Mesa Tactical M4 Urbino Stock. It's HERE!

babob

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can someone confirm this?

Hey SD, the president of Mesa said it's possible.

havent tried it but I would call them and find out how. I heard the rubber is "glued" on?

as far as buying one just call and order directly from Mesa.

They're all at SHOT right now, but you can ask the question on their forum, he's usually quick with responding.

Instead of paying full retail and ordering directly from Mesa, order from New Frontier Armory for $37 below retail and Mesa fulfills the order.

Hey SD, the president of Mesa said it's possible.

They're all at SHOT right now, but you can ask the question on their forum, he's usually quick with responding.

Instead of paying full retail and ordering directly from Mesa, order from New Frontier Armory for $37 below retail and Mesa fulfills the order.

Thanks, have one ordered!

The adhesive that Mesa uses is weak, and I easily removed the rubber sleeve. The inner cores of the Mesa is pretty much identical to Benelli's (the ridges are slightly different).

I did notice that the Mesa grip is more blocky than the Benelli, but it feels fine. I had planned to swap them if the Mesa proved to be definitely inferior, but it's still installed.

Yes, it is possible to swap them.....I had it on 95% of the way before removing it.

Grizz

Does anyone know the LOP of the Urbino with the Limbsaver installed?

Has anyone actually swapped out the Urbino grip for the Benelli factory grip?

Does anyone have a picture of the "gap" between the trigger guard and the pistol grip on the Urbino?

http://www.mesatactical.com/forum/vi...pid=2035#p2035

If you swap out the pistol grip for the Benelli factory onto the Urbino, is there still a gap?

The LOP of the Mesa with the Limbsaver recoil pad is 12 1/2 inches.

I just installed the Benelli grip cover onto the Mesa stock. It took more effort to install than the Benelli unit, but it did go on.

The Benelli grip sleeve is about 1/8 inch longer than the Mesa unit at the beavertail area, but it lays flat and works fine.

Urbino-Mesabottomview.jpg

Here's a photo of the gap between the trigger guard and the Mesa stock. In my opinion, this gap is a non-issue. The pistol grip covers doesn't affect the gap.

BenelligriponUrbino.jpg

Grizz

The difference in feel is most noticeable at the upper part of the grip, in the web area between thumb and forefinger. The Urbino's grip doesn't feel uncomfortable, just not comfy as the Benelli's.

Grizz

Absolutely agree with this assessment. I moved the Benelli grip over to the Urbino last night........the Benelli rubber is a bit softer as well, so that and the more rounded lines where Grizz describes makes for a more natural feel than the Urbino grip. Other than that area, I didn't notice other areas of the grip that felt appreciably different.

I had asked the folks at Mesa Tactical about the grip. I've highlighted the part that is especially worth noting:

we basically reverse engineered the Benelli stock (without assistance from Benelli), so we tried to get as close as we could. When we first made prototypes of the grip, there was another problem with the prototype that overshadowed the boxy back portion of the grip, so we focused on fixing that. And as you know, we were always behind schedule.

When the production grips appeared we noticed the boxiness. We aren't happy with it. A couple of things I'll say about that:

1. If you really don't like the grip, you can remove it and install the Benelli factory grip. It should fit fine. If you want to glue it in place, we recommend a marine adhesive called Amazing Goop Marine Contact Adhesive and Sealant.

2. We do plan to re-work the grip sleeve as much as we can without having to make a new mold. When this will happen we cannot say, but we intend to do it. When the new grip sleeves are available, we will send one to anyone who asks.

That being said, as you observed, the stock is still comfortable to shoot with the boxy grip, certainly more comfortable than, say, the hard plastic grip of a Speedfeed IV (which otherwise is a fine stock). We have had only one real complaint from the field, plus your observation. It's just not as comfortable as the factory grip, and that is the gold standard we are trying to achieve.

I believe they recommend this particular glue to reattach the original grip.

-

Edited by uscm

Oh yeah ... 5 posts ... so here's my Urbino installed:

benellim4urbinorightlg.jpg

benellim4urbinoleftlg.jpg

Gonna remove the CDM mount, move the Scout light back onto the M80 rail, and get a longer tail to keep the pressure pad in the same location.

Now thats the pix i was looking for... Thanks

Awesome M4 man! One question, what is that 2-shot shell carrier you have on your forend? Wondering if I could fasten it to my M1.....