Need Turkey Choke

pipes51

I just posted this in the thread above but might as well post it hear also.

http://www.nitrocompany.com/

go to that website and it will tell you what type of choke and ammo to buy for your gun. Its amazing stuff, but it is expensive, and can be hard to find. Its worth every penny considering i might only shoot 4 or 5 rounds in a year. I use it in my vinci and SBE. Cant tell any difference in the patterning really. I have a jelly-head in the SBE and rhino choke in the Vinci.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had good luck with my jelly head choke in my 870. I would say all the chokes mentioned are good chokes. I also would consider pure gold. You might want to look at oldgobbler.com. It's a good turkey hunting sight and has alot of good info (this is a great site too). By the way I'm shooting H-13 31/2 #7s with my jelly head and getting 300 pellets in a 10" circle at 40yards.

You might consider contacting Rob Roberts at gobblerguns.com

His company does the Benelli modifications for their Performance Shop SBE II Turkey Guns.

Took my M4 to him last week for the "forcing cone" modification and to be patterned for the best choke/shell combination. The results are beyond belief...260 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards using 3" 1-3/4oz Hevi-Shot 13 with mixture of 7.5 & 8 shot loads using his choke.

FinalStrut.jpg

Edited by Tranz

You might consider contacting Rob Roberts at gobblerguns.com

His company does the Benelli modifications for their Performance Shop SBE II Turkey Guns.

Took my M4 to him last week for the "forcing cone" modification and to be patterned for the best choke/shell combination. The results are beyond belief...260 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards using 3" 1-3/4oz Hevi-Shot 13 #6 loads using his choke.

I thought Briley did all the work on there turkey guns.

According to the Benelli website; Partnered with world-renowned gunsmiths like Briley Mfg and Rob Roberts Custom Gunworks. Rob (Gobbler Guns) does all the turkey guns and Briley does the rest. Guess we were both right!! :)

Edited by Tranz

• 2 weeks later...

Call me crazy but I would go with nothing more than the HS Undertaker. Took my first bird with it and blew the entire neck bone out of it. I have taken several birds between 40-45 yards. I watched my buddy use my gun to down one at 84 yards. I am not making this up, used rangefinder to confirm. Several of my friends have bought one in the past five years and no complaints.

I test fired many different chokes & loads for my SBE ll until I settled upon the factory flush mount full choke and Federal MagShok Heavyweight 3.5" no. 7. The shells are expensive, but any turkey you shoot at within 45 yards will ride in your truck if you hold it 2" below the wattles when you pull the trigger. The full choke that came with my gun measures 0.685 and shoots those Heavyweight 7's (and 6's) considerably better than all the afermarket extended chokes I tried. I even had Rhino custom make me a non-ported version since the FliteControl wad is specifically designed not to be stripped away.

I bought a new SBII last year. I want to go turkey hunting this year. Can someone reccommend a good choke? I seen some crio turkey choke on benelli's site, is that good? Also maybe a recommendation on what ammo I might try.

Thanks

This subject has been going round and round for years.

The real issue is that Benelli bores are all over the bored. Get it?, bored :D

You don't really know what you have unless it's mic'ed. You might have a .718 that is finicky. You might have a .723 that is easy to work with.

I have found that SBE's need a little field work to find out what works best.

What kills one bird, might not work for the rest. If you are a weekend warrior, and might only get out a few times, then the factory full or some cheapy choke like the Undertaker might work.

But if you seriously pursue them, these cheap options might let you down some day.

There are three aftermarket chokes that seem to be pretty well accepted in the turkey community for the SBE II:

Primos Jellyhead .660

Rhino .660

Indian Creek .660+-

All of these with any decent new wave #6's or #7's, should work fine.

H-13 seems to big pretty popular, and I've shot around $1000 worth of it, but it's slow at 1090 fps, and not perfect in my opinion. I will probably keep shooting it for now, but I still think the Winchester Xtended Range shells at 1225 fps are a good option.

All of these things can be bought at places like:

www.cabelas.com

www.bassproshops.com

www.mackspw.com

www.midsouthshooterssupply.com

www.midwayusa.com

This place is great, but there is much more turkey info at www.oldgobbler.com

Good luck!

I use a SBE II with a waterfowl barrel and have spent $100's upon $100's on chokes and different loads and my best pattern has been Hevi 13's in 2oz with my Indian Creek 0.665!!! I'd post pics but haven't got enough posts yet. I'm working on it! It put 234 #6's in a 9.75" circle at 40 yards. at 20 yards my pattern is about 4" :S. I'm adding a scope this year. I haven't missed with stock sights but it will happen soon enough!

kupt.

