any ideas on SBE2 cycle problem

bpgast

Having problems cycling pheasant hunting and now duck hunting. All loads from heavy 2 3/4 (1 1/2 oz shot kents) to 3 1/2. Took apart recoil spring and completely cleaned gun.

Gun had cycling problems in first year when it got really cold and I switched to G96 gun oil and haven't had any problems until now.

Any ideas, gun only 3 years old?

Thanks in advance.

I would say normal to less then normal. Primarly use for hunting (duck, goose, pheasant, turkey). Will shoot sporting clays maybe once a year.

Maybe 10- 12 boxes a year. 2 pheasant hunting, 2 sporting clays, 1-3 shells turkey, and 6-8 boxes duck and goose.

Also 2 boxes this year dove hunting.

Felt like it may be catching in the trigger assembly, so completely cleaned with gun scrubber and reoiled littly with G96. Did feel a little smoother, but will not get out until this weekend.

Read a couple other post and cleaned the magazine and stretched the spring to help with feeding.

Does seem to happen only when it is cold, so ordered the Wolf xp recoil spring.

Will let you know if it makes it better. Spring will not be in until after this weekend, so should know if it was the trigger assemble or spring.

Figured the spring couldn't hurt as I shoot mainly heavy loads.

Hunted saturday, wasn't as cold but gun function much better. Eat through every shell that hung up last time. Must have had something gummed up in the trigger assemble. Will see what happens when it really cold again, but could tell gun functioning very smooth again.

Spring replacement is sometimes very obvious yet sometimes very subtle. Quite often years of service do not effect recoil spring replacement tolerances. My original imported Montefeltro lasted more that 10 years before I even accessed the recoil tube assembly. The Recoil Tube assembly on the original Montefeltro did not even have a recoil tube fitted nut to remove the screw from the back of the recoil spring tube.

I have also replaced M1 springs after 1 year, on two in line serial number guns. Most of the end of year Benelli I work on I just replace the recoil spring, they are very inexpensive and Benelli functionality is very important to the Benelli brand which is aligns directly with my reputation.

On my personal Benelli's I know to replace spring when I shoot directly overhead on cold days and the bolt does not lock. This is done with a Benelli that has been refreshed with proper lube on the rails. Your inertia system will be challenged not only by the cold weather but also the force of gravity that the bolt assembly will face as it travels against the force of gravity while cycling forward just before it ejects the spent shell.