optics vs. my m4's stock iron sights?

slider76

Hello all,

This is kind of a two-part question.

I'm setting up my m4 for home defense primarily.

I'm thinking about the urbino (and also potentially kip's replacement picatinny rail), but had a couple questions.

1. does having a cheek riser installed create a less than ideal cheek weld for shooting through stock iron sights?

2. what are the advantages of an optic over the stock iron sights or a tritium front dot?

I'm a strong believer in KISS and also don't see myself really engaging anything beyond 10-15 yards. The only thing i can think of would be an end-of-the-world hunting situation, but other than that, I'm not sure what the advantages of an optic would be. Again, in a home defense or LA riot type scenario in an urban/ suburban setting, I'm not likely to engage anything beyond 20 yards at the most (across the street/ down the block).

At this point, I'm leaning towards the urbino with limbsaver but without the cheek riser for economical reasons.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Slider

The Meprolights are nice. The rear set are very small lamps. Most think this is a bad thing, but they are designed to be small on purpose. Their intent isn't for you to align the 3 dots. It is to offer you a visual frame of reference to where the rear sights are.

If you buy some, get a 5.5mm wrench ahead of time to get the front sight apart. Many would opt that you replace the retaining nut rather than reuse it. It can be found at Brownells.

For me having an optic means I can shot and aim with both eyes opened.

By the way, Midway USA is having a special on Aimpoint micro R-1.

I can't post a link since I'm new so do a search on it.

I found out about this on M4carbine.net. It's basically a silver H-1 model.

The R-1 is being discontinued which is why they're doing a blowout sale.

I just picked one up for my M4.