Recoil of SxS vs Benelli M2

crazyhair

Is there a noticable difference in recoil between a SxS weighing the same as an M2?

And what if the SxS weights 1 lb more?

if there is no felt recoil reduction, should I think about a gas operated shotgun for high volume?

I don't mind the recoil of a SxS when firing 75 shots, but it would be nicer with less recoil.

I have never fired an autoloader.

Thanks

The Benelli Autoloaders are the fastest functioning of all the auto loaders, although not the softest. They shoot more like an o/u or sxs than any other. I"ve tried them all and the Benelli is the best by far. Try and compare and I"d be very surprised if you go with anything else.--GB

crazyhair,

Let me ask you a few questions, in order to help you figure out which gun you want to buy...

1. How old are you?

2. How much shotgunning experience do you have?

3. What is your height, weight, and general physical condition?

4. What do you plan on doing with your new shotgun?

Do you own any other firearms? If so, what are they?

You are nearly to the point of obsessing with recoil. If you are bothered by it that much you should consider a 20 ga. or maybe even a 28.

You can't just comparatively "rate" the recoil of guns like that. actual recoil and felt recoil are different things. a gun that punches recoil will fatigue you more quickly than one that pushes recoil over a longer stroke. The inertia driven guns tend to push recoil and although the forces may be equal in displaced energy, the feel will be different and less severe.

I understand your wanting to find out all you can about these various weapons before making the investment, but at some point, you have to narrow your focus and decide WTF you want.

You say you shoot a lot of trap. Go to the range and ask other shooters to let you try a few rounds through their various weapons. Go to the gun shops and shoulder different guns. Leave the keyboard and go TEST DRIVE something!

Originally posted by Golden Bear:

The Benelli Autoloaders are the fastest functioning of all the auto loaders, although not the softest. They shoot more like an o/u or sxs than any other. I"ve tried them all and the Benelli is the best by far. Try and compare and I"d be very surprised if you go with anything else.--GB

Golden Bear ..FYI - VERY INCORRECT! they aren't even second fastest.. the Winchester Super X-2 is then followed by the ancient Browning A-5..

cyclic rate of the Benelli autos is considerably slower in terms of the #'s .. ;)

Originally posted by crazyhair:

Its just a simple question really..

Is the Benelli noticably softer compared to a SxS or pump?

No.

In fact they will make you wish you never owned one.

I can't tell you how many times, after clearing the sky of canada geese, I've wished I still had my 2.75" 870 right-handed (wrong-for-me) pump back. I mean, sure I didn't do anything but pluck a few feathers with that old pump, but my shoulder felt great at night! And after all, that's really what it's all about, isn't it?

Never mind that I easily get off a second shot while staying on target, because I don't have to turn my body to a proper geometric alignment in order to work the slide action of the 870.

In fact, I think my forearms are beginning to atrophy from the lack of exercise. I guess I'll have buy a membership to the gym now, so that will even add more to the mounting costs already encountered through the purchase of the over-priced Super Black Eagle II, those big old mean 3.5" shells, and more freezer bags than I ever imagined I'd need.

It's and endless spiral. Now I can't even re-use the few clays I shoot, because my Benelli keeps breaking them into little pieces.-

With that old 870, I used to be able to pick up a few and shoot at them again.

There are other cons, which other people may not even readily recognize. I'm spending a lot of time and cash on frivilous things like booking guided duck and goose hunts, because I'm hopelessly addicted to the way my SBEII brings 'em down.

Of course, this also adds even more punishment to my already abused shoulder, and I'm sure I'll need costly medical attention for that one day.

Christ, crazyhair!

You've made me realize the error of my ways!

I'm gonna go to the shop tomorrow and see if they'll take my SBE and maybe $200 cash for a circa 1974 Savage Stevens double barrell!

How can I ever thank you?!

[ 03-05-2005, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

"Your" = belonging to you.

You're = you are.

Your having picked up on my sarcasm gives me hope that you're not the 13 year old kid wishing for a Benelli that I'd thought you were.

