Mesa Tactical M4 Urbino Stock. It's HERE!

babob

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK -- so can you indeed install the OEM rubber grip onto the Urbino???

Also - I'm planning on ordering an Urbino today -- I have a Aimpoint H-1 in a short LaRue mount on a Sidearmor rail/saddle - it doesnt seem to me that I would need the cheekriser as the OEM stock height was good for my sight picture. Can anyone running a similar setup (T-1/H-1 w/ shortest mount) chime in?

but can you pull off the old grip on the standard Benelli stock and install on the Urbino?

Appears that it's doable:

I also somewhat prefer the Benelli rubber grip cover, and was able to slide it onto the Mesa grip stud. I didn't put it all the way on, just far enough to prove that it's an option.

What I first noticed about the Urbino's grip was that it feels a little more boxy at the rear of the pistol grip when compared to the OEM grip. Don't know if that's by design or not, but I find that once I started shooting the gun a lot, the grip is actually pretty dang comfortable and the slight boxyness at the rear of the grip is giving me a bit more torsion strength when manipulating the gun, especially during reloads.

Page 2 dude.

Looking good, Phil!

Oh yeah ... 5 posts ... so here's my Urbino installed:

benellim4urbinorightlg.jpg

benellim4urbinoleftlg.jpg

Gonna remove the CDM mount, move the Scout light back onto the M80 rail, and get a longer tail to keep the pressure pad in the same location.

Edited by uscm

Oh yeah ... 5 posts ... so here's my Urbino installed:

benellim4urbinorightlg.jpg

benellim4urbinoleftlg.jpg

Gonna remove the CDM mount, move the Scout light back onto the M80 rail, and get a longer tail to keep the pressure pad in the same location.

Now thats the pix i was looking for... Thanks

what is the proper grip on that foregrip?

also did you notice the urbino PG is flatter on the back side where your palm and thumb wrap around? havent shot mine yet so not sure if its less comfortable.

• 3 weeks later...

I handled one of these the other day. Honestly, I'm surprised there aren't more complaints about the pistol grip. The grip itself feels very boxy in the back. I'd like to hear from people who have shot the weapon extensively with the stock equipped.

It's not absolutely terrible by any means, but it certainly is no Benelli.

The molding, and tightness of the product looks and feels good. Seams are seamless for the most part.

Now thats the pix i was looking for... Thanks

what is the proper grip on that foregrip?

The Magpul AFG is sort of a grip aid than an actual grip, as you don't actually grip the AFG itself. It's used where you support hand is placed at an itermediate distance from the strong hand such that neither a "firehose" grip nor a pistol grip would be comfortable. On the AR, the modern technique is to have your support hand out as close to the muzzle as possible to reduce muzzle flip for faster follow-up shots. But with mid-length and carbine-length forearms, the "firehose" grip--when you grip the forearm like a hose or beer can--can bend a wrist at an uncomfortable, cramp-inducing angle. The AFG was created to change the angle of the wrist when folks use the "firehose" grip on shorter forends.

I've seen it on a few shotguns before--mostly on pump guns, which seems silly and presumably creates problem when pushing the stock forward to chamber a round--but I've not seen it used on many autoloaders.

My guess is that pwraudio1 rests his thumb on top of the left-side rail (next to the pressure pad) with all four fingers wrapped around the AFG to the other side of the forearm. The thumb-forward grip is common with railed forends and stocks, as their increased diameter makes it more difficult to hold the forend with the thumb over the top; and with the Benelli M4, having a bare thumb up on to the barrel might not be such a good idea. Given the thickness of the stock, he might alternatively have his index finger in front of the AFG to effectively reduce the overall stock diameter, and to provide better purchase and ability to pull the shotgun back into his shoulder more.

Edited by LeoAtrox

I visited Mesa and noticed the same thing; the pistol grip is "boxy" in the rear and not as ergonomic as the Benelli original.

Anyone else notice this?

anyone else read my post 142 above?

I cant say if its good or bad or indiffernt as I havent shot it yet.