Mesa Tactical M4 Urbino Stock. It's HERE!

babob

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

if they are going to correct the grip - it would be nice if they made it avail to those of us with the old one.

I don't know if "correct" is the right word, I don't find anything wrong with the grip other than it's a little different from the OEM grip.

Mitch at Mesa said they'd give the revised grip to whoever wanted one. I don't think this is going to happen soon, as their plate sounds pretty full with the launching of the Urbino for the other platforms.

I think it would have been wise to make the Urbino with a M4 (rifle) pistol grip, that way you could pick the grip you want, everyone happy.

What would the mechanical fastener securing the pistol grip tap into? On an AR it taps into the receiver itself.

A shotgun has a quite a bit more recoil than an AR especially when shooting slugs/magnum loads.

Sounds like a recipe for failure to me.

I received my Urbino with the cheek riser and Limbsaver on Friday and installed it this weekend. For the most part the stock rocks especially at the price of $146 delivered. The 12 1/2 inch LOP is perfect for me at 5' 8", 160 lbs. The butt pad is buttery soft and really takes the kick out of 00 and slugs. The cheek riser is great if you have optics allowing you to adjust for the perfect cheek weld. Thanks the good news.

Now for the bad. The grip really sucks! it is hard to get past the uncomfortable boxy felling and overall poor fit. It does not fit the Urbino particular well and is loosely glued in place. However there is a solution for those willing to do a little work.

I removed both my OEM and Urbino grips and was surprised to see that the OEM grip fits the Urbino much better and tighter (no glue required) and gives you the original awesome Benelli feel we are all know and love.. FYI, the Urbino grip does not fit the OEM stock particularly well either.

For the Urbino to have long term acceptance, I believe the grip needs to be reverse engineered to the Benelli factory standards and would hope that each of us who purchased the Urbino would be offered a no charge retrofit once it is available so we can return our grips to their original OEM stocks..

Cheers!

I just got one for the M4 and I really like it. When I first started messing with it I was concerned there would be a lot of play in the butt plate/ adjustable cheek rest interface etc. but it's really solid. The 4 rd shell holder on the cheek rest is great as well.

It's the perfect length, it's short but not awkward.

Best of all the adjustable cheek rest at it's lowest position is perfect for me with the ghost sights. I was concerned it might be too high (though it may be for some users, as I have high cheek bones and typically most factory shotgun stocks are too low). One thing I hated about the factory collapsible stocks I've tried out is that the only setting I could use the iron sights was fully extended. It was worthless for me on the middle position unless I ran an optic, and then it was too low.

I do have to agree with the grip though, the back of it is way too square for my liking. I did the same and swapped the OEM grip for it, it fits a lot tighter, and unless you were really using it hard I don't think it needs any adhesive. Some guys like the square grip though so I think it can be personal preference.

Now I just need to convince them to make a 13" LOP benelli M1 non-pistol grip stock. Those M1's need a shorter option in stocks bad!

Now for the bad. The grip really sucks! it is hard to get past the uncomfortable boxy felling and overall poor fit. It does not fit the Urbino particular well and is loosely glued in place. However there is a solution for those willing to do a little work.

I removed both my OEM and Urbino grips and was surprised to see that the OEM grip fits the Urbino much better and tighter (no glue required) and gives you the original awesome Benelli feel we are all know and love.. FYI, the Urbino grip does not fit the OEM stock particularly well either.

For the Urbino to have long term acceptance, I believe the grip needs to be reverse engineered to the Benelli factory standards and would hope that each of us who purchased the Urbino would be offered a no charge retrofit once it is available so we can return our grips to their original OEM stocks..

Good news then. I've heard Mesa admits that the grip is less than ideal. They're working on fixing that, and they should have retrofit grips available in the future.

• 7 months later...
OK -- so can you indeed install the OEM rubber grip onto the Urbino???

Also - I'm planning on ordering an Urbino today -- I have a Aimpoint H-1 in a short LaRue mount on a Sidearmor rail/saddle - it doesnt seem to me that I would need the cheekriser as the OEM stock height was good for my sight picture. Can anyone running a similar setup (T-1/H-1 w/ shortest mount) chime in?

I have the exact same set up. For my preferred cheek weld, my T1 sits too high. I am purchasing the urbino for both the shorter LOP and cheek riser to get my head in line with that T1 on the LaRue low mount. I'm really hopping it raises my cheek enough to be right behind the sight. Did you get yours yet? Does anyone else know if this riser is adequate for this set up?

Edited by Ranger 1/75

• 7 years later...

Not wanting to bring up a sour or old post but i got my stock in and it wont allow me to seat the stock with the trigger group installed prior and i sure cant shove the trigger into the stock after its attached.

I contacted Mesa and will see what they say. the fact that 7 years later (or so) that i need to modify the slot is uncalled for.

picture shows how close i can pull stock toward placed trigger group. 

the OP picture is probably why it wont let me seat it.

20181209_120759.jpg