Vinci shooting high and left

Nixstyx

Earlier this fall I became the happy new owner of a new Vinci. I would like everything about the gun, except that it doesn't shoot where I aim it. I've heard several people say their Benelli shoots high, which this gun does even with the thickest shim installed. I'm used to shotguns shooting high, and I actually prefer to see the target over the barrel anyway, but what I can't deal with is that my Vinci shoots too far left. I'm talking almost 12 inches left of where I am aiming at 40 yards, which makes it damn near impossible to hit a turkey with an x-full choke. Now it's not just me, others have shot it and found the same problem. More importantly the Vinci has a middle bead, and even when aligned with the front sight from a rest it is still off.

Anyone have this problem or know what would cause it? I've tried different chokes, and different brands of chokes with the same results. Like I said, I like the gun, but if it won't get the job done without a scope I won't be happy. Would Benelli take a look at this through warranty? I am the original owner.

Would Benelli take a look at this through warranty? I am the original owner.

I think they would, I seem to recall another member here having a similar issue and Benelli took it back and returned the gun in better order. That said it did take them a few weeks if I remember right.

Either way it would not hurt anything if you called/emailed customer support and see what they had to say.

Usually in a situation like this I'm blaming the shooter. Up and left a lot of times is anticipation of recoil. But since you say others are having the same results maybe that's not it. Maybe try working on your form and DEPRESSING of the trigger to be absolutely sure it's not shooter error before you send in your Benelli.

If you are seeing impact 12 inches left, the probable cause is canting. That is more likely if you see alignment on the front and mid bead, but still shoot to one side. Right-hand shooters usually cant the gun counter-clockwise, and the result is the impact point is left of the perceived alignment. It is very rare that a right handed shooter cants clockwise and shoots right of the target. Of course the opposite is true for left-handed shooters.

My expensive double-barrel S/S guns have an offset stock that prevents this (canting) when naturally mounting the gun. Canting is also less a problem with the short vertical height on a S/S’s fore-end than when shooting an O/U or an automatic gun that typically have a fore-end with greater vertical height.

Here is how you discover the problem and how you fix it: Put the full choke in your Vinci, stand below the high house on a skeet range, and shoot the target. With a full choke, you should “smoke” the clay target (it should almost disappear if you are aligned properly). If the clay pigeon isn’t completely obliterated (or if you actually miss the target), you know that your alignment isn’t correct, and you are probably shooting to the left of the target (if you are a right-handed shooter).

The fix is moving your head higher and more over the top of the stock. Doing this reduces the chance of canting and thus improves your alignment.

With this said, there are factors that can make a gun unsuitable. Our bodies vary (neck length, square shoulders vs. rounded shoulders, arm length, etc.), and that might require abandoning a gun that does not fit and moving on to something else. For example Browning shotguns do not work for me at all. I simply cannot mount the gun reliably and hit targets. Benelli guns fit me perfectly. So… I don’t own any Browning guns, but love Benelli.

Of course any gun can be made perfect by installing a custom stock with measurements corresponding to your body/build for offset, drop at comb, and trigger pull length. But, that’s expensive and requires custom fitting, and custom fitment isn’t available with all guns. You may just want to shop for an “off the self” gun that best fits you.

Hope this is helpful,

--Spike

Thanks for your feedback. I understand the reasoning for first blaming the shooter, and/or gun fit. I just don't think that is the problem. To be sure it wasn't my form I've shot the gun off a rest designed for rifles that keeps it perfectly square (no canting). FYI its a Caldwell Lead Sled. Next time I go out I'll take a level just to be sure. I placed my head over the stock and lined up the middle bead and front sight, just to see if things lined up, and I had the same problem that I was finding with my typical standing form. Up and left. I know that is not how you normally shoot a shotgun, but if the problem continues when the human factor is minimized then it is probably a gun problem. I refuse to believe it could be anticipation of recoil, again it is on a heavy rest, becuase in the same sitting I have shot much better with guns that kick harder. I'm squeezing the trigger and when the gun is on the rest I feel no recoil. It's not that the Vinci is inconnsistant, it is very consistantly off target to the left.

The rear sight on a shotgun used for wing shooting and clays is the position of your eye over the stock, aligning with the gun’s barrel. The middle bead is only there for practicing alignment. The best clay shooters never see the front bead or middle bead when shooting a target. It’s instinct and the proper mount that allow great wing shooting. If you look at the front bead when executing a shot, you probably tend to stop the gun, and in the case of a right-handed shooter, the miss is to the left side of the target for right-angle and straight-away flying targets.

It’s physically impossible for a shotgun to shoot left or right from a bench mount when it’s properly aligned. The only possible reason would be a bent barrel (not likely) or a barrel that is not seated (again, not likely).

A gun that shoots high or low is the result of the stock’s configuration (more or less drop), and you can easily correct this with Benelli guns by installing the shim that works best for YOU. I prefer a straighter stock (less drop that shoots higher) for trap, and a little more drop (shooting lower) for skeet. I like a stock with an adjustable insert (past just using shims which take time to change) for this reason when shooting clay targets.

When shooting upland game birds (pheasants, grouse, and woodcock), I have better results with a straighter stock (shooting higher) since the birds are rising. I have better results with less-drop when pass-shooting.

If you continue having a problem with a gun that shoots left of the target, it’s most likely fitment that interferes with alignment, and this may not be the gun best suited for your anatomy (your neck length, shoulder – square vs. sloping, or even your eye position relative to your skull). Of course this is corrected with a custom stock, but Benelli’s are relatively inexpensive guns making this not a realistic solution. If you want to shoot an “off-the-rack” gun, I would experiment and shoot other guns to discover what fits you best.

