Choke Tube Stuck Beyond Local Gunsmith Repair

B'Haven

I recently inherited an older M1, H and K. Which has a stuck choke tube, after I could not release I had the local Gunsmith try and he deemed it stuck. My question is what now? Do I try all of the ideas posted on prior threads myself? have the 26" barrel cut to a shorter barrel and rethreaded? or does anyone have a contact for a really good gunsmith, machine shop that will grind it out. I love the gun and it has a lot of personal value to me, I just don't want to make the problem worse by doing anything myself since the local Gunsmith has already thrown in the towel. All Advice would be great.

Get a new gunsmith, where are you located?

I would get some good PB Blaster or other penetrating oil, and start to spray it down a few times for a week or so. I would tap and heat it up to (not too hot, a heat gun would be fine). Smack it with a nylon hammer.

Have you tried a speedy wrench, they are a fantastic design. If you have, carefully imploying a cold chisel and hammer should be able to knock it clear. Worst case scenario... you booger it up and have to chop it anyhow.

Heat, tap, drench with PB, try to knock it out with the chisel... repeat.

I have no idea what the amount of heat would do to the barrel, so try this at your own risk. I worked as a mechanic for several years, and when we would get a stubborn bolt that would not break free (exhaust manifold bolts were the worse, many heat cycles and generally rusted all to ****) we would heat them up, then hold a candle (not lit)on the bolt, as close to the threads as we could. The wax would wick into the threads and help to remove stubborn bolts. Hope this helps ya

I will continue to try another round with PB and heat. How hot do you want it to get? I wondered about putting the small sunflower propane heater under it to give it moderate radiant heat to try and keep a larger barrel area warm instead of a smaller area with a heat gun or hair dryer. Any thoughts?

Another auto mechanic suggestion. They make a very small hack saw. When I had a spark plug that was broken off with the threads still in the hole I would use this saw to cut through to the threads by cutting down the middle then make a cut on the opposite side.Now with a split on both sides you can use a punch and tap the pieces towards the center and lift out the pieces.Run a tap down it to clear the threads. Use antiseize so this doesnt happen again.

Also' date=' mentioned was a speedy wrench, can you give a little more detail to that.[/quote']

Here is what one looks like. It is basically an insert that expands to create pressure on the inside of the tube. Then you can twist it out.

I recommended the heat gun to avoid getting the barrel so hot (as with a torch) to affect the heat temper of the steel. However, another trick is to stick the barrel in the freezer and let it get nice and cold, then yank it out and hit it with the heat gun right at the choke, the thermal difference can pop the rusty bond freeing the choke (or bolt).

PB blaster... give it a shot. I have an old 76 Landcruiser that had a ton of rusted bolts on it, I have fought with more rusty bolts than I care to mention. Tap it with a chisel as well... it WILL come out.

Taking it to a good machine shop... they can get it out quick as well I bet, but at a cost.

Thank you all for the help, I am going to shoot a few more pheasants for our last weekend and order a part and get after it starting next week. I will keep you posted as to what worked. Whatever tactic that may be. I will try them all if needed. Thanks again.

A couple of things you can do. 1. Buy a cheap 3/8" drive socket that barely fits inside the tube, but with some play. Sand the chrome finish off the socket and leave the bare metal surface as rough as possible. Clean and degrease the inside of the choke tube and rough it up with coarse sandpaper as well. Using a quality epoxy like Brownells Acraglass or Brownells Steel Bed, affix the socket inside the tube and let it cure for at least 48 hours. Once cured, insert a 3/8" drive into the socket and give it a twist. You may want to chuck the barrel in a protected vise to gain more leverage. Don't squeeze the barrel. Simply clamp it down at the magazine tube ring to prevent it from twisting. 2. Locate a machine shop in your area that has good equipment and skilled personnel. Take another tube with you for reference and ask them to cut the stuck tube down to with a few thousandths and chip it out for you. I share an office with such a machine shop, and those guys could make short work of the project.
Try this at your own risk