Off Topic, Knives?

CWP147

Assuming most of you out there are not only avid shooters, but hunters as well. And along with the fun part of sitting and waiting and enjoying nature comes the work along with it. When things get a little messy, what gear do you reach for?

Any specific knife you favor over any other to clean your game? If so, what is it? I'm just a little curious about the different things people use to do the same job. While some people use their everyday pocket knives, others will go out and spend literally hundreds on one or two knifes and both do the same job. **** I even know a guy that likes to use a machete. :eek::confused:

Personally, I have an Outdoor Edge knife set (that I really like BTW) and a Wyoming Saw II (which is also very, very nice). And just for nostalgic reasons, I like to carry my grandfathers Buck 112 with me and use it every now and then. So what do you like to use and why?

I use a Old timer stockman to gut and skin some parts of the deer. For Skinning deer.cleaning upland game, and turkey I use a old timer sharpfinger. I have many knives but these 2 knives serve me the best for the jobs. Both sharpen easy, hold a good edge, all 4 blades (3 on the stockman,1 on the sharpfinger) are full flat ground blades and there about 35 buck for the pair. I don't like spending tons of money on equipment in the field that could get ruined or lost.

EDC is a different story. I carry a Sypderco Endura 4 zdp-189 and the stockman. I also keep a Cold steel 8'' recon tanto in the truck mostly for use of a paper weight to hold all my hunting tags and papers down.

P.S. Since we are on the topic. I know Benelli doesn't make knives. ( I haven't seen one anyway) I knife section or a sub forum in the big game section would be cool. Just a thought. What does everyone else thing??

Sounds like a decent idea, it would have kept me from posting an off topic topic here :rolleyes: :p

As for your choice of knives, how do you like that Cold Steel? I've read some interesting reviews of Cold Steel products, people using them as pry bars and such with no damage at all, some really unbelievable stuff. Do you think the quality is up there with these kinds of reviews and stories I've read, or is it just that, a story? It has me interested, but not sold on a Cold Steel.

Sounds like a decent idea, it would have kept me from posting an off topic topic here :rolleyes: :p

As for your choice of knives, how do you like that Cold Steel? I've read some interesting reviews of Cold Steel products, people using them as pry bars and such with no damage at all, some really unbelievable stuff. Do you think the quality is up there with these kinds of reviews and stories I've read, or is it just that, a story? It has me interested, but not sold on a Cold Steel.

Mine is about 15 years old and yes I've used mine as a pry bar, cut limbs, small sapplings and other cool things.

I can't speak for cold steel now because mine was made with carbon V steel and made in the USA. 4 years ago they move everything overseas.

I have a Becker BK2 with some canvas micarta scales on it. Good bush knife.

I want to pick up a ESEE Junglas, and Izula2 one of these days...

My Becker.

DSCN8132%20(Large).JPG

Been thinking about stripping off the coating since its coming off anyway with hard use, and forcing a patina on it.

Edited by Decodence

• 1 month later...

Gotta' give a shout out for the Benchmade Rukus Full size for an all around outdoorsman knife. Big, beefy, folder, that works like a fixed blade. In fact, I sold all my fixed blades when I started using my Rukus 615. They are discontinued now so get them while you can.

One more plug, best deals and service I have found in my knife collecting is www.knifeworks.com Roger is the man!