Cracked choke tube.....

Bowhunter82

I have an SBE II, that I've had for about 6 months, and have only shot about 4-5 boxes of 3.5 steel 2's and BB's out of this year. I have only shot modified choke. While doing maintenance on the gun yesterday, I took the choke tube out, and noticed a stress crack down the entire choke. Has anybody had this happen / is it at all common to these crio tubes? Would it just be that the choke was faulty to begin with / metal was weak? I'm hopin Benelli will help me out on this one.

Edited by Bowhunter82

Guest cleefurd

Unfortunately steel shot can and does cause this more often than lead. If the choke states steel is OK (MOD ought to be "FULL" for steel so my recollection is you're GTG), I'd check with the manufacturer, and indicate you suspect possible tempering errors subsequent to the heat treating process. Assuming they take your account at face value (which they should if they can examine the part for heat treating flaws), then you ought to get a replacement.

Good luck with it, and hopefully it did not bulge the barrel adjacent to the threads when it split.:(

The barrel is okay to the naked eye, and I can screw the IC choke in fine. It tightens up and seems to be alright. A further question is, would I possibly need to send the barrel in for inspection of some sort in case of small stress cracks/failures in the barrel now, that I just can't see? I don't need that blowing up on me. And, yes, the modified is "steel shot ok", anything tighter and I would have a problem.

In my opinion, I wish steel shot loads would go the way of the Dodo! I say this because steel shot is "hard" stuff compared to lead and the alloys. Steel shot is hard on barrels as well as chokes because there is little to no compression of the pellets as the shot travels through the barrel and choke. Imagine the pressure on the threads in the barrel and choke as the shot exits! The new alloy loads are easier on the metals and generally give better performance then steel. Steel loads, however are usually cheaper.

When I got into the business of making my own design choke, I decided to go with 17-4PH SS. It is a bit more in price compared to steel and harder to machine and hard on tools, but the tensile strength is very high! That means it can take steel loads and survive by giving just a bit! A lot of the aftermarket chokes use 17-4PH SS.

GTPSC

http://www.blackborechokes.com

Talked to customer service today. They didn't seem too surprised at the problem. Sending me a new choke, and don't even want to see the cracked tube.

Bowhunter82, Congrats on the new replacement. If you would, let us know how long it takes to receive it. So far it sounds as though their Customer Service is Awesome! I’ve never dealt with them but have heard horror stories. It’s nice to hear positive feedback once in awhile.

• 1 month later...