two pieces connected with Morse taper. That’s why the bolt handle won’t come loose when firing the gun (and while the bolt slides violently back and forth), and why wiggling the bolt handle does not loosen the bolt handle. To remove the bolt handle, you must pull straight out to overcome the friction fit of a Morse taper.

If the bolt handle’s shaft and the insert hole in the bolt are clean and have no debris or build-up, and there is no deformation; you can expect the bolt handle to remain in place, held there reliably by the Morse taper.

If the bolt handles loosens or falls out of the bolt (or even if the “… the bolt seems to come out easier every time I clean it.”), you are experiencing a failure of the fitment design (i.e., the Morse taper).

Hope this is helpful,

--Spike

Thanks man, its wierd though because I know exactly what Scotty is talking about. Thats why I try not to mess with it too much.

I'll let you know what happens, i'm expecting benelli to send me a new one at no cost because I don't feel that I should pay for a manufactorer's mistake.

• 3 weeks later...

Kind of late to this discussion, but found it while researching a similar problem. I've got a Benelli m2 20 ga. and have lost several bolt handles.

I finally noticed that there was a bright mark in the receiver where the bolt handle was striking the inside of the receiver and was then forced out. Problem was that I was inserting the bolt handle in too far and it was protruding out the far side of the bolt, allowing it to hit the receiver and be jarred loose.

Have a look and see if you have a similar problem.

I would think that is a design flaw…

Kind of late to this discussion, but found it while researching a similar problem. I've got a Benelli m2 20 ga. and have lost several bolt handles.

I finally noticed that there was a bright mark in the receiver where the bolt handle was striking the inside of the receiver and was then forced out. Problem was that I was inserting the bolt handle in too far and it was protruding out the far side of the bolt, allowing it to hit the receiver and be jarred loose.

Have a look and see if you have a similar problem.

… since you should not be able to insert the bolt so that protrudes outside the inner bolt wall allowing it to rub against the receiver.

--Spike

• 3 weeks later...
I would think that is a design flaw…

… since you should not be able to insert the bolt so that protrudes outside the inner bolt wall allowing it to rub against the receiver.

--Spike

Spike,

I agree with you. I thought I had the problem solved, but lost another handle yesterday. This is getting expensive with those things costing $40 or so. Going to have to call Benelli on this one.

• 9 months later...

Did anyone get an answer from Benelli regarding this problem? I have an I-12 as well, and have the same problem with the bolt falling out. Lost it once in the field while pheasant hunting. Called Benelli and they treated me like I was completely crazy for suggesting such a thing would happen. I like the gun, but cant stand having to look at it after every shot to see if I still have a bolt handle.