Ruger SR-556

Super33

You'll like the MRP. You can get a Spikes Tactical conversion kit and shoot 22lr with a proper twist barrel. Pop the two bolts, and swap the barrels. Drop in the dedicated bolt carrier. Done.

Blast away for 3 cents a round. Keep all your accessories and optics on the same weapon. Ballistics in 22lr match 223 within 75 yards. 26 round magazines are typical. 20 bucks each.

Blow through a 1000 rounds and cost you a princely sum of about 45 bucks.

Here is mine. I've done some other work since this photo though. I'm looking at a 45 degree selector on my desk right now from Battle Arms. I have to void my warranty later tonight.

I'm in the process of going SBR too. Going the NFA Trust route.

I had my barrels reprofiled as light as possible. If I were you, I'd watch gunbroker. You can get an upper for about 1200 - 1300. Just make sure you're looking at the piston models rather than the gas op ones. Then build the rifle up how you want it. Get a Spikes Biohazard or Tactical Innovations billet lower.

In .223

4602557761_437207c088_b.jpg

In 22lr

4602557979_630bcfc030_b.jpg

Now that's a zombie killin' lead slinger right there. Might want to look at bud's guns as well. They have pretty good deals on lots of blasters. You might be able to find something you like.

Damn AR's just like the Benelli's, the cheapest part is buying the gun. It's tricking it out that breaks you!

You can look into an ACR too. The SCAR is a good start due to the low weight. The MRP is the top shelf AR platform. The quick barrel change feature is more useful than most realize as I outlined with the 22lr conversion.

My rifle clocks in at 9.5 pounds with a loaded 30 round mag. So a SCAR transition would drop me about 1.5 pounds. It's pretty ugly though and modifications are limited.

You'd be happy with the Ruger. But you'd be happier with the LMT or LWRC. You'd probably end up buying both in the long run. I like the LMT because you can buy it in pieces. This spreads the cost out over time. Adding up total costs of builds is forbidden. The mostly aluminum AR series feels better than the plastic controls on the SCAR and ACR. No easy option for putting a SSA trigger in them either. If you buy a box rifle, you might be replacing parts you could have just bought once and gotten exactly what you wanted to begin with. I'd say anyone could assemble one of these rifles themselves. You'd be a better man for it too. Any problems that develop could be addressed by you.

Successfully voided my warranty lastnight. The 45 degree selector is how it should have been since the beginning. 5 minutes with a hand file took care of the offending lawyer pin.

You'll like the MRP. You can get a Spikes Tactical conversion kit and shoot 22lr with a proper twist barrel. Pop the two bolts, and swap the barrels. Drop in the dedicated bolt carrier. Done.

Blast away for 3 cents a round. Keep all your accessories and optics on the same weapon. Ballistics in 22lr match 223 within 75 yards. 26 round magazines are typical. 20 bucks each.

Blow through a 1000 rounds and cost you a princely sum of about 45 bucks.

Here is mine. I've done some other work since this photo though. I'm looking at a 45 degree selector on my desk right now from Battle Arms. I have to void my warranty later tonight.

I'm in the process of going SBR too. Going the NFA Trust route.

I had my barrels reprofiled as light as possible. If I were you, I'd watch gunbroker. You can get an upper for about 1200 - 1300. Just make sure you're looking at the piston models rather than the gas op ones. Then build the rifle up how you want it. Get a Spikes Biohazard or Tactical Innovations billet lower.

In .223

4602557761_437207c088_b.jpg

In 22lr

Not sure I would want that rifle if you have to have a socket wrench handy.:cool:

It's a 12mw visible green laser. I don't use it that much though. So I took it off a few months ago.

The X300 has switches on the back of it. You activate them with your thumb. It's ambidextrous and doesn't require any tape switches. It's about the lightest light you can get. Fairly cheap too.

