Any interest in a pistol grip (only) stock for the supernova taac?

d

I have desigined a pistol grip stock for the super nova, just a working prototype. Does anyone have any interest in a product like this?

Shot me a PM or respond to this thread.

- D.

supernovapistolgrip.jpg

I am also working on a side or top folding wire sholder stock to attach to this.

Pretty sure that if it didn't come from the factory with a pistol grip you will be changing its classification, thus making it illegal. When you buy a shotgun with a pistol grip they are classified as an "Any other weapon (AOW)", not as a regular shotgun. Also, the Super Nova comes with a comfortech stock. Why would you use a super nova rather than a regular nova?

Good to know that it doesn't have a recoil tube. I assumed it did based on pictures of the stock replacment process. There's a metal rod there where the recoil tube is on their autoloaders. I assumed it was the same thing on the Nova--or, more accurately, I thought it to be a guide rod since it doesn't need a recoil spring.

Pretty sure that if it didn't come from the factory with a pistol grip you will be changing its classification, thus making it illegal. When you buy a shotgun with a pistol grip they are classified as an "Any other weapon (AOW)", not as a regular shotgun. Also, the Super Nova comes with a comfortech stock. Why would you use a super nova rather than a regular nova?

The are only a class 3 weapon (AOW) if the barrel is less than 18" or overall length is less than 26"

Thank you,

-D.

Below is a list of definitions from the Federal Firearm Regs. Also keep in mind, if the shotgun being sold has a pistol grip on it, the transfree (buyer) must be 21 yrs of age.

The definition of a shotgun under the GCA, 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(5),

is “a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosives to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or single projectile for each single pull of the trigger. Under the GCA, 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(29)(A), handgun means “a firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand.” Federal law provides under 18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1), that if the firearm to be transferred is “other than a rifle or shotgun,” the purchaser must be 21 years of age or older.

Certain commercially produced firearms do not fall within the definition of shotgun under the GCA even though they utilize a shotgun shell for ammunition. For example, firearms that come equipped with a pistol grip in place of the buttstock are not shotguns as defined by the GCA.

A firearm with a pistol grip in lieu of the shoulder stock is not designed to be fired from the shoulder and, therefore, is not a shotgun. Since it is a firearm “other than a rifle or shotgun,” the purchaser must be 21 years of age or older. Additionally, interstate controls apply. The licensee and transferee must be residents of the same State.

TITLE 18, UNITED STATE CODE, CHAPTER 44

Short-barreled shotgun.

A shotgun having one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length, and any weapon made from a shotgun, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

THE NATIONAL FIREARMS ACT

TITLE 26, UNITED STATES CODE, CHAPTER 53

INTERNAL REVENUE CODE

(d) Shotgun.

The term 'shotgun' means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the

energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of projectiles (ball shot) or a single projectile for each pull of the trigger, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire a fixed shotgun shell.

(e) Any other weapon.

The term 'any other weapon' means any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive, a pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell, weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire. Such term shall not include a pistol or a revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons designed, made, or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of firing fixed ammunition.

Edited by BEAR_ICE

Yes it does. The OP is mistaken.:rolleyes:

I regret to differ with you KB. Here is a schematic of the Nova's. This is part of the reason these kick so hard with shooting magnum rounds. It did take a little edge off of mine, but not much. See Bottom Left picture of stock and Recoil System.

picture.php?albumid=149&pictureid=612

I regret to differ with you KB. Here is a schematic of the Nova's. This is part of the reason these kick so hard with shooting magnum rounds. It did take a little edge off of mine, but not much. See Bottom Left picture of stock and Recoil System.

picture.php?albumid=149&pictureid=612

Well you can differ all you want but you might also want to go back and read what I quoted. He asked about the "Super" Nova, not the Nova.;) The Super Nova has a recoil tube.

Well you can differ all you want but you might also want to go back and read what I quoted. He asked about the "Super" Nova, not the Nova.;) The Super Nova has a recoil tube.

AHH your right KB, d has a Super Nova and I have the Nova Tactical. If I’m not mistaken, and help me out here... the differences are the Nova is one piece stock, its recoil dampener system is the 14 oz. Mercury Cylinder & Bracket and able to interchange two barrels 18 ½ smooth bore & rifled.

Now the Super Nova Differences are three interchangeable Stocks with the recoil built in them; Standard ComforTech Stock, Pistol Grip with LimbSaver Pad or Collapsible Stock with LimbSaver Pad. The Super Nova also comes in Desert Camo, Seven Stock Shims, Comb Inserts. Other differences are the Revised Trigger Guard, Receiver Drilled & Tapped for Scope Mount and the ability to interchange four barrels 18 ½, 24, 26, 28.

Sounds like our differences are in the terminology of a “Recoil Tube”. There might be a tube in the stock of a Super Nova, I don’t know for I don’t own this weapon. I also can’t seem to find a schematic on this specific model.

My question is, if there is a tube, is it really for recoil? I wouldn’t think so. As I look at the schematics on the Nova, which are the same internals in the Super Nova (I watched a few disassemblies of the SN on YouTube). I see no Link attached to the Bolt Carrier which would depress a recoil spring inside a tube. This tells me there is no Recoil Tube or Spring in either stock of these shotguns. Would you agree with that assessment?

KB, with all due respect this is all for educational purposes, I’m not trying to be right for I have no problem stating I’m wrong. I’m very curious to know why this tube is back there. Is anyone able to take a few pictures of this or explain it's use?

IIRC, the term "recoil tube" applies to the semi-auto's as there is a spring contained within to allow the bolt to come back into battery after the shell is ejected. I use the term as it applies to the SN just because it looks the same even though the same function isn't there. If there is a proper term for the tube in the SN then maybe someone will chime in on that.:)

The Nova doesn't have one because the Nova doesn't give you the option of changing out stocks. The Super Nova, like you stated, has three stocks available and they all attach via this "tube" projecting from the rear of the receiver. Keep in mind that the tube is NOT located "in " the stock but rather the tube attaches to the receiver and the stocks slide over it. It seems to me that the tube is there for the sole purpose of attaching the three different stock assemblies. If I'm operating on inaccurate information then I hope someone chimes in to clear it up.:)

Edited by KB Fab

The are only a class 3 weapon (AOW) if the barrel is less than 18" or overall length is less than 26"

Thank you,

-D.

I think 922® will also apply if you start to mess with the stock and make it "non sporting". If you can put together a kit with the stock and the necessary US parts you might be ok.

I think 922® will also apply if you start to mess with the stock and make it "non sporting". If you can put together a kit with the stock and the necessary US parts you might be ok.

You do not have to wory about the "non sporting" reg. as it is not a semi auto.

-d

that being said, any intrest?

922r covers both pump and semiauto shotguns.

Hmm, I will have my law dogs see about it. Meantime I will just build the pistol grip with the folding stock.

This should cover all bases. I will post pics when done.

-d.