My review of the Vinci

boykinhntr

I posted this on another board and I'm sure there have been plenty of talk aboutthe Vinci but I'm new here so thought I would post my opinion. I hope you find it helpful.

Well, I went to buy a SBE2 or extrema 2 and ended up with a Vinci. After shouldering the Vinci I knew it was the gun I wanted. I like to have 3.5" capabilities but I was willing to give that up for a gun that felt better.

So I have been into the birds pretty good lately and here is my take on the Vinci. Right off the bat it is the best shooting hunting gun I have ever shot. The gun is light, balanced, and points like a dream. It feels like it was custom made for me. There is definitely something to the design bc there is nearly zero muzzle jump. You can shoot and be back on target nearly instantly. I cant emphasize that enough! The recoil is also less than any other inertia gun I have shot. My buddy and I traded back and forth with his Extrema 2 and couldn't tell much of difference. We were shooting 3" Bc and hevI shot. Again I think the design makes it shoot softer than the M2 or SBE2.

Luckily the safety didn't bother me at all BUT it will bother some. It is at the front of the trigger guard and a little further than usual. It fits my hand fine but if you have smaller fingers then this could be annoying. The actual trigger is great....very nice pull.

The ability to easily break a gun down is nice but most new autos are fairly simple. The great part about the vinci is that by taking the forearm off you can get to every part of the gun that you need to clean except for the firing pin etc....if you have to break it down in the field, there are no pins, caps, screws our anything else to worry about. Twist the cap and you are done. Truly impressive.

Overall I am much more impressed with the Vinci then I thought I was going to be. I'm not loyal to any brand but Benelli hit a homer with this one. If you don't care about 3.5" then the Vinci is unbeatable IMO.

Forgot to add that the hard case that comes with the gun stinks. Its cheap feeling, awkward, and overall useless. I would expect more from a.$1300 gun.

Excuse the many errors...sent from my Droid X.

Hello boykinhntr,… Thanks for your thorough review of the Vinci. :) I’ve been looking at this gun and really like it, mostly for the reasons you mention. The gun comes up and mounts very well (for me anyway), and as you said, the recoil-jump is minimal.

I am aware of the discussion concerning the safety, but I didn’t find this a problem either (even when wearing cold-weather gloves). When wearing gloves, I do curl my forefinger slightly to provide more downward force with the end of my finger on the safety.

--Spike

^^ RE> "I had hit my finger a few times when I was wearing a cheep thin pair af Cabela's liner gloves."

Was it the front of the trigger guard that was striking your finger?

What benefit did "Got a new pair of gloves." provide?

--Spike

Front of the trigger guard. Back of the guard my middle finger.

What benefit did. New pair with better grip to hold the gun so it did not slip when I pulled the trigger.

^^ Thanks for the reply. Yes, I see what you mean: ("I had hit my finger a few times when I was wearing a [cheap] thin pair [of] Cabela's liner gloves. Back of the guard my middle finger.”)

I haven’t fired enough rounds through a Vinci to notice soreness from bumping the middle finger on the rear of the trigger guard. However, I did notice that the rear part of the trigger guard is quite thick, and it does press against your middle finger when positioning your hand on the pistol grip. The space is very tight.

I’m not sure why the rear of the trigger guard is so wide (deep) on the Vinci. It might be for structural strength to provide rigidity to the lower component?

Most of the complaints you read about the Vinci relate to the trigger guard and the safety. Fixes for these problems might be a larger throw-bolt for the safety (more protrusive) and a trigger guard that is less deep in its rearward dimension.

--Spike

^^ That's great shooting.

Did you have a retriever to pickup/find the downed birds?

I’ve been hunting for 50 years, and only have one triple. But, it wasn’t a pure triple. :( I was hunting pheasants when two jumped up and I got both, and about a second or two later a third bird flushed which I also shot. That was very exciting, but it probably only counts as a double followed by a single.

--Spike

^^ That's great shooting.

Did you have a retriever to pickup/find the downed birds?

I’ve been hunting for 50 years, and only have one triple. But, it wasn’t a pure triple. :( I was hunting pheasants when two jumped up and I got both, and about a second or two later a third bird flushed which I also shot. That was very exciting, but it probably only counts as a double followed by a single.

--Spike

I think I have tripled but is been a loooong time. I know I have never done it on three greenheads!!!

No retriever, mine hurt his leg two seasons ago and is now retired. But the birds were easy to find. Two were dead in the decoys and the third about 30yds behind me. Fun hunt

• 1 month later...
^^ Thanks for the reply. Yes, I see what you mean: ("I had hit my finger a few times when I was wearing a [cheap] thin pair [of] Cabela's liner gloves. Back of the guard my middle finger.”)

I haven’t fired enough rounds through a Vinci to notice soreness from bumping the middle finger on the rear of the trigger guard. However, I did notice that the rear part of the trigger guard is quite thick, and it does press against your middle finger when positioning your hand on the pistol grip. The space is very tight.

I’m not sure why the rear of the trigger guard is so wide (deep) on the Vinci. It might be for structural strength to provide rigidity to the lower component?

Most of the complaints you read about the Vinci relate to the trigger guard and the safety. Fixes for these problems might be a larger throw-bolt for the safety (more protrusive) and a trigger guard that is less deep in its rearward dimension.

--Spike

I registered and got on here just to see if anyone else has a problem with the trigger guard. By problem I mean having the back of the trigger guard hitting the middle finger. I don't have a problem with it unless I'm shooting high-brass express or the Hypersonic 1700fps. Frankly, I can't shoot the Hypersonics, it's just unbearable. I don't think it's a trigger guard design issue, I think it's because the stock compresses so much in order to minimize recoil and allows the trigger guard to "back up" too much. The standard Black Cloud 1350fps ammo doesn't do it. Don't get me wrong, I love the Vinci's we have but I'm thinking I have to go another route if I want to use the high-powered ammo. I'm thinking this may be the downside to the recoil reduction system in the stock and all models set up like this are going to have the same issue. I can't imagine shooting 3.5" mags in a Super Vinci since it has the same trigger guard set up. Maybe a SBE II for the ducks and geese? Ideas?

I don't know. It does look a little different but I'm not sure it's enough. In fact, with it being flat on the back now in lieu of the original tapered design, it might be worse. Unless they're willing to let me demo one or someone has useful feedback I'm thinking the SBE II might be a better option. It's not a price issue, it's a comfort issue. I do like Benelli and I've killed a lot of different birds with mine but my middle finger is still jacked up from the last day of duck season down here and that was over a week ago.

^^ I agree. The Vinci “comes up” and mounts exceptionally well for an autoloader. I like my Montefeltro for the same reason, but give a slight edge to the Vinci for handling. The Super Vinci is even better for its improved trigger guard and safety-button configuration.

I prefer a quality two barrel gun for handling, but the Vinci is pretty darn good in this category, and the Vinci provides an extra round and is certainly more easily handled (loading and keeping the muzzle pointed safely) in the tight confinement of a duck blind.

If you want an autoloader that mounts effortlessly and points quickly, the Vinci is a great choice.

--Spike