I have plans to add the 350 lumen Surefire 720 RAID light when it's released. It won't likely be at the 12 o'clock position due to the height though.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after MUCH MUCH thought I decided on the Ruger and I brought the thing home today. Not only that but I made the mistake of browsing the ACOG counter and brought one of those home too...... Oh and I stocked up I guess you can say on ammo... 4000 rounds. I'm still alive right now but that's because the wife doesn't come home until around 7 central time.

IMAG0460.jpg

IMAG0453.jpg

I've got a couple piston AR's, and they're awesome. That said, if the proverbial SHTF and I had to go mobile and take just one AR, I'd want a direct-gas one. Why? Maintenance. If a part fails, it is much easier to get a replacement part for a standard AR. For a piston AR, you're in trouble if you run into a problem with your op-rod or bolt carrier, or if you field strip and misplace your gas plug. (Hey, it happens.)

I've got a Barrett Rec7 and an AR that utilizes the Adams Arms piston system. They're wonderful. No problems with either, and I love them. Great range guns, and they'd be great in battle if I ever had to use them ... But my next AR will be a standard direct-gas-impingement AR with a FailZero upper receiver and parts kit. High reliability, and high availability of cheap replacement parts. (Not to mention that the FailZero coating runs without lube and is ridiculously easy to clean.)

I guess I could misplace a part for any gun during cleaning. I could break a part for any gun and I could wear out a part on any gun from too much use or from poor maintenance perhaps.

If I were to buy replacement parts to have around for the Ruger what would you guys suggest? I want some back up parts for those parts that experience the most wear and tear and have the highest potential for breaking.

I'd be more worried about a trigger pack failure or bolt breakage. Most of these dedicated piston op uppers remove parts from the weapon. Example. No gas key to shake loose.

As with all weapons, you should start to assemble a replacement parts kit. Pins, detents, springs, proprietary parts, bolt carrier group, trigger pack. Throw in a few basic tools, oil and patches. Maybe a boresnake.

If you're fighting the hoards of cannibals to the level that you're wearing out guns, you might want to go another direction.

The failzero is a great choice though. I'd like to have it done to my MRP. I may have to do nP3 + instead though. I have a out a 1000 rounds on the MRP since last cleaning it. Without fouling being blown into the upper, it stays lubricated. The bolt is still oiled. It would have been burned off or carbonized by now in a gas op sys.

Still accurate too. I was hitting a real estate sign at 450 yards off hand in the wind yesterday with green tip SS109.

Guess you didn't get killed? You do the smart thing and hide it? ;)

I'd be more worried about a trigger pack failure or bolt breakage. Most of these dedicated piston op uppers remove parts from the weapon. Example. No gas key to shake loose.

As with all weapons, you should start to assemble a replacement parts kit. Pins, detents, springs, proprietary parts, bolt carrier group, trigger pack. Throw in a few basic tools, oil and patches. Maybe a boresnake.

If you're fighting the hoards of cannibals to the level that you're wearing out guns, you might want to go another direction.

The failzero is a great choice though. I'd like to have it done to my MRP. I may have to do nP3 + instead though. I have a out a 1000 rounds on the MRP since last cleaning it. Without fouling being blown into the upper, it stays lubricated. The bolt is still oiled. It would have been burned off or carbonized by now in a gas op sys.

Still accurate too. I was hitting a real estate sign at 450 yards off hand in the wind yesterday with green tip SS109.

Guess you didn't get killed? You do the smart thing and hide it? ;)

Hahaha. I told her I got a "rifle" and then yes, I hid it. She still hasn't seen it. So she's been fine so far.

I'm planning on shooting the Ruger tomorrow. So far I only got to field strip it and give it a good wipe down and clean that factory debri from the barrel. I'm gonna have to let the smoke settle before I start ordering back up parts. Especially since I already ordered some goodies from Magpul, new stock, 5 more mags, sling, sling mounts, rail covers... and a trijicon RMR LED 8 MOA red dot to sit atop my trijicon acog for those close quarters zombies.