hk sbe recoil spring needed

tierhog

After 10 years of constant use and regular maintence my sbe quit closing strong in cold weather. Acting on the good advice of some members I bought a wolf +25% replacement. In fact I bought an extra while I was at it. Turns out my gun will only cycle extra heavy loads now. I was wondering if anyone would like to either trade me one of my new ones for a factory standard or does anyone have a factory standard for sale?

You can purchase either @ Brownell. I would be interested to hear why you don't like the Wolff spring. The Wolff spring will not cycle 7/8oz low brass shells, aside from that they have outperformed factory spring. I have replaced factory spring in M1's with consecutive serial numbers after 1 year.

The original spring that was used in the Montefeltro performed very well, this was prior to the intro of the SBE.

I contacted brownells prior to posting. The only spring the have available is the wolf+25% they used to carry a wolf -25% and until recently benelli supplied the factory standard. Well benelli recently discontinued the hk sbe sping. I contacted wolf and they are going to begin work on a factory standard spring. Apparently our problem is common. I am not bad talking wolf springs they obviously recognized that the factory standard was not sufficient for every gun. Nor was it necessary for others. That is why they covered the bases of stronger and weaker than the factory standard. My gun likes the factory standard. I shoot federal 1/1/8 max dram lead eights every Tuesday and have for many years. When I put the wolf spring in was the first time my clean and well maintained would not cycle them. It does a good job of closing on 3.5 waterfowl loads which is why I changed in the first place. But it worked great from new to this year. I personally wouldn't mind changing to a new spring yearly if it makes the difference. I paid enough for my shotguns I don't mind maintaining them. I just want it to do what I do. So the question remains where do I find a factory spring? For hk sbe

• 3 months later...
Perhaps Sure Cycle would sell you just the spring from the Sure Cycle Kit. I have use the Sure Cycle Magazine Spring kit and found this kit to be a improvement over the factory parts that they are replacing.

Remarkable,

I am trying to get up to 15 posts to PM you. can you PM me your email address? (@usfamily.net from a post in '06 isn't working)

I was wondering if I find the +25% spring not able to cycle 1-1/8 brass if I can use a wire cutter to snip a couple turns off of it on the nut end.

Thanks

BeeFCaKe

I was wondering if I find the +25% spring not able to cycle 1-1/8 brass if I can use a wire cutter to snip a couple turns off of it on the nut end.

Thanks

BeeFCaKe

I think that might work. Worst case, you ruin a $10-$12 spring.

Btw, the +25% Wolff is a beast of a spring. Even some of my 3" turkey loads won't always cycle :) Of course, they are 3" H-13, so you never really know how much powder EM uses on a given day, depends on their mood I think...

I think that might work. Worst case, you ruin a $10-$12 spring.

Btw, the +25% Wolff is a beast of a spring. Even some of my 3" turkey loads won't always cycle :) Of course, they are 3" H-13, so you never really know how much powder EM uses on a given day, depends on their mood I think...

I was more concerned with ruining something in the tube - but my guess is it won't make that much of a difference. Maybe I can get it brazed to make a nice loop..

I was more concerned with ruining something in the tube - but my guess is it won't make that much of a difference. Maybe I can get it brazed to make a nice loop..

Probably a non-issue if you put the clipped end against the retaining nut. Brazing would be nice. A little Dremel work could clean it up too...