Meprolight for M4 question

xamoel

Hi folks,

originally I planned to add Trijicon night sights to my M4, but as they don't accept orders from Europe, I'm thinking of going the Meprolight way.

So this is to those who have them installed:

-First of all, what do you think of them? How's the quality compared to Trijicon?

-Are the rear dots smaller than the front dot? Is it easy to distinguish all three dots in the dark?

-How bright are they, compared to Trijicon if possible?

-And what do I need for the installation? How do I get my rear sight off? Should I order a new front sight retaining nut already?

Thanks!

Generally, I buy trijicon's over other brands. The Meprolights are good on the Benelli. Not great though. They lack the white ring around the lamps that aids in daytime visibility.

The rear set is small on purpose. You cannot align the 3 dots like on a handgun because your face sits too close to the rear. They just blur out as you focus on the front sight or the target. Their value is to give you a visual reference as to where the ghost ring is so you can quickly index your head to the shotguns sights. You wouldn't want larger or a brighter rear IMO.

The rear is easy to replace. All you need is a flathead screw driver. The front will require an open ended 5.5mm wrench. It is recommended that you replace the front sight nut, but not required. The nylock ring is only good for one use. So use blue locktite if you opt to reuse it.

You'll be happy with the Meprolights I think.

Stev

exactly, they lack the white outlines. but right now I see no possibility in getting the trijicons (if they didn't had to be send to tooltech gunsight, it would probably be possible), there is no other option.

maybe I can get someone to have them sent there, but that's just wishful thinking for now.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but might save you some money.

Personally, I knew I would wouldn’t be happy with the Meprolight sights and would later end up purchasing a (both eyes open) quick acquisition type optics for my M4, so I passed on the Meprolight replacements and saved up for the Leupold Prismatic Tactical scope (Lifetime Warranty). It has etched reticles for daytime shooting and illumination settings for dawn or dusk shooting. Fits, Works & Looks nice! Some guys have the EoTech 552.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold-63300-1x14-tactical-prismatic-rifle-scope.html

I know this doesn't answer your question, but might save you some money.

Personally, I knew I would wouldn’t be happy with the Meprolight sights and would later end up purchasing a (both eyes open) quick acquisition type optics for my M4, so I passed on the Meprolight replacements and saved up for the Leupold Prismatic Tactical scope (Lifetime Warranty). It has etched reticles for daytime shooting and illumination settings for dawn or dusk shooting. Fits, Works & Looks nice! Some guys have the EoTech 552.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold-63300-1x14-tactical-prismatic-rifle-scope.html

Do you happen to have a pic of the Prismatic mounted on your M4?

KB Fab, I do not have pictures of my Benelli M4's at present. I'll take some pics tomorrow (not a professional Photographer) and down load a picture of them.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't that a Leupold Prismatic Tact on your M4? Sure looks like one. Your mount looks a little different. Of course mine are mounted lower and hovers just a little tighter above the rear sights.

KB Fab, I do not have pictures of my Benelli M4's at present. I'll take some pics tomorrow (not a professional Photographer) and down load a picture of them.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't that a Leupold Prismatic Tact on your M4? Sure looks like one. Your mount looks a little different. Of course mine are mounted lower and hovers just a little tighter above the rear sights.

Yep, mine is a Prismatic as well on a Larue mount.. I was just curious to see how you had yours mounted.

The Meprolights are good on the Benelli. Not great though. They lack the white ring around the lamps that aids in daytime visibility.

Stev

I don't know why the Benelli Meprolights don't have the white ring. The Meprolights on my Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II have it, and they are great in any light. Plus they are very bright compared to the ones on my M2 (seems that's by design?) But that's just me.

KB Fab, here's pics of my babies! This is the first time I ever posted pics, we'll see if this works (cross fingers).

Hum? Guess I have to create some type of folder/file. Be back, hopefully soon.

Sweet! I really like the Prismatic and you have it mounted just like mine.

Thanks KB Fab, What I have coming are, two of Kips FL Ti Tubes & Followers and two FFT’s ½ “ Ti Charging Handles, waiting on Kips Hammer and the FFT forearm/forends to come available (as is everyone else). I am also debating whether to go for the Sidearmor’s Short Rail-6 and the GG&G’s Bolt Release Pads, then take the A$$ whipping from the wife when she finds out… as you see, every accessory is twice the cost.

About that Larue mount, are you able to get that Prismatic any closer to your rear sights without it touching? I really like that quick disconnect option. Dang it! There’s another $160.

Sorry Xamoel, I don’t mean to hi-jack your thread, but it’s nice to know we all have the same sickness….. Accessories!!!:D

• 3 years later...

I know this is a dead thread but a lot of people on here talk about "lining up the dots". The benelli m4 is not aimed in this way. It is aimed by centering the fsp in the rear aperture. The dots look like Micky Mouse head and ears. The darker trijicon are less distracting in daylight because you stop looking at the dots and line up things correctly. At night, Mouse head.

• 5 years later...
1 hour ago, StrangerDanger said:

Tooltech will install Trijicon lamps into your OEM front and rear aperture. But the last time I looked, they wanted an insane amount of money. Like 250 bucks. 

OH GOOD LAWD!

Given that amount of $, is there an optic + mount (for any amount) that would make more sense?

*thx SD

The Aimpoint Micro RDS are virtually indestructible. Daniel Defense blew up a DD M4 with a T1 mounted on it using 27# of Tannerite. The T1 ended up with a broken rear lens yet it still held zero. Then they dropped it out of a helicopter - TWICE (they forgot to turn the camera on the first time so they had a do-over). Only after the helicopter drops did the T1 really lose zero. The Micro on a A.R.M.S. #31 mount is pretty low profile on the Benelli M4, plus the A.R.M.S. mount doesn't chew up the Benelli rail like the Larue.

Jump to 19:20 -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMUASQMt5l8

Edited by Sukhoi_fan