m4 side saddles: 3gungear or sidearmor

yallknowho

Side Armor. You'll have to replace your crappy M4 rail with the better Side Armor rail that it comes with. Once that new rail(s) is on there you can remove the shellholder from it's own rail very easily and quickly if you don't want it on at the time. This thing is solid, looks awsome, high quality, the shells fit nice and snug and it's worth the money.

That 3gungear one you're looking at looks like a piece of junk and if I ever put that on my M4 I would probably (accidentally) shoot myself in a terrible shooting accident. You can save the extra $ and put junk on your gun but that's not what that beauty of a gun is all about now is it? :)

why is the Sidearmor better than the Mesa tactical. I was leaning towards Mesa.

The ball detent holds the rounds better, and more options for the sidearmor. Forward picatinny, forward shell holders, rock solid. I had the Mesa side saddle and was not that impressed. Sidearmor Very impressive. Believe me, I did not want to spend that much money on a rail system and now I would not hesitate to put it on a second one if I decide to get one.

3GunGear all the way. EXTREMELY high quality product. This ain't a cheaply sewn piece of nylon. We're talking extremely heavy duty stitching here. That's why they cost what they do. The weight savings and modularity is what I love about them. Couple that with the ability to use a CarrierComp picatinny rail if you so choose and you're set. Below is the 8 shell Benelli M4 model with the specific instruction "no forward receiver loop". Works like a charm.

saddle.jpg

3GunGear all the way. EXTREMELY high quality product. This ain't a cheaply sewn piece of nylon. We're talking extremely heavy duty stitching here. That's why they cost what they do. The weight savings and modularity is what I love about them. Couple that with the ability to use a CarrierComp picatinny rail if you so choose and you're set. Below is the 8 shell Benelli M4 model with the specific instruction "no forward receiver loop". Works like a charm.

saddle.jpg

You copied Travis...........you copied Travis........na na na na na............na na na na na............:p

saddle.jpg

how does it attach ? is it elestic and if so wont that stretch and loose tension over time?

I think it's a 2 piece system where one side of the velcro sticks to the receiver via adhesive. Not something I'm too excited about although I can see, and appreciate, the functionality of the product. Yes, at some point the elastic would wear and loosen but my guess is that it would last a good while before that happens. Then you just buy another. I personally prefer my Sidearmor short rail system but the 3 gun product beats anything in the weight dept. hands down.

Just my opinion but the elastic shellholder is lame. It seems obvious to me that I would not want elasticity in something like that, I would want rock solid so my shell is where it should be and comes out easily each and every time without any stubbornness. I want to be able to load shells into the holder easily with one hand and not need the other hand to HELP the thing in there. The weight savings are there but not enough to sacrifice the rigidity and consistency. It also bothers me that Santa was about to cancel Christmas because of some bad weather. He was actually gonna let all those kids down because of some snow. Good thing Rudolf was there with his incandescent nose.

Just my opinion but the elastic shellholder is lame. It seems obvious to me that I would not want elasticity in something like that, I would want rock solid so my shell is where it should be and comes out easily each and every time without any stubbornness. I want to be able to load shells into the holder easily with one hand and not need the other hand to HELP the thing in there. The weight savings are there but not enough to sacrifice the rigidity and consistency.

;) Depends on what you want to do, again the M4 is different than the guns this was originally designed for, but your statement does address one of the common conflicts of current EBR/EBS owners.

Railage and uberclamps are great (properly made ones, that is) but they not infrequently have the effect of turning the weapon into a area-dispersal, crew-served affair, pushing 15-20# in weight. This is true of ARs, HKs/CETMEs, AKs, the whole gamut. Not everyone puts a VFG, light/laser, strobe, IR lamp, IR designator and cherry picker on the front- but many do.

For a "social shotty"(civilian), rigidity is not a concern, in context, and 3 GunGear is at the top of the pile for the nylon carriers. Consistency is certainly not a problem; if it were, they would not be popular with the group that buys the majority of produced units. If I were harumping the hills of Afghanistan, and the shell carrier also provided some crush-protection for my receiver, maybe...

Sidearmor makes a fine product, by all reports and appearance- I haven't handled one. OTOH, I'm not interested in "heavy" weapons, anymore. A good portion of 3 gun competition holsters, carriers, etc., are "to the game," but the shell carrier is not. The Sidearmor product would not suit my needs at all (not an M4 owner), but that doesn't make it "lame."

Sophistication implies the ability to evaluate validity using concrete parameters within varying perceptual frameworks.:cool:

how does it attach ? is it elestic and if so wont that stretch and loose tension over time?

The peel-off adhesive panel is like no other I've ever seen. The company has been making these for many years and their adhesive technology is amazing. They make these for the DOD and numerous other LE/GOVT agencies so they definitely have their act together. I'm sure the adhesive can be removed but you'll probably need some GooGone and elbow grease to do it. I've never actually had to replace one of the receiver side velcro panels before though--they last! The elastic loops aren't standard elastic. They're super heavy-duty, are reinforced, and have some kind of lining on the inside that grips the shells. It's hard to describe in any way other than "extremely heavy-duty".

Just my opinion but the elastic shellholder is lame. It seems obvious to me that I would not want elasticity in something like that, I would want rock solid so my shell is where it should be and comes out easily each and every time without any stubbornness. I want to be able to load shells into the holder easily with one hand and not need the other hand to HELP the thing in there. The weight savings are there but not enough to sacrifice the rigidity and consistency.

Are you basing your opinion on experience with this product or pure conjecture? Like I said, 3GunGear side saddles are not made from standard elastic. I'm assuming that you've never owned one or you would know this. It's extremely heavy-duty reinforced elastic that holds the shells in there "rock solid" while still allowing them to move a little as the gun recoils. While the Sidearmor model may not have this problem, many side saddles tend to drop shells if not fully loaded as the gun recoils due to insufficient retention. This is not a problem with the 3GunGear model.

One negative side effect that you did touch on is that it's somewhat difficult to load shells back into the 3GunGear side saddle. But this really isn't an issue if you understand how the product is meant to be used. The tear-off aspect of it is such that you can have additional shell cards stowed elsewhere on your person and once you have emptied the side saddle, you simply tear it off and slap a new one on. That will be faster than topping off ANY side saddle shell by shell. So it's actually a much faster system of ammo readiness than a traditional side saddle affords, which is just one more reason why I like it so much.

Don't knock it till you tried it.

Are you basing your opinion on experience with this product or pure conjecture? Like I said, 3GunGear side saddles are not made from standard elastic. I'm assuming that you've never owned one or you would know this. It's extremely heavy-duty reinforced elastic that holds the shells in there "rock solid" while still allowing them to move a little as the gun recoils. While the Sidearmor model may not have this problem, many side saddles tend to drop shells if not fully loaded as the gun recoils due to insufficient retention. This is not a problem with the 3GunGear model.

Don't knock it till you tried it.

Absolutely. I was knocking it and I never tried it. I don't like them. They're not what I'm looking for in a shellholder and I think they're lame. That's my opinion and I'm velcroing to it. If somebody wasn't asking for opinions then I probably would have kept it to myself but I can't promise that.:)

Edited by Super33