GG&G bolt release pad

Diabolus

I've read several times on here how difficult it is to install one of these. I'm going to give it a shot, but first, can someone who has successfully installed one without damaging anything on their shotgun please tell me exactly what tools I need to purchase?

Thanks!!!!

You really need a 3/32" roll pin punch to start. I would also put the gun upside down and put a drop of CLP in there, leave it overnight, and proceed to remove it. Then, you'll need some sort of slave pin to hold everything together while you drive the pin back in. A 3/32" drill bit works great. This is way easier than you think and I really had no issues installing mine. PM me your number if you want and I'd be happy to give you a buzz and walk you through it. :)

DSCN1433.jpg

Edited by KB Fab

You really need a 3/32" roll pin punch to start. I would also put the gun upside down and put a drop of CLP in there, leave it overnight, and proceed to remove it. Then, you'll need some sort of slave pin to hold everything together while you drive the pin back in. A 3/32" drill bit works great. This is way easier than you think and I really had no issues installing mine.

Wish I had these directions when I did mine. It was probably the hardest part on the gun I've installed so far, and it was all down to the roll pin being a PITA to get out of the gun and the new one back in.

Look to see where the spring is before you disassemble the unit. Note the depth of the roll pin. If it isn't seated fully, it will interfere with the bolt carrier. Kb fab covered the tool requirements. It's easy with the right tools.

It wasn't until I had the roll pin fully seated that the bolt release stopped interfering with the bolt carrier. My problem was that I initially had such a hard time getting the new roll pin back into the receiver that it wasn't in all the way and that allowed the bolt release plate inside the receiver to angle inwards slightly and catch on the bolt carrier as it cycled during testing. A 3/32" drill bit would definitely have helped keep the parts aligned and the pin go back in easier. Wish I had thought of that.

IIRC, the Nordic Components button is a simple round part that requires "you" to drill and tap your carrier latch. Not a super technical thing but it would be tricky for the average hobbyist. The only problem I see with this one is the potential for the button to loosen and spin. You could mitigate that some with loctite but the whole design doesn't leave me feeling too confident.

The Arredondo bolt release I am less familiar with but I personally did not like the long skinny shape and the fact that it was a plastic part. Simply my opinion, nothing else.

The GG&G bolt release is what I consider to be a well designed and executed part. Yes it is expensive but IMHO you get what you pay for. First, they modify a stock carrier latch and do it in such a way that the pad is fully secure on the post and will not spin. There are a couple of notches machined into the post that correspond with the pocket on the pad and they match up superbly. I also really like the shape and texture. It makes for a very positive feel when employing. I also enjoyed learning a little about my weapon with the install. Sure it is somewhat tricky getting everything lined back up but it really isn't that difficult.

I went back and forth for some time before I decided to go ahead and shell out for the GG&G. To me, it's money well spent.

Agreed. There are two things that the OEM M4 could definitely improve upon right out of the box (922r compliance aside) ... One is a shorter stock, and the other is a larger bolt release pad. Though extremely expensive, the GG&G version is absolutely worth it. Considering this was designed as a combat shotgun, a larger release like the GG&G should have been OEM from the start.

Agreed. There are two things that the OEM M4 could definitely improve upon right out of the box (922r compliance aside) ... One is a shorter stock, and the other is a larger bolt release pad. Though extremely expensive, the GG&G version is absolutely worth it. Considering this was designed as a combat shotgun, a larger release like the GG&G should have been OEM from the start.

The LOP of the factory stock is PERFECT for those of us that are 6' 4" :D

IIRC, the Nordic Components button is a simple round part that requires "you" to drill and tap your carrier latch. Not a super technical thing but it would be tricky for the average hobbyist. The only problem I see with this one is the potential for the button to loosen and spin. You could mitigate that some with loctite but the whole design doesn't leave me feeling too confident.

The Arredondo bolt release I am less familiar with but I personally did not like the long skinny shape and the fact that it was a plastic part. Simply my opinion, nothing else.

The GG&G bolt release is what I consider to be a well designed and executed part. Yes it is expensive but IMHO you get what you pay for. First, they modify a stock carrier latch and do it in such a way that the pad is fully secure on the post and will not spin. There are a couple of notches machined into the post that correspond with the pocket on the pad and they match up superbly. I also really like the shape and texture. It makes for a very positive feel when employing. I also enjoyed learning a little about my weapon with the install. Sure it is somewhat tricky getting everything lined back up but it really isn't that difficult.

I went back and forth for some time before I decided to go ahead and shell out for the GG&G. To me, it's money well spent.

Will the GG&G scratch the finish on the receiver?

The LOP of the factory stock is PERFECT for those of us that are 6' 4" :D

Relatively speaking ... the shorter stocks are better for me. ;)

They're also good for shooters that wear plates.

Will the GG&G scratch the finish on the receiver?

It's marking mine. Hard to tell if it's actually scratching it or if whatever is there will just wipe off from the M4 anodizing like most stuff does.

It's crazy how well AlumaBlack works. I had a small scratch on my receiver when I was trying to get the bolt catch lever pin in and out just to install the GG&G bolt release pad. Initially tried to fix it with superBlack but you could easily spot it on the super smooth receiver. Finally found my bottle of AlumaBlack (covered in dust!), and a few quick minutes later the scratch was gone!

• 9 months later...