2010 Upland Game Picture Upload Thread… Post your pics

Spike100

I’ll start it out with a picture of a French Brittany retrieving a pheasant. Ree is a female and a champion dog imported from France by Plum Creek Kennels. Ree is 9 years old and a retiree from Plum Creek Kennels, but she hunts and retrieves with the enthusiasm and energy of a 4 year-old dog.

Plum Creek Kennels consistently produces the best Brittany dogs available anywhere in the world (they truly have an international reputation). Check their website (http://french-brittany.com/) to see the impressive accomplishments competing in trials in both the USA and France.

ReeRetrieve.jpg

This pheasant was killed with a very long shot from a Benelli Montefeltro 12 gauge. It took two precise hits (#6 shot in the chamber followed by a #4 loaded from the magazine) to bring the bird down.

Ree did a long retrieve, and the picture shows her returning the bird on the run. That’s fun stuff!

--Spike

I have nothing to add right now. I'm in Africa. Which is killing me because I really want to be out pheasant hunting.

However, next fall (which for me starts some time in March) I plan to go out and do some upland game bird hunting.

They hunt pigeons, dove, a bird called the francolin (looks like a small hen pheasant without long tail feathers) and guinea fowl.

Good looking bird, and a dog to boast about too!:cool:

Congrats.

Thanks for kind words.

There is a back story here. The dog actually belongs to my Dad. My Mom passed away last August from Alzheimer's disease leaving my Dad alone and lonely. He provided all her care. The funeral was on their wedding anniversary if you can believe such a thing. Dad’s beloved American Brittany Spaniel also died about the same time making things even worse.

The owners at Plum Creek Kennels kindly provided Dad with Ree (one of their retired females). The fit was perfect for everyone. Dad got a great dog (she’s a 24/7 companion for him), the kennel found a wonderful home for a retired dog, and Ree gets to be with a master who loves her and she now lives indoors and goes everywhere with my Dad.

I’ve hunted birds for over 50 years, and I’ve owned some very good pointers that I’ve run in trials. But, Ree is better than any dog I’ve owned or hunted over. It’s really fun to work with such an exceptional bird dog. I’m very impressed with the quality of the French Brittany dog coming out Plum Creek Kennels.

--Spike

I have nothing to add right now. I'm in Africa. Which is killing me because I really want to be out pheasant hunting.

However, next fall (which for me starts some time in March) I plan to go out and do some upland game bird hunting.

They hunt pigeons, dove, a bird called the francolin (looks like a small hen pheasant without long tail feathers) and guinea fowl.

Love to see some photo's from your African safari's!!

Love to see some photo's from your African safari's!!

…Same here. It would be fun to see some African pictures.

The photo safaris and hunting large game is done from camps, and you often fly in a small plane to get there and go from camp to camp.

Bird hunting is often from a railroad train (a close metaphor is Robert Conrad’s transportation in the TV series the Wild Wild West) that takes you to various areas where you shoot, and then move on by the same train to the next shooting area.

--Spike