Bore Thunder Rounds

jalso

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Bore Thunder rounds and the M4? (search "bore thunder" on google, I can't post links). They're a diversionary device, much like a flash bang only without the BATF hassles. They produce a rapport of 182 dB, a flash of 6 million candle power, and a pressure wave of 1.5 atmospheres. That's equivalent to the sound of one pound of TNT at 15 feet, and a flash that's brighter than most lighthouses. The intent is to render anyone in a room where it's fired temporarily blind and deaf for up to a half hour. In a home defense situation, their use may result in not having to resort to deadly force to defend one self.

The manufacturer (ALS) states that they are not to be used with screw in chokes. I called them and talked to one of their techs, who told me that the problem arises if the diameter of the choke is even slightly less than the bore. The pressure will grab the lip and blow the choke right out the front of the barrel. He also said that even if the choke perfectly matches the diameter of the bore, if it's overtightened the lip will deform slightly, and it will go bye-bye as well. Knowing this, I can be careful about what choke to use.

My question is, does anyone have any experience with Bore Thunder rounds used in a Benelli M4, and if so, what choke was used?

Thanks much!

Edited by jalso

if your in my castle I would rather kill you, than deaf and blind myself too, are you supposed to use ear protection? just one more thing to find when stuff goes bump in the night, will be interesting to hear if anyone has used them, kinda sounds like a dumb idea to me of course that is an off the cuff ignorant assumption

They're primarily used by corrections and police officers for crowd control and riots. The idea is to gain compliance over any potential bad guys before putting yourself at risk. They could also be used in a situation where there are both good guys and bad guys in the same room - say a family member and an intruder. They're a less lethal option that have a limited, but useful role.

Edited by jalso

"They're primarily used by corrections and police officers for crowd control and riots."

this role I can see, the HD role makes no sense, my gun will not be loaded with less than lethal rounds for that role, I see your point not wanting to shot a loved one, but it seems if they were that close you would be almost in a hostage situation, just not feeling it for HD, Now a riot situation maybe where your geared up for it, it just seems like there are better solutions already for that. Seems like a double edge sword that could incapacitate the user as well. Hey it could be the next best thing,just like I said just my ignorant opinion

182 dB in an enclosed space = noise-induced hearing loss

A standard 12-gauge firearm fired one time in an enclosed space can sometimes result in moderate damage to hearing. I can only imagine what this would do. In a very large room (like a prison cell block) the sound and concussion is allowed to be more disbursed. Take that same noise and concussion into your toddler's bedroom to confront an attacker, and you might be looking at permanent hearing damage for everyone in the room. Not to mention that you aren't disabling your attacker. He will probably be stunned, but you probably will be too. Not a good situation.