--Spike

So what I am hearing is that the middle bead serves no purpose? And if someone else were to shoot a differnt Vinci while lining up the middle bead with the front sight it would also shoot left? Doesn't make any sense to me.

I'm not worried so much about wing shooting. It is the resting turkey shot that I'm concerned about. That is a time that you DO have to AIM a shotgun. How am I suppoed to aim it if the sights don't tell me where the gun will shoot? I've shot pleanty of other shotguns with a middle and front bead without a problem and without an optic.

How would I check for a bent barrel or one that is not seated correctly?

Take the stock, and the front and mid bead, out of the equation. If the barrel is perfectly aligned with a stationary target, the only possible result is a hit. The shot goes straight down the barrel and keeps going straight once it leaves the barrel. The only thing that could change this is if the barrel is not straight (bent).

If you do aim a shotgun (as opposed to pointing the gun) as you might do when shooting a stationary or slow moving target, your rear sight is your head (eye) position in relation to the barrel. The mid-bead is only an alignment aid. It’s really not meant as an “aiming aid.” Think of it this way: You would never mount the rear sight on a rifle half the way down the barrel.

You said: I've shot [plenty] of other shotguns with a middle and front bead without a problem and without an optic.” I think that goes back to my point that this specific gun isn’t fitting you properly so that your alignment isn’t correct. That is not to say that it’s impossible to shoot a gun with dimensions that do not fit perfectly. This case requires adjusting head and hand positions slightly until the gun hits where you are pointing (or aiming when shooting the gun like a rifle).

--Spike

• 10 months later...

I have a question for you then spike100, I bought a new super vinci 2 to 3 weeks ago and myself along with my friend who runs the trap/skeet range frequently and shoots well, shoot my new gun about 90/10 or even a tad higher with the lowest drop shim in place(the 65mm). The pattern is not left or right at all but unreasonably high for my liking. What do I do now? I like the gun but don't know what to do next got any tips? I had bought a sbe2 and took it back due to blisters in the finish, Got the second one thanks to cabelas wanting to make everyone happy and had a very loose forend. I sent the gun to benelli got it back the forend was tight for about a dozen dove loads and then it was right back the way it was before I sent it out. Thanks to cabelas great customer service (me having not been satisfied with benelli and the poor attempt to fix the gun) exchanged it for me I decided to try a different gun. Now I have the super vinci and love the gun but dont like the high pattern. And I have shot many different shells through the gun and all are alike. So im stumped.:confused: Any advice what to try??????

• 1 month later...

My new vinci shoots left and a bit high. Is there a fix other than having a custom choke made? Benelli customer service told me that according to their test data on file, the vinci indeed shoots left and high. Very frustrating...

CR

I had a Benelli SBEII in the past that was like that. I couldnt hit my A@# with rice. I patterned the gun and it was way off. I sent it back to benelli and they repaired? replaced the barrell. Gun shot where i was looking after that. Id did take awhile to get it back, three weeks i think. Benelli test fires every gun before it leaves the factory, some people think this is to make sure it is on target. Its not, its to make sure the gun is working properly. Benelli will take care of it. Here is what I did. I put a full choke in and patterned my gun at 40 yards, I sent the patterns with the gun so they had a starting point to go off of. When they sent my gun back they sent me the pattern papers they used after the fix. I went back out to pattern again and it was dead on with what they did.

I had the same problem with a SBE ll. It shot 16'' above POA. I sent it back, with a target that I had shot. They fixed it and returned it with a target that they shot. It was dead nuts after I got it back. Something was wrong with the gun, period. I bought a SBE l years ago for turkey hunting only. It shot 12'' low and 12'' right. I put a red dot scope on it, so it didn't matter. The point is they do come out of the factory not shooting where they are pointed. It is not all pilot error. I have been shooting all my life, I'm 58 years old, and pretty much know how to handle a shotgun. I have a Vinci that shoots 4-6'' high, as well. I can live with that, barely..It is for sale..I also have 2 Legacy's, (12 and 20), a Super Nova and a Nova that all shoot where you point them. So it can be done..Drives me crazy. Make them all shoot to POA and shim if you want the POI to raise..Then everyboody's happy..Mike

• 9 months later...

anyone have ny new info on this thread? I have a new Vinci and at the pattern board shoots high and to the left. I shot my rizzini to see if it was me and the rizzini was dead on. I have been reading that benellis shoot high. My m4 is dead on. Shooting to the left bothers me more than too high.

• 1 year later...

Interesting to be reading this. After last year’s horrid hunting season, blaming myself, I decided to mount a reflex sight on my Vinci this season. I spent a very frustrating day at the range yesterday. Shooting various brands and sizes of shells through all the chokes I have and neither I nor my friend could get a centered pattern. Everything was high and left, and we ran out of adjustment range on the red dot sight. I am not blaming myself anymore.

I talked with Benelli about it yesterday. They did say it was not unheard of and to indeed send it back. They also quoted a 5 week repair time. Add in a couple of weeks of transit time, and the fee I’ll pay a gun shop to deal with sending it back to Mass. Turkey season is only three weeks away, and I do not want to miss it. My decision is to dump the beast and start over.

Yes I do not have the time to waste on it. I will go back to the shop where it came from, tell them what Benelli told me to do with it and let them deal with it and I’ll be taking a big hit on what it cost vs. what they will give me on it too. If Benelli was an upfront company they would put out a recall on a gun they admit to having problems with. Instead they are waiting for people to wonder if it is the gun or their poor shoot that is causing them to miss. Betting that most people do not take the time to pattern a gun to discover it is the gun and not them and then only having to deal with people who do is the sure sign of a company I would rather not deal with again.