Light help on my benelli

Rezarf

Let me say I am a HUGE fan of lights on weapons. I recently bought a Surefire Forend for my M1 S90 tactical. It is a great light but the old incandesant light style. I know I can upgrade to a LED head or bulb for about $60 bucks.

However, I like the SF forend as far as ergo's go, but I don't like the fit of the forearm. It wobbles around and wiggles in nearly every direction. Nothing more than what a pump does, but after the nice Benelli stock with NO movement, I have gotten spoiled. Here is how it sits now...

IMG_1529.jpg

Thus my decision. I just recently picked up a heavily used SF Scout light, and I am thinking of running it on a Nordic Components clamp/rail system up near the muzzle like this...

fnnnpp001.jpg

It is a lightweight light... and has good spill for a shotgun light. I don't love the idea of getting the weight way out on the end but I can drop the light on and off quickly with the mount.

I'd run a pressure switch to my thumb side of the forearm and be adding just a few oz and I'd get my tight forearm back on the gun.

What says the Benelli crowd?

Contact Surefire and cry about the loose fit. They might have a solution or replace it. The new LED models are nice. Same output as the Scout.

Surefires customer service is top notch. I cried about my tail cap on my LX2 being hard to push to activate the high setting. Without even getting my serial number, they dropped a replacement tail cap and pocket clip in the mail.

I have the Nordic Components clamp/mount on my M2 for my SureFire X300, and love it. I don't notice any weight at the bbl end, and putting it there it doesn't light up my bbl/front sight and there's no bbl shadow. 'Course my bbl is 14" so it was going to be at the bbl end no matter what. So if you have an 18"+ bbl, you don't have to put it all the way to the end. I also mounted the switch (a modified XT07) where my thumb naturally rests.

picture.php?albumid=110&pictureid=443

picture.php?albumid=110&pictureid=444

Edited by Super Dak©

I have the Nordic Components clamp/mount on my M2 for my SureFire, and love it. I don't notice any weight at the bbl end, and putting it there it doesn't light up my bbl/front sight and there's no bbl shadow. 'Course my bbl is 14" so it was going to be at the bbl end no matter what. So if you have an 18"+ bbl, you don't have to put it all the way to the end. I also mounted the switch where my thumb naturally rests.

picture.php?albumid=110&pictureid=443

picture.php?albumid=110&pictureid=444

Yeah, I have decided to run the scout light setup. I love the ergo's of the factory forarm and I found this new mount I am going to try for it. I was able to sell my SF forend to fund my new light.

CDM Gear: http://www.cdmgear.com/bmt.html

I am going to try the 3 slot version. Shouldn't add much weight. I will be putting the pressure switch on my thumb as well.

Super Dak, the SF tape switch your using does both constant on and momentary correct?

CDM Gear: http://www.cdmgear.com/bmt.html

I am going to try the 3 slot version. Shouldn't add much weight. I will be putting the pressure switch on my thumb as well.

Super Dak, the SF tape switch your using does both constant on and momentary correct?

The CDM clamp looks like a good piece and should do the job nicely.

Yes, the tape switch is both constant and momentary (the round button is constant, and the longer tape switch is momentary). Allot of people argue about having a light on a gun (i.e. gives away your position) but to me it's just another tool that you don't have to use if the situation doesn't require (much like my concealed carry gun). I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it) :)

I have the same setup (light and switch) on my M-16 w/11” bbl, with the light mounted at 1:00 off the gas block, and it works just as well (no shadow and doesn’t illuminate the front sight).

Yes, the tape switch is both constant and momentary (the round button is constant, and the longer tape switch is momentary). Allot of people argue about having a light on a gun (i.e. gives away your position) but to me it's just another tool that you don't have to use if the situation doesn't require (much like my concealed carry gun). I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it)

I have the same setup (light and switch) on my M-16 w/11” bbl, with the light mounted at 1:00 off the gas block, and it works just as well (no shadow and doesn’t illuminate the front sight).

Yeah, I was goofing off with the light mounted for the last few days with my high-tech low drag mount. I like the configuration enough to dive in head first now.

Personally, I like a light on every weapon I have. I think that having a light is always an advantage. Did I mention I really like lights too?

Here was my dry run test mount to see if I'd like the configuration... :eek:

IMG_1835.jpg

Yes, the tape switch is both constant and momentary (the round button is constant, and the longer tape switch is momentary). Allot of people argue about having a light on a gun (i.e. gives away your position) but to me it's just another tool that you don't have to use if the situation doesn't require (much like my concealed carry gun). I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it) :)

well they can argue all they want, but its dark at night and I can't shoot at stuff I can't see, noise can give away your position as well they must all be ninjas

well they can argue all they want, but its dark at night and I can't shoot at stuff I can't see, noise can give away your position as well they must all be ninjas

The reality is
you can shoot
stuff you can't see, the trouble is
when you
shoot something you
didn't properly
identify!

