Shot-Show BATFE visit

BEAR_ICE

I was at the Shot-Show today and stopped by the BATFE Booth. I struck up a conversation with the BATFE’s Attorney about the 922r compliance parts. BATFE stance is exactly what “carriercomp” and Freedom Fighter Tactical have been stating all along. An M4 with a Collapsible Stock needs 3 parts to be replaced and a Full Stock with Pistol Grips needs 2 parts replaced. After these parts are swapped out with USA Made Parts (which he stated they did NOT need to be stamped “MADE IN USA”) M4 owners are good to go.

I also asked him if M4 owners needed to submit a letter to BATFE for the recognition of approved alternate parts. He stated “No”. He stated agents know the quality of an Italian made part vs a knock off version of American made. Then we all laughed.

He did mention that the SL8 conversion to high cap mags falls under the same compliance issues. So don’t mess around unless you have alternate parts available. Is there anyone who is making aftermarket parts for the SL8?

He did take my name off my badge; guess I’ll be hearing some knocks in the middle of the night, sooner than I think:D. So hurry up FFT, we’s in deep doo doo.:eek:

So for compliance, we need to replace three parts. Doesn't the extended magazine tube count as one part from the list? The ATF list identifies "(18) Magazine bodies." as one.

It also lists "(19) Followers." We know that's doable.

But what do we replace for the third?

So for compliance, we need to replace three parts. Doesn't the extended magazine tube count as one part from the list? The ATF list identifies "(18) Magazine bodies." as one.

It also lists "(19) Followers." We know that's doable.

But what do we replace for the third?

Yes, the "USA" made Mag Tube is one part, a follower 2nd part and a Forearm / Forend is a 3rd.

Kip from "carriercomp" makes followers and mag tubes and Freedom Fighter Tactical has proto-type of the Forearm / Forend as we speak. Should be completed between end of Shot-Show or end of February for $50

http://freedomfightertactical.com/products-page/forends-and-followers/the-freedom-fighter-tactical-922r-compliant-forearm-forend/

Good info to hear. I didn't even know the BATFE had a booth.

A magazine tube extension does not count towards US made part compliance. You need a full replacement tube.

In the past, I've heard that 3 parts were needed to be replaced when using a fixed pistol grip stock. 4 parts for the collapsible stock.

1. Full length magazine tube

2. Magazine follower

3. Carriercomp's hammer

4. Carriercomp's disconnector

5. Forearm Assembly FFT's reproduction units will be the way to go for most. Some of the other railed forends will meet compliance too.

He stated agents know the quality of an Italian made part vs a knock off version of American made. Then we all laughed.

Well with carriercomp making top quality stuff you guys are still screwed :p

Agent: "Your M4 does not comply with 922®"

You: "No way, I have replaced all these parts, look at that mag tube!"

Agent: "Yeah, that is way too good to be American made..."

You: *sigh...

Good info to hear. I didn't even know the BATFE had a booth.

A magazine tube extension does not count towards US made part compliance. You need a full replacement tube.

In the past, I've heard that 3 parts were needed to be replaced when using a fixed pistol grip stock. 4 parts for the collapsible stock.

1. Full length magazine tube

2. Magazine follower

3. Carriercomp's hammer

4. Carriercomp's disconnector

5. Forearm Assembly FFT's reproduction units will be the way to go for most. Some of the other railed forends will meet compliance too.

Oops, should have made that clearer, you are correct SD, replace with a "USA MADE" FULL length mag tube..

The BATFE attorney stated only 3 parts.

If anyone else is at the show, stop by their booth, it's down stairs. And see what type of answer you get from them. Don't forget to switch badges with your friend ;)

Well with carriercomp making top quality stuff you guys are still screwed :p

Agent: "Your M4 does not comply with 922®"

You: "No way, I have replaced all these parts, look at that mag tube!"

Agent: "Yeah, that is way too good to be American made..."

You: *sigh...

Through our (BATFE & I) conversations, I also shared with him that I never heard of anyone being arrested, charged or imprisoned for the 922r or the (other reg number this affects). He stated they use this "Tack On" charge to make the criminal plea guilty to the initial charge. They don't have the man power to go all over the nation looking for this specific issue. If your a criminal, they'll find alternate charges for you, so you submit to a guilty plea.

From reading all these posts on the M4, I would say "We All" are upstanding law abiding citizens, doing the right thing, Compliance. Criminals don't care.

atf has bigger fish to fry than law abiding citizens who happen to own a few benelli's. man power is aimed at the criminal element - but if rumors do the work they just let them fly - common sense tells me they are not interested in guys posting on the internet - they are interested in guys doing biz with throw away cell phones. why worry about what you can't really control beyond trying your best to be compliant.

Yes, the "USA" made Mag Tube is one part, a follower 2nd part and a Forearm / Forend is a 3rd.

Kip from "carriercomp" makes followers and mag tubes and Freedom Fighter Tactical has proto-type of the Forearm / Forend as we speak. Should be completed between end of Shot-Show or end of February for $50

http://freedomfightertactical.com/products-page/forends-and-followers/the-freedom-fighter-tactical-922r-compliant-forearm-forend/

I thought Kip said I needed FOUR parts since I'm in CA and have a M1014 (even though it doesn't collapse)

Replace as many as reasonably possible. You never know when you will get an a-hole, a rookie or an outright moron. Many threegunners were denied the right to use their M4 because of the evil tube extensions. Their RO said it wasn't legal. Therefor, they didnt get to play.

So when this special group in our society are encountered, it is best to have your bases covered. Parts that say US made are better than ones that do not. The reason being is the onlooker in a position of power is a moron and probably couldn't tell a factory follower from a Brownells one.

Consider that the BATFE is lax on 922, right now. Will they always be? Will new laws be penned? Will grandfather clauses exist for preexisting compliant weapons?

carriercomp has shown their products to be superior to Benelli's factory parts. It's not a step backwards in quality like with many manufacturers making products for the M4. I forsee Kip making a package deal for compliance in the very near future. Mag tube, mag follower, hammer and disconnector. Probably for 250 - 275$.

Replace as many as reasonably possible. You never know when you will get an a-hole, a rookie or an outright moron. Many threegunners were denied the right to use their M4 because of the evil tube extensions. Their RO said it wasn't legal. Therefor, they didnt get to play.

So when this special group in our society are encountered, it is best to have your bases covered. Parts that say US made are better than ones that do not. The reason being is the onlooker in a position of power is a moron and probably couldn't tell a factory follower from a Brownells one.

Consider that the BATFE is lax on 922, right now. Will they always be? Will new laws be penned? Will grandfather clauses exist for preexisting compliant weapons?

carriercomp has shown their products to be superior to Benelli's factory parts. It's not a step backwards in quality like with many manufacturers making products for the M4. I forsee Kip making a package deal for compliance in the very near future. Mag tube, mag follower, hammer and disconnector. Probably for 250 - 275$.

I cant wait for this!!

I'm surprised someone isn't making replacement pistons yet. The design is fairly simple and would be the easiest 4th part to make allowing for the C-stock; now that a new forend is coming soon!

I heard of one guy over on shotgunner that was making his own, but he never replied to to see if he'd make more.