Crio chokes actually better?

RC Parker

Just bought my first Benelli and I'm wondering in the supplied Crio chokes are better than an aftermarket like Briley's. I've got an M2 I'll use for clays and 3-gun, and I want to replace the stock chokes with extended ones. Any input?

Thanks!

This is just my opinion, but I think the Crio chokes are better or just as good as any aftermarket choke. They pattern just as good as my high-dollar aftermarket chokes. I would try them before you buy any more. If you choose to buy aftermarket and sell the Crio, let me know.

The crio chokes, in my testing, also shoot one choke tighter than others I have tried.

jed

RC, since no one else has given this a go, I will give you my opinion. Benelli advertises that the Crio chokes have been given the cryogenic treatment that basically "freezes" the metal and gives the chokes a slicker surface. This makes them "easier to clean" and also give "better" patterns, etc. By the way, cryogenic treating does not harden the metal as many think.

As a manufacturer of shotgun chokes, early on I considered having my chokes treated in this manner. But the cost added to the choke was more than I felt the customer would want to pay for an inconclusive and hard to prove benefit.

Are the Crio chokes "better" than Briley's or other aftermarket chokes? I, for one, don't think so. Chokes made with 17-4 PH stainless steel are very tough. I do not know what grade of stainless the Crio chokes are made of.

GTPSC

http://www.blackborechokes.com

Here is my 2 cents worth.

1. can the average hunter tell the difference between aftermarket and standard Crio chokes?

2. Cost? Will spending an extra $45 - $85 per choke really improve your shooting significantly over the Crios?

3. Extended chokes? If you want ease of changeability then consider the aftermarket extended tubes as a viable choice.

4. Briley isn't the only aftermarket choke company but they can be expensive...I prefer Carlson's for the affordability factor. I believe they offer as good a quality aftermarket choke as any other manufacturer and they have been in business for a long time.

5. Briley is probably the most visible choke manufacturer with the most variety to offer.

Edited by hattles

Thanks for the input guys. I certainly do qualify as the "average hunter", and I'm looking at extended chokes mainly for the convenience. I've used Briley's on my Citori Ultra Skeet for years, and I'll probably go that way again. I picked up Carlson IC and IM's in the Bargain Cave at Cabela's and paid full price for a SK, but the description of "most Benelli's" on the package didn't include my M2, so they're going back. Jed- PM me with an offer on the 5 Crio's that came with the gun if you're interested.

Thanks!