The reality is
you can shoot
stuff you can't see, the trouble is
when you
shoot something you
didn't properly
identify!

visual is how I identify if I am going to use lethal force, maybe you can shoot stuff you can't see, but like I said I have not yet made it to Master Po status, unless say someone is kicking my door down and has not identified themselves as a LEO, after verbal request even then could be a fake LEO, yes maybe then in a few scenarios, but I think lights are a good thing, as well as visual identification, many hunter has been killed by someone shooting moving bushes and such

visual is how I identify if I am going to use lethal force, maybe you can shoot stuff you can't see, but like I said I have not yet made it to Master Po status, unless say someone is kicking my door down and has not identified themselves as a LEO, after verbal request even then could be a fake LEO, yes maybe then in a few scenarios, but I think lights are a good thing, as well as visual identification, many hunter has been killed by someone shooting moving bushes and such

I couldn't agree more.

Where is the guy who claims, "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius" when it comes to using no weapon light period? Or how bad guys fire at light sources. The one that has never used simunitions or even impromptu airsoft for force on force training.

Activation control and momentary control function are the keys to using a white light to your advantage.

I like that Nordic clamp setup alot and Nordic makes great stuff. I think I might get that and a X300 for my M2 tactical. I was thinking about the dedicated Surefire forend but the LED version is really expensive. Some say its like holding onto a pringles can. I really like the stock forend on the M2 Tactical and its rock solid too.

The tape setup reminds me of this...

homedefense2.jpg

I was thinking about the dedicated Surefire forend but the LED version is really expensive. Some say its like holding onto a pringles can. I really like the stock forend on the M2 Tactical and its rock solid too.

I just sold a Surefire 617lf for my M1 with only handleing it in the house. It wiggled in every direction and made an otherwise fast gun feel bulky.

You can get a high powered LED bulb for the P60 series of surefires for nearly nothing these days and get close to 300 lumens...for about $15.

That said, I am going to run this M600c Scout with a tape switch and I just ordered a CDM mount for it as well as the Nordic ones are a little bigger and I don't think the finish matches as well. YMMV.

fnnnpp001.jpg

It is a lightweight light... and has good spill for a shotgun light. I don't love the idea of getting the weight way out on the end but I can drop the light on and off quickly with the mount.

I'd run a pressure switch to my thumb side of the forearm and be adding just a few oz and I'd get my tight forearm back on the gun.

What says the Benelli crowd?

Rezarf,

You running an 8 MOA dot on the RMR Dual Illum? How to you like it? Thinking about replacing my Burris FFII. Have one (8 MOA) on an FN FNP 45 tactical and like it. I guess I could try it myself, but as the FFII is set-up and I have an RMR on back order (battery 4 MOA) I was planning to use I thought I'd just wait. Your picture has me rethinking it though. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I just sold a Surefire 617lf for my M1 with only handleing it in the house. It wiggled in every direction and made an otherwise fast gun feel bulky.

You can get a high powered LED bulb for the P60 series of surefires for nearly nothing these days and get close to 300 lumens...for about $15.

That said, I am going to run this M600c Scout with a tape switch and I just ordered a CDM mount for it as well as the Nordic ones are a little bigger and I don't think the finish matches as well. YMMV.

I ordered a CDM because of your thread thanks, looks like a great piece of kit.

MOD-C, BMT clamp or MT clamp? Did you get the one with the 3 rail slots and the sling swivel?

BMT clamp 3 slot no swivel, for me, mounting a x300, get swivel if you want to mont a sling there, the slot size is up to what your going to mount, both sides can have a rail, you could use the other clamps as well depending on what light your using, and position you want it, I like the structural mating of the barrel and tube, that the BMT does

http://www.cdmgear.com/faq.html

Edited by Charlton

Rezarf,

You running an 8 MOA dot on the RMR Dual Illum? How to you like it? Thinking about replacing my Burris FFII. Have one (8 MOA) on an FN FNP 45 tactical and like it. I guess I could try it myself, but as the FFII is set-up and I have an RMR on back order (battery 4 MOA) I was planning to use I thought I'd just wait. Your picture has me rethinking it though. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Sorry bud, not my gun... just where I am heading for a light. I prefer irons, but if the budget allowed I would try a red dot on a scatter gun. :D

I painted my front sight blade orange if that counts?

I ordered a CDM because of your thread thanks, looks like a great piece of kit.

I should get mine this week, I hope it lives up to my expectations. I will write up a review when it gets here.

Where is the best place to get a CDM mount and tape switch? I usually go to brownells because I get a nice discount. I have a couple of surefires a E2 Executive Elite with the LED and the G2. Ill have to check out the P60 series, thanks.

Search Cree Q5 or R5 on ebay. Most of the LEDs come from there reguardless of what product they end up in. Just watch for the correct voltage rating (your G2 is 6v for instance) and then you can choose mulit-functions from there.

MOD-C, BMT clamp or MT clamp? Did you get the one with the 3 rail slots and the sling swivel?

I bought the BMT 3 rail. No swivel... but I can add one later as the system is modular.

BMT clamp 3 slot no swivel, for me, mounting a x300, get swivel if you want to mont a sling there, the slot size is up to what your going to mount, both sides can have a rail, you could use the other clamps as well depending on what light your using, and position you want it, I like the structural mating of the barrel and tube, that the BMT does

http://www.cdmgear.com/faq.html

Post up some pics of your setup! Sounds great.