SBE2 misfiring?

pod

Hello all I am new to the forum and also a new proud owner of a SBE2.

I shot about 50 rounds of shot shooting clays out of the bird bbl. I now finally got my rifled slug bbl and have shot several different shells out of it. Federals, winchesters and hornady. Last week I had a few 2nd shot misfires when I was mainly shooting the winchester shells. Today I ran through 5 boxes of the hornady sst slugs and had the same issue happen consistantly.

I would load the gun with 2 shells. The first shot would always go off fine. The second shell would get loaded fine, but I would just hear a click when pulling the trigger. I would then eject the shell and the firing pin never hit the primer. I could then load this same shell into the chamber and it would fire just fine.

Can anyone tell me what is going on, or what I am doing wrong that is causing the misfires. As I mentioned this is a brand new gun, I have ran about 20 boxes of slug shells through it.

This is a prevailant issue with the SBE and SBEII.

I have the same problem on occasion. From what I understand the rotating head is not rotating all the way around. Try this to see what I'm talking about. Work the action slowly not letting the bolt assembly slam shut. Now look were the ejector (black hook thingy) is. Now pull it back about 1/2 way and let it go. The head should rotate counter clockwise about 1/4 in more. This is the ready position.

I don't know if fireing a few boxes of heavy loads will help this problem or not.

Let's try using real words smile.gif

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=prevalent

I think user error is much more prevalent theory.

Maybe a bad/dirty recoil spring?

Maybe a dry/dirty rotary bolt head assembly?

I've shot maybe 500 full power slugs/sabots at the range and in the field with nary a hiccup.

Call Benelli CS if the problem persists...

mudhen - CA

yes, i am starting to think the head is not rotating and locking correctly. I am really surprised to be seeing this type of issue so early on with this gun. well see what happens and i will let you know.

I am thinking this purchase might have been a big mistake. Bumping the bolt can make it not want to fire, everyone with their misfire problems etc. arrrrgggg

[ 11-13-2006, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: pod ]

UPDATE......

The gun smith got a chance to look at my SBEII and he verified the problem. He then contacted Benelli and CS told him that they recently switched vendors for the slug barrels and that they have had some quality issues which causes the rotating bolt not to properly close all of the way. This is what is causing my issue. I was given a RMA and told to send the gun in.

This really sucks as i ordered the SBEII and slug barrell July 06, and just got the slug barrell 2 1/2 weeks ago, and now slug season starts the monday after thanksgiving. :(

• 4 weeks later...

Benelli switched vendors for their slug barrels too??? I'll bet that they are trying to use the same vendor that Stoeger is trying to use. To make a very, very long story short, I used to have a Stoeger M2000. Their vendor was so unreliable, Stoeger bought the gun back. I still don't know if Stoeger is selling any slug barrels for the M2000.

I bought an SBEII with a slug barrel in the spring of '06 and didn't have any problems with cycling shells. Did your gun smith say when Benelli switched vendors?

I'm not exactly sure what my brother just got, but I'm thinking it's the SBEII. he went out huntin' this weekend with a friend of his and had 3 shells in. he fired the first shot and it was fine, hit the trigger for the second shot and the shell didn't fire or eject. we went to manually eject it and the firing pin hit the shell again and it exploded on it's way out of the gun!!!!! with this problem being a "known issue", this darn gun could've easily killed him or the guy he was hunting with! not a big fan of Benelli right now

My son recently purchased an SBEII. On a hunt last week, the gun would not fire a number of times. In each case, there was a shell in the chamber and, despite flipping the safety on and off several times, it would not fire. He completely unloaded the chamber and the magazine and then reloaded. It then fired the shell in the chamber but would not fire again. Pls advise.

• 3 months later...

Phiber101, just a rule of thumb here, anytime you have a misfire wait one minute before you eject the shell from the chamber. By the way more often than not when you have a primer that has been struck yet it does not fire immediately you have a primer/powder problem. It does not necessarily mean that it is a gun problem.

The point of my reply was to educate those who have no idea they should wait before jacking the round out of the chamber after a misfire. A little safety knowledge never hurt anyone. Not everyone in this forum has the experience with firearms to know that tidbit of information.

Good point and people need to handle their ammo with more care which majority do, but ya got those few that could care less where the round came from and how it has been handled and i feel majority of those rounds have been misstreated which is a recipe for a missfire! On occasion ya get bad powder but manufacturers keep their eyes open for this and test when needed!!