Supernova

JESSE WALES

Ive been looking at getting back into Goose hunting,

and possibly turkey hunting

I also dont want to pay like a thousand bucks for a shotgun

then I looked at the Supernova as opposed to the 870

moneywise I cant see paying the money for a high end Winchester. I called Benelli and found out that it does have a chrome lined barrel. which I think all wet weather shotguns should have, and easier to keep clean between weekends

I just have a few questions before I buy the Supernova 12 Ga 28 inch camo

like about prices for 3 1/2 inch shells as opposed to 3 inch will it shoot 3 inch well ? and what chokes should I use for steel BBs? can u use a full choke with steel BBs ????

I like the way Benelli comes with extra chokes making it a more all purpose shotgun for clays !

and can u shoot steel BBs and other steel shot like from # 2 to BB size through it with full choke.............? in, 3 1/2 without ruining the barrel since steel doesnt compress ????

will it work well with 3 inch shells for sport clays and practice and keeping the price down

befor I buy id like to hear if there and downsides to the supernova and will I have to buy parts for it like springs and such

thanx

DS

I have the 870 and the Supernova. IMHO the Supernova is a way better shotgun for duck hunting, but the 870 worked fine as well.

You can shoot steel through the IC and Mod Benelli chokes but NOT through the full choke. Not an issue since steel usually patterns like $h!t out of a full choke. I found the mod worked well and have now switched to using the IC now since I like to wait until the birds are real close

thanx for the info in advance,,,

I wanted a Supernova because of the Comfortec system

in 12 Ga, 28 inch 3 1/2 camo but was looking at the price tag of a new one, then today i went to my favorite pawn shop and theres a NOVA 12 Ga. in black synthetic ,3 1/2, 26'' in like never shot condition !!!

so I go to the other pawn shop i usualy go to to check prices and see a really nice Browning 3 1/2 inch 28 inch barrel , fine wood stock for 6 and some change

so as u can imagine I ran back to my favorite shop and did some trading and got the Nova for $329.oo

since it doesnt have the Comfortec stock will I need the mercury recoil reducer and gel pad ?????????? for 3 1/2

mag loads ? what do u think about extended chokes in Mod and IC for passover geese ??? with #2 too BB sizes in both lead and steel, since the chamber is for 3 1/2, will it shoot 3 inch shells well??? or will there be a cleareance problem ,I try to shoot whatever full length shells the gun is made for, but dont know a lot about shotguns... im more of a 1911 , and bolt action kinda shooter ,I know Ihave a lot of questions ,but i try to take my sports as seriously as I can

SANTA : I do need a choke wrench, and think I want the extended chokes for geese because of the more gradual taper, and a little more reach ///////////////

DS

You cannot run steel shot through a factory full choke. With the factory chokes you can only run steel (any size) through cylinder, modified, and improved cylinder. Bismuth and all of the other heavy metal shot shell options are an attempt to re-create the balistic properties of lead in an eco friendly way. It is also incredibly expensive. Unless you are hunting waterfowl or hunting on a place that requires non toxic shot, just use lead. If you cant run lead, use steel, ive never had a problem killing what I was pointing at with steel. That being said, if you buy the nova/supernova yes, you can shoot 3.5" shells, but its always been my opinion that it is an answer to an un asked question. I can only shoot 2 3/4 and 3" shells out of my m1 and once again, have never had a problem killing what ive been pointing at. With a Carlsons modified choke Ive killed geese at 40 yards, and put down teal at 60, but I dont prefer to take long shots just because I dont like the retrieves. Id say get the nova/supernova and you will be happy with it. There are a bunch of aftermarket options on choke tubes, so that you could run a tighter choke with steel, but there really isnt much reason to shoot a full choke at waterfowl....youre either sky busting or throwing a softball at 1500+fps at what youre shooting, either way its a waste of game and an unethical way to hunt.

Also remember that steel and lead pattern different, generally speaking with lead the chokes go as such...

Skeet/Cylinder=up to 20 yds, Improved cylinder=up to 25 yards, modified=up to 35 yards, full=up to 45 yards. With steel Bump up 1 choke (Skeet lead=IC steel, Lead IC=Modified steel, lead modified=steel full)

And yes, you can shoot 2 3/4, 3, and 3.5"s out of your nova. I dont think you will need any recoil reducers, especially if you shoot 3" shells. If it becomes too much, a limbsaver will do you just fine. Good luck and remember, go pattern your gun with the factory chokes. Aftermarket chokes dont give any more reach than factory chokes, they just tend to pattern better, but if you are making a nice pattern with your factory chokes I wouldnt spend the money.

I got the NOVA 12 Ga 26 inch barrel

it only came with one choke

so i went looking today at my local outdoors store and found an extended choke that will work with the Nova

it also has light riffeling in it that supposed to give it a little twist called a goose getter

cant wait to go try it out

thanx again for the info

DS

You realize that for the cost of the 3.5" you dont pick up any more velocity, and only gain a 1/16'th ounce of shot? Ive never seen the need for using 3.5's. We kill em just as effectivly with 2 3/4" shells. Like I said, good luck to you though... I would recommend a modified choke instead of what sounds like a tight goose choke, and I really dont see the benefit of rifling the choke, I almost think it would throw a worse pattern...follow my logic here. When using shot (instead of a slug) the shot cup usually peels away from the shot payload at about 15 yards. Given the laws of centrifugal force, if that shot cup were spinning once that shot cup peeled off the shot, that was contained is now uncontained and wanting to expand, where as shot that is not spinning because of no rifling will throw a denser pattern at a longer range because it does not have the external forces trying to pull it outwards. Be sure to pattern, pattern, pattern. Know how big that shot pattern is going to be at various ranges, shoot a ton of skeet and trap, learn your gun inside out before you go out and try to make long shots and end up just crippling game.

like i said i dont know a lot about chokes and steel I bought this shotgun primarily for geese

I just recently got a 16 ga side by side for upland birds

I do like the idea of being able to change chokes with your fingers instead of many turns with a wrench

goose hunting here is primarily high flyovers and people here swear by BBs for geese ,

or a ten guage

DS

good thing i didnt buy that choke yet, didnt have the money today, ill probably get rid of the full choke , maybe toss it , and get the extended smooth choke I also saw today WITHOUT RIFLING im not gonna buy any choke till I can take the gun into the store and make sure its gonna fit properly befor I buy it

right now i need a wrench to get the old one out

thanx for the help thats why im here

DS

I wouldnt toss your full choke. They are great for turkey hunting. All you need to know is if your gun is crio+ or standard benelli choke. After that the guys at the store should be able to help you. To get your choke out use a quarter in the slots of the choke. If it is threaded at the muzzle end, it is a standard benelli choke. If it has about 3/4 inch of tube after the threads then it is crio plus. YOU CANNOT MIX AND MATCH! Yes, they will screw into each other, but you run the risk of damaging the choke and barrel if you use the wrong choke. As far as goose hunting goes, yes, I use 3" bb and have always had it do the trick. I would recommend a cabellas choke if you are on a budget. They are made by carlsons and are an excelent choke to buy and are only around 30 bucks. If youve got more to spend, kicks high flyers are great. The nice thing about extended chokes are the ability to shoot tighter chokes with steel shot. Like I said before, the length of the choke has nothing to do with it throwing a better pattern, its in their design. Here is the setup I would run to hunt geese/ducks.

Early Season ducks. Modified choke 3" number 4 shot

Late season ducks. Modified choke 3" number 2 shot

Both of these are good out to about 40 yards. Any more than that and you are gonna piss people off because you are a sky buster.

Geese Improved modified 3 (or 3.5" but I really dont see any added benefit thats worth the extra cost) BB. This will be lethal out to about 50 yards. Once again, shots farther than that and you risk crippling the bird and being forever cursed as a sky buster. If youre gonna pull the trigger on them, make sure you are gonna kill em dead.

Guest ricky12heather

I have just purchased a Benelli Super Nova 12 gauge Ducks Unlimited. And just plannned to go for shooting. I am very much excited about it. Will let you people know about my experience.