Look,

I'm just trying to make the simple point that you yourself just made; recoil is perceived differently by different people under different circumstances.

Benelli provides actual scientific data on this site regarding how much the ComforTech system reduces felt recoil. Other than that, you're just going to have to get your hands on one and shoot it for yourself.

Being 5'7" indicates you're a fairly small-framed individual. Chances are good that you're going to feel the kick of the Benelli moreso than people of larger stature.

Benellis are lightweight shotguns, so there is already less weight in the gun to reduce the effects of recoil.

When I first got my SBEII, I went out and shot it at a target to pattern it. I thought the recoil was tremendous, and I wondered if I'd made a mistake in buying the gun. But when I took her duck hunting, I was pulling down mallards like never before, and the recoil wasn't even noticed.

You have asked just about every conceivable question about the recoil of the Benellis, and you've been given good information, yet you persist to want to know whether or not the Benelli is right for you.

Definitively, I am saying right here and right now, the Benelli shotgun is NOT designed for you and that you should not purchase one. Your expectations exceed the abilities of the gun to deliver them to you. You will buy one, and then return to this forum with all kinds of negative comments and more ridiculous questions, trying to make the gun something it can't be.

Here are some links to help you get on your way to happiness:

http://www.remington.com

http://www.mossberg.com

http://www.winchesterguns.com

http://www.charlesdaly.com

http://www.ithacagun.com

[ 03-06-2005, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

391. YES!

That's your gun!

Buy one. Buy two. One for each hand.

They don't kick at all.

In fact, I saw a guy at the range the other day; he had his toddler with him. Poor thing was born with one arm too.

That kid, small for a three year old, was swatting clays like a pro with that 391. I'm not kidding!!

He didn't even wear a shirt. I couldn't see a bruise or even a chafe.

WOW!

391 is da bomb!

Please buy one!

:D :D :D :D

Crazyhair,

It is understandable that you want to get a good idea about the recoil of the sbeII before you spend that kind of money. I asked the same questions on this forum before. I have owned a rem. 870, a savage single shot 16 and now own a browning gold hunter. I really enjoy the hunter but wanted a new 3.5 turkey gun. I was about to buy a sbeII when I started reading the posts on hear about recoil. I am still interested in one if I can find one. However I don't think that you or I will really find out the recoil until shooting one. Unfortunately, I do not know anyone who has one. The comments about switching to a 20 guage are unfair. I've shot 12 g forever. The 870 had a kick with 3"...although not horrible. The Browning gold is pretty soft (in my opinion) even with 3" shells. I shot a friend's older mossberg with a stiff recoil pad one time and had to go pick up my shoulder. I will never shoot that gun again. From all of the posts that I've read the benelli should probably kick a little more than some of the gas guns. The only way to know for sure is to shoot one.

An idea about recoil?!

No sir. He wants to know EXACTLY how many millimeters his shoulder will flex while shooting light trap loads through a Nova, Cordoba, SBEII, SS, SSII, 391, M2, M1, and Montefeltro.

I can't, for the life of me, figure why Benelli hasn't added recoil charts to the web site, based on such variables as size, weight, barometric pressure, heat, humidity, and what you had for lunch.

SLOUCHES!

Crazyhair,

Let me jump in here and relate my initial experience with a 12 Ga. shotgun (Wingmaster w/ 30" barrel). Like you, I was concerned about the recoil of a shotgun, never mind the gauge.

In my first duck hunt, I nearly fell into the water (from the blind we were shooting). This was partly caused by the recoil but mostly by my inexperience with shotguns. I've been shooting handguns mostly.

After many more years of hunting, I don't even hear the shot nor feel the recoil of 3" magnums from my M1 Field.

What am I saying? Once you get use to shooting a shotgun, you don't worry too much about recoils. Just enjoy your time out there.

Hope I made sense to you. Tucker really explained it to you in more detail.

Happy shooting!

D70

Originally posted by crazyhair:

dude, the question was, was it noticably less, compared to a SxS or pump gun.

Heres your chart they made,

comfortech-recoil-chart.gif