I used the Jellyhead with my first SBE and it worked really well. When I purchased my SBE II, I purchased another Jellyhead, but I have not had the same results. The pattern really opened up regardless of the ammo used. I just purchased one of the Hevi-shot Turkey chokes and it is .667. I called and spoke with one of the Techs and he said that during testing they found that .660 was to much constriction for the SBE II and that the .667 worked really well with all of there turkey loads. He said that some people were even reporting good results using the Dead Coyote loads with the Turkey choke. The weather has prevented me from getting out and pattering different loads, but hopefully it will ease up and I can get out in the next couple of weeks.

• 3 weeks later...
I used the Jellyhead with my first SBE and it worked really well. When I purchased my SBE II, I purchased another Jellyhead, but I have not had the same results. The pattern really opened up regardless of the ammo used. I just purchased one of the Hevi-shot Turkey chokes and it is .667. I called and spoke with one of the Techs and he said that during testing they found that .660 was to much constriction for the SBE II and that the .667 worked really well with all of there turkey loads. He said that some people were even reporting good results using the Dead Coyote loads with the Turkey choke. The weather has prevented me from getting out and pattering different loads, but hopefully it will ease up and I can get out in the next couple of weeks.

Yes, I was given similar info......was told to try the Hevi 13 #6 shot and the Mag Blend in the Hevi 13 .667 choke. Cablelas had them on sale @ $49. The choke arrived the other day, will be getting the ammo soon....next week or two I will find out what my SBE 2 will do. Last year I used my SuperNova with a trulock .665 Fed Flite control #5.....so if my SBE 2 gets poor patterns will be using the SuperNova.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got out and shot the new Hevi-Shot choke tube. I was shooting from 40 yards and measuring the pellets in an 11" circle. I shot my best group using the Remington Hevi-shot 3" #6. I put 177 pellets in the 11" circle. The next best was the Hevi-shot 3 1/2 #6, with 158 pellets in the 11" circle. I was initially dissapointed with the results, until I read an article in the April issue of Outdoor Life. The article compared the test results of the Hevi-shot choke with several other brands of choke tubes using different loads. The test results were consistent with the results that I exprerienced, with the exception that they performed the test at 40 yards measuring the pellets in a 12" circle instead of 11". If I counted the pellets around the perimeter of the circle the results would have been pretty much the same. The test results from Outdoor Life showed the Hevi-shot combo out performed the others tested. I haven't tested the other chokes that they were using, but I can say that there test results were consistent with mine and that the Hevi-shot choke definitely out performs the Jellyhead that I wanted to replace.

I finally got out and shot the new Hevi-Shot choke tube. I was shooting from 40 yards and measuring the pellets in an 11" circle. I shot my best group using the Remington Hevi-shot 3" #6. I put 177 pellets in the 11" circle. The next best was the Hevi-shot 3 1/2 #6, with 158 pellets in the 11" circle. I was initially dissapointed with the results, until I read an article in the April issue of Outdoor Life. The article compared the test results of the Hevi-shot choke with several other brands of choke tubes using different loads. The test results were consistent with the results that I exprerienced, with the exception that they performed the test at 40 yards measuring the pellets in a 12" circle instead of 11". If I counted the pellets around the perimeter of the circle the results would have been pretty much the same. The test results from Outdoor Life showed the Hevi-shot combo out performed the others tested. I haven't tested the other chokes that they were using, but I can say that there test results were consistent with mine and that the Hevi-shot choke definitely out performs the Jellyhead that I wanted to replace.

In my opinion, what bird is going to survive 158-177 pellets in the 11" at 40 yards? None :)

You have a pretty good pattern I think!

While I am always searching for the golden pattern, I always try to remember that birds move, flinch, duck, etc. and maybe a more full & even pattern at 40 yards is not such a bad thing.

Add in a few close up misses with patterns the size of a soft ball, and maybe there is something to be said for the nice even pattern?....

Good luck!

I shot my SBE 2 with a 26" barrel....results with 2 different loads, measured true 40yds to target. Both loads were 3.5" shells.

Federal Flite Control #5 shot/2oz @ 40yds 99 pellets in a 10" circle (factory full choke)

Hevi-13 #6 shot-1 3/4oz @ 40yds 152 in a 10" circle (Hevi shot choke .667)

note: I did not clean the barrel or chokes, not sure if clean barrel makes better pattern or not?

Im looking forward to see the Hevi-13 performance on a long beard next month in Md.

In my opinion, what bird is going to survive 158-177 pellets in the 11" at 40 yards? None :)

You have a pretty good pattern I think!

While I am always searching for the golden pattern, I always try to remember that birds move, flinch, duck, etc. and maybe a more full & even pattern at 40 yards is not such a bad thing.

Add in a few close up misses with patterns the size of a soft ball, and maybe there is something to be said for the nice even pattern?....

Good luck!

I agree 100%, and I'm not saying that I'm not happy with the results, but I just really don't understand how some people are getting the results they get using off the shelf chokes